• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
OBS Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

Excuse me for butting in...

I am very close to where you are at, just across the valley towards Kempton. That "lull" was real. If you look at previous posts, alot of people described the same before teh winds cranked up ~9:00-1:30 AM Then the SE winds came in. One of the scariest moments was the hours where my windows were visibly flexing from the winds.

A few friends in Kutztown burrough, shielded by hills around them, did not experience any winds close tothe winds that higher locals did.

It is very possible that higher up you were the stronger gusts got.

Edit: I am still out of power as well

Thanks. You too Darth. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who experienced the lull in the winds.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a pretty interesting figure for here in PA, courtesy of an article on nbc10.com:

As PECO continues to work to restore power to thousands of customers across the area, the company announced the historic impact of Sandy in a press release on Saturday.

Hurricane Sandy caused widespread damage along the East Coast and locally to more than 850,000 PECO customers – making Sandy the most damaging storm in company history.

To put those numbers in context, a PECO spokeswoman told NBC10 the previous record for customers without power was 549,000 during an ice storm in 1994.

We lost power late last night once again!! We have power for 48 hours and now its gone again. This truly does suck! per JCP&L, this was not a planned outage either. a transformer must have blown. all of rt 9 by me is out once again. unreal. Lets just hope its back on by nightfall.

Power's still out for the family in Colts Neck, and has been out since Monday night. You're lucky you got 48 hrs.

We lost power late last night once again!! We have power for 48 hours and now its gone again. This truly does suck! per JCP&L, this was not a planned outage either. a transformer must have blown. all of rt 9 by me is out once again. unreal. Lets just hope its back on by nightfall.

all it takes is a leaning tree or two against a high voltage line and there are no shortage of those.

I have been watching one arc and burn in my woods since 9pm last night, real close to the 200gallon propane tank, two calls from me and two from my neighbour to the power company and still waiting despite it went in as an emergency

Here is some more before and after shots of the jersey shore courtesy of abcnews: http://www.abc.net.a...e-after-photos/

good find. Amazing how much of the beach was eroded in some places.

I'm pretty sure the images with "Gillians" in the title are from Ocean City, NJ.

I'm surprised the south end of OCMD didn't get more damage, looks like just a bunch of sand covering the public parking lot. The hotel i stayed at with friends for senior week (brown buildings on the bottom left of the image, right on the Isle of Wight inlet) looks like it made it through unscathed.

Still no power at homestead in Toms River -- had to tell my wife to shut down the breakers - reports of power surge and appliance damage and possible fire - JCP&L now telling us Friday by midnight.... Also my wife is telling me of heavy snow in Trenton area down 195 on her drive back from work....

a friend has a place in Bethany Beach, i just got an email from him last night, below is the Statistics from his weather station from Sandy!

From my weather station located on the Bethany roof – I wasn’t even sure it survived the storm! (ah, the roof or the weather station!)

Rain 10/28 – 14.43 inches

Rain 10/29 – 20.68 inches!!! (That’s over 35 inches for the two days!)

Most rainfall – 2.29 inches per hour

Highest sustained wind – 40.3 mph

Highest gust – 56.4 mph

Just got here tonight – everything in great shape. We were so lucky!

Yeah I'm quite sure that 35" of rain is completely bogus. No other station, coastal or inland, reported remotely close to that. I think the highest total I saw anywhere was 12 or 13". Definitely a problem with the gauge (maybe it went underwater in the surge or was taking on sea spray?)

Yeah I'm quite sure that 35" of rain is completely bogus. No other station, coastal or inland, reported remotely close to that. I think the highest total I saw anywhere was 12 or 13". Definitely a problem with the gauge (maybe it went underwater in the surge or was taking on sea spray?)

my 1st thought this morning when i read it, that sea spray or something along those lines had to affect that number. It didn't go under water. My other thought was the 1st reading of the 14" could be the total and somehow there was an issue with that it added a second day? Not sure.

• 2 months later...

Archived