Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE Ski GTG

ChrisM

What Mountain?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What Mountain would be best to meet at?

• Jay Peak
    • Smuggs
    • MRG
    • Stowe
    • K-Mart
    • Berkshire East
    • Other

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is Beast any good?

I've been to the Beast once and it was quite good for MA.. don't know how much time it saves over the others though. I didn't vote but I would probably attend if I could.. the place doesn't matter too much. I'd lean towards the Beast or MRG but it's not important for a casual day skiing.

I would vote Sugarbush since I have the season pass there, but I can probably afford to dish out the money someplace else for one day. It bugs me how pricey these places are. I will definitely be a MRG skier once I no longer qualify for the college pass at Sugarbush.

I said Other for Wa Wa. It just seems a bit more central.

Regardless, I haven't thrown on pair of ski's in about 10 years. In fact I think I sold my last pair of K2's about 5 years ago. Would have to rent, but that wouldn't be a big deal. I probably wouldn't be hitting the diamonds like I used to, but I still might consider doing this outing if the timing worked out.

Magic Mountain is also $39 for non-weekends and non-holiday.

Berkshire East is a really good mountain to ski if there is an ample supply of natural snow. Same with Magic, which becomes down right awesome on a powder day. MRG is arguably the most freeking awesome place to ski on the east coast, but it is quite a haul from SNE, and the best terrain on the mountain (off the single chair) requires that skiers really know how to ski well.

Berkshire East is a really good mountain to ski if there is an ample supply of natural snow.

That's definitely how it used to be... Our snowmaking has made enormous strides over the past few years. 'Berkshire Ice' is a thing of the past.

That being said, there is some amazing terrain on powder days that's well off the beaten path. Check out Horace's Grove after a good dump! No, its not on a trail map...

I said Other for Wa Wa. It just seems a bit more central.

Regardless, I haven't thrown on pair of ski's in about 10 years. In fact I think I sold my last pair of K2's about 5 years ago. Would have to rent, but that wouldn't be a big deal. I probably wouldn't be hitting the diamonds like I used to, but I still might consider doing this outing if the timing worked out.

I have an old pair of K2 204 GS skiis and some bump skis (straight, not shaped) you're welcome to. Of course, people look at you like you're wearing leather ski boots when you use straight skis, but I got used to that.

Unfortunately I don't see myself being able to leave northern VT much this winter... Sunday is the only day I have off each week till late April, so if I were able to attend it would most likely have to be on a Sunday. I could meet any day of the week at Stowe for at least a few hours as I'm on the mountain everyday. It would be fun to put some faces to names on here...

I do miss Berkshire/Taconics skiing and the laid back, small, local hill feel. I great up skiing Brodie at nights when I was real young. Anyone remember that place? I was so bummed when they closed and we had to go to Jiminy Peak... Good old Brodie haha. Another spot was Bosquet, and of course Catamount. I've never been to Berkshire East though, so that would be fun to check out.

Unfortunately I don't see myself being able to leave northern VT much this winter... Sunday is the only day I have off each week till late April, so if I were able to attend it would most likely have to be on a Sunday. I could meet any day of the week at Stowe for at least a few hours as I'm on the mountain everyday. It would be fun to put some faces to names on here...

I do miss Berkshire/Taconics skiing and the laid back, small, local hill feel. I great up skiing Brodie at nights when I was real young. Anyone remember that place? I was so bummed when they closed and we had to go to Jiminy Peak... Good old Brodie haha. Another spot was Bosquet, and of course Catamount. I've never been to Berkshire East though, so that would be fun to check out.

Hey Scott, remember when Brodie would make green snow for St.Patrick's day? I grew up skiing at Catamount. It was just a few minutes from home. I played golf this Summer with Jim Kelly the former owner of Brodie. He's in his 80's and full of spit and vinegar. He built his own golf course just down the road from Brodie. It's too bad they've ruined Jiminy. You should checkout Berkshire East, it's the best of the Berkshire areas.

Somebody please hit the lottery and fly us all out here 10 feet plus expected this week with more after that

a6898acf-2449-a9a9.jpg

Is that looking at the reservior from the top of Wachusett? :guitar:

Always wanted to ski the west. Did a week at Whistler-BC back in 1993 (ahead of the Superstorm...booooo!), but that was all cement.

Here are some pics from today... a little ski stoke for the thread. Yesterday evening's snow showers dropped 4-6" of snow (base to summit) with 8-14" in the last 72 hours; typical pattern for the northern Greens is lots of light snow events. They add up over-time but we could use a good synoptic snow, with a decent shot of water-weight, to open most of the natural snow trails. This fluffy, very high ratio, snowfall is fun to ski/ride through but doesn't do much to form a solid base. Luckily, the rain storm last week added some water to the high elevation snowpack, but that firm layer under this week's recent fluff is spotty due to the prior drifting from high winds during the upslope event... making natural snow a bit sketchy, but still a lot of fun.

Some pair laid down nice trakes in the sun on Liftline.

Great morning of sun and fresh pow... more flurries this evening, hopefully we can continue picking up these near-daily light snowfalls if mother nature is going to fail synoptically.

View this evening from town, just off the Mountain Road.. nice December day in Vermont.

Archived