Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE Ski GTG

ChrisM

What Mountain?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What Mountain would be best to meet at?

• Jay Peak
    • Smuggs
    • MRG
    • Stowe
    • K-Mart
    • Berkshire East
    • Other

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Scott, remember when Brodie would make green snow for St.Patrick's day? I grew up skiing at Catamount. It was just a few minutes from home. I played golf this Summer with Jim Kelly the former owner of Brodie. He's in his 80's and full of spit and vinegar. He built his own golf course just down the road from Brodie. It's too bad they've ruined Jiminy. You should checkout Berkshire East, it's the best of the Berkshire areas.

Haha yep I definitely remember the green snow. That place was awesome to me. Brodie is a real fun memory from my childhood, especially the night-skiing... so many nights spent riding those lifts in the dark, just praying for it to dump like it does in the ski movies :snowman:

Somebody please hit the lottery and fly us all out here 10 feet plus expected this week with more after that

a6898acf-2449-a9a9.jpg

My parents took me to Tahoe in 2/86 for a week of skiing. It was raining when we got there. It turned to snow, we skied 1/2 day in a raging snowstorm, then we were told to leave because there was too much snow, nothing was going to be open, and the roads were about to close. With the refund, we went to Utah in the spring. I thought it was incredible skiing, but the local powder snobs thought that anything other than powder was ice. IMHO, anytime the ice is thick enough to protect my skis from rocks, it's all good.

How about we make this thread, when you're hitting the slopes, posyt here, and maybe even a mini GTG can happen?

Awesome! Central/Northern Greens continue to ski quite nicely for pre-Xmas. Some friends from Stowe went skinning/skiing at MRG a couple times this week and they said that MRG had picked up a decent amount of snow this week... more than Stowe/Mansfield. Snowfall up here is so meso-scale driven that its always intriguing to see what specific mountain has fared better throughout the week. Last week the general consensus was that the Bolton to Stowe to Jay stretch of the Spine had the best snow (though it was very good everywhere, the difference between 24-32" and 36-44" is fairly minute). This week everyone seems to think the Sugarbush to MRG region has the best/most fresh snow.

You just never know who is going to get hit, but you can pretty much bet that it will snow somewhere up here. BTV was talking about this the other day, saying that climo this time of year in the central/northern Greens indicates that the probability of precipitation (POPs) is 40-50% on any given day. They were saying if they follow climo, they can just paint 50% chances for snow across the Greens every single day. It makes sense because at Stowe we have recorded measurable snowfall 16 out of 19 days so far this month... and that is usually how December and January goes in this area. Almost daily light snowfalls thanks to lake moisture, upslope flow, and a prevailing cold, NW flow.

Here are a few ski pics from today at Stowe:

My buddy Dave dropping into Tomba's off the Gondola... this is a fun line with some mandatory air at the exit.

Jumpin' Jimmy ripping some tele-turns on the soft, packed powder natural surface.

Another great day in northern VT

Thanks NECT, fun to see familiar places and faces.

My friends from AK are making skiing their way here for the holidays. Yesterday they were at Alpental in Washington State. A great area with some great boulder features that with 100+" of snow make for some great pillow drops. Washington State has some awesome skiing most peoe don't know about. Mt.Baker, Crystal Mt, Alpental. Here's a pic Pete sent me last night , taken from the chair ride up into the Upper Bowl.

Thanks NECT, fun to see familiar places and faces.

My friends from AK are making skiing their way here for the holidays. Yesterday they were at Alpental in Washington State. A great area with some great boulder features that with 100+" of snow make for some great pillow drops. Washington State has some awesome skiing most peoe don't know about. Mt.Baker, Crystal Mt, Alpental. Here's a pic Pete sent me last night , taken from the chair ride up into the Upper Bowl.

Sigh. I'd love to see conditions like that a little more frequently. Guess I'm living on the wrong coast.

How's this for a forecast...

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV

337 AM PST MON DEC 20 2010

...PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW TO CONTINUE TODAY...

.PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE IN THE SIERRA

INTO THIS AFTERNOON WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR

AT TIMES. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 FEET IN THE SIERRA

ABOVE 7000 FEET WILL SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE AVALANCHE DANGER.

How's this for a forecast...

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV

337 AM PST MON DEC 20 2010

...PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW TO CONTINUE TODAY...

.PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE IN THE SIERRA

INTO THIS AFTERNOON WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR

AT TIMES. STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 FEET IN THE SIERRA

ABOVE 7000 FEET WILL SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE AVALANCHE DANGER.

:mapsnow:

• 2 weeks later...

First time I tried Berkshire East today. Great terrain for a smaller place, no crowds, reasonable drive for a day trip, friendly staff. Will definitely take the family there again.

It's a good place to take kids but still have a little bit of terrain to have fun on. Started my daughter there when she was 3, she's 5 now and loves skiing. Much better when there's a ton of snow and all the trees/steeps are open. In a few weeks there should be much more terrain available. Definitely feel lucky to have it just a few minutes away.

It's a good place to take kids but still have a little bit of terrain to have fun on. Started my daughter there when she was 3, she's 5 now and loves skiing. Much better when there's a ton of snow and all the trees/steeps are open. In a few weeks there should be much more terrain available. Definitely feel lucky to have it just a few minutes away.

Yeah - don't tell anybody, but it's way better than WaWa and not that much longer of a drive for me. And that's my impression when there wasn't a ton of snow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

B E A S T ! ! !

Let's make it midweek some time - empty mountain + cheap

Honestly, it doesn't matter if you choose to do it during the week, or on a weekend. I can get everybody the best possible group rate. All I will need is a list of participants and give it to Customer Service. ...just tell them your name, they'll cross you off the list, and you'll get to ski for $35 or under any day you all decide on...

BUMP!! The skiing is great, there must be a few people that would be intrepid enough to set a date to have a ski GTG, Mike has graciously offered to set us up. Let's get it together!!

I'd be game to dust off the old K2's for a few nostalgic runs down the Beast. If you'd have me, I'm pretty toxic on American......:whistle:

I'd be game to dust off the old K2's for a few nostalgic runs down the Beast. If you'd have me, I'm pretty toxic on American......:whistle:

lol. I've been checking in on some of the OT threads, man you can push some buttons. The most hated man in OT. All are welcome even you. Still psyched for a round of golf in a couple months? The beauty of NE is ski season and golf overlap. Last year I skied and golfed on the same day. Looking forward to doing it again.

Archived