joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Term Disco

IWXwx

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epic storm IMO...anything over 15" I would gladly take a 99 style blizzard again. That was the best system to date. Nothing I have seen so far even comes close.

That was a good storm! My second favorite. Drifting was almost as severe as the GHDB. The major difference with the GHDB was that there was already 8-10" of snow on the ground, before the New Years 99 storm there was about 1-2" on the ground!

NAO looks to got negative next weekend and stay down for awhile.

Wow, each ensemble run keeps on pushing the arctic jet further and further north. If this was December or January, people would be having a fit lol.

Instead, we love it now.

FWIW. The 12z euro showed a continuation of the pacific flow dominance. It looks like Pac Man is eating troughs in Canada.

Yeah I'd take a repeat of that month!

Must have been a -NAO, +AO that month.

-AO. Extremely so. Matter of fact, second lowest December reading since 1950.

Dec 2009: -3.413

Dec 2010: -2.631

Dec 2000: -2.354

Dec 1995: -2.127

Dec 1976: -2.074

Pipeline that month was MSP to the QC to LAF to CVG.

Ok. For some I thought those low heights were signaling positive for the AO. It makes sense that the AO is negative with lower heights spread out like that.

I wonder why I havent seen the latest CFS maps posted in a few days? Oh wait...thats because the latest run has a cold December.

Looks average for us, I'll take it... We can't expect 2000-2011 winters every year, but compared to last winter... normal will be fine by me.

Looks average for us, I'll take it... We can't expect 2000-2011 winters every year, but compared to last winter... normal will be fine by me.

The CFS actually has a run every day...and its as wacky and changeable as the GFS. Todays run has us in -2 to -3F departure for Dec with much colder departures to our west and south. In the last few weeks it has had runs that would produce everything from one of the warmest Dec's on record to one of the coldest lol. I brought it up because everytime it looks very torchy we have those maps posted in this thread...but when it looks cold, nada.

And I agree 100%. As much as Id love anything from 2007-08 thru 2010-11, I am totally fine with normal after 2011-12.

And yet, I would've sacrificed that whole month to be 50-75 miles farther north for GHD.

Well if it's gonna be warmer than normal, might as well make it interesting and get some record temps in here. Kind of reminds me of late '98. I guess that means we can go ahead and pencil in another New Years blizzard. tomato.gif

Yuck to record temps. Torching is horrible, but a little warmer than normal isnt necessarily bad for us in the north, can still get a nice snowstorm (this pertains more to Jan/Feb...but in Dec too somewhat). Id really like lots of winter weather Dec 15-25 as Im on vacation and have a lot of Christmas-related plans, and Christmas always goes better with snow! But I cant say it enough again, NEVER take CFS with more than a grain of salt. This mornings CFS run for December has me at about -2to-3F departure for December and you at -6F or so. i cant post it because its copyrighted access to members of stormvistas model page, but take my word for it. Tomorrow it may torch us or put us in record cold, as said, changes every single day.

And yet, I would've sacrificed that whole month to be 50-75 miles farther north for GHD.

I was looking at pictures I took From Feb 2011, and as much as it KILLED me that once again I couldnt get the epic storm, and it creamed Chicago...I still wouldnt trade what I got for an 18-22" GHD total and a quiet rest of the month. It was a snow-filled month from top to bottom. Now, if you give me the entire 31.8" that month on Feb 1/2, THEN we are talking! Here are my February snowfalls (this coming after 18" in January and starting with a settled 6" base before GHD started.

10.1" - Feb 1/2

4.1" - Feb 5

0.8" - Feb 6/7

0.9" - Feb 11/12

10.2" - Feb 20/21

0.8" - Feb 24

4.3" - Feb 25

0.6" - Feb 26

Next 10-14 days look punt worthy if you want a winter type pattern but most of us shouldn't be expecting it this early anyway. Beyond that who knows. If nothing else maybe we can pick up some trends/model biases that may be applicable down the road.

If we were getting snow right now (as in, blanket of snow) the snow-lover in me would be SO excited to see a friend I havent seen since March, and Id probably stay outside long enough to get myself sick. But the climo-knowlegable Josh would be worried like hell, because snowy mid-November periods have NOT meant good winters in years past.

The blizzard of 99 was so kick butt.

It was...but December was so disappointing for Christmas and lack of snow. I will take back-loaded winter anyday, but it sucked to not have ANY real snow the entire Christmas season.

Dec 6, 1998: DTW sets an all-time Dec temp record with a high of 69F (beat 68F in 1982)

Dec 16, 1998: DTW sets a record for latest first trace of snow (beat Nov 30, 1963)

Dec 29, 1998: DTW gets 0.1", sets record for latest first measurable snow (beat Dec 19, 1948)

Jan 13-15, 1999: DTW records 7am snowdepth of 24", behind only the 26" depth in March 1900.

Next 10-14 days look punt worthy if you want a winter type pattern but most of us shouldn't be expecting it this early anyway. Beyond that who knows. If nothing else maybe we can pick up some trends/model biases that may be applicable down the road.

Yesterday and today's flakes should help since most of us got a brief taste of winter to get us by for awhile.

I was looking at pictures I took From Feb 2011, and as much as it KILLED me that once again I couldnt get the epic storm, and it creamed Chicago...I still wouldnt trade what I got for an 18-22" GHD total and a quiet rest of the month. It was a snow-filled month from top to bottom. Now, if you give me the entire 31.8" that month on Feb 1/2, THEN we are talking! Here are my February snowfalls (this coming after 18" in January and starting with a settled 6" base before GHD started.

10.1" - Feb 1/2

4.1" - Feb 5

0.8" - Feb 6/7

0.9" - Feb 11/12

10.2" - Feb 20/21

0.8" - Feb 24

4.3" - Feb 25

0.6" - Feb 26

Hard for me to complain after such an epic storm like the GHD one, but the lack of snow after that storm definitely sucked. IIRC we only saw a few inches the rest of the season following that storm. However, if given a choice between an 18" storm/quiet last two months or a more active finish to the season following a lesser storm I'd choose the 18" storm every time.

Archived