joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Term Disco

IWXwx

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECMWF ensembles show return of cross polar flow indeed. Though this time it looks more in the Rockies/Northern Plains with a strong southeast ridge.

Maddening model runs. Euro will not let go of the quick torch up followed by big cold shot. GFS more zonal. Maddening. both models show the same end result, a big batch of cold air coming down from the northern plains, it's just that the Euro is ridiculous with the gyre/outbreak/warmup next Monday- Wednesday.

Well, I guess the Quad Cities is buying the Euro solution...

NEXT WEEK...MAJOR TROUGH CARVES OUT IN THE WESTERN UNITED STATES

DUMPING VERY COLD AIR INTO THE ROCKIES AND NORTHERN PLAINS. GULF

MOISTURE RAPIDLY RETURNS WELL AHEAD OF THE STRONG COLD FRONT. THIS

SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING ANOTHER HEAVY RAIN EVENT SIMILAR

TO THIS PAST WEEKEND. BEHIND THE FRONT MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES FOR

A COUPLE OF DAYS.

This one's for you, Tropical. Since you love to post these maps when they look torchy. We've gone from lots of red, to lots of orange, now to blue and puce, or whatever that color is. Wonder what the end of the month updates will bring??? Notice a trend this year? The darn thing is worthless. Torch Torch Torch... oops, maybe not so much... We've got cold air in Canada this year. The maps looks completely different than last year when everywhere to the arctic circle was a torch.

post-1834-0-90285600-1350390778_thumb.gi

post-1834-0-82380900-1350390815_thumb.gi

I hope it's just a blip, but the 6z GFS looks awful. I hope we see a first freeze before we experience any Indian Summer or another torch, but looks like that's not possible.

Chances are that it is just a blip. The GFS may be not handling the typhoons in the Pacific very well which is what is leading to the discrepencies in the models.

12z looks mild next week. It the typhoons recurve then the mild look will begin to cool off. With every warm up this month, they've been cut short and I suspect that with the next mild spell.

I hope you're right. It doesn't just look mild... we'll have to see if the Euro holds serve or trends warmer...

Edit: On second glance, yeah, it's a few days torch, but it's not too bad and looks like classic dry Indian summer for the midwest. Get past hour 180 and things start looking better. Not jumping off a cliff like I was planning a few minutes ago...

Archived