joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Term Disco

IWXwx

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't. 12z GFS caved to Euro in the longer ranges. Big boob pattern.

FWIW - the early October torch never materialized. ...Well maybe for one day, but cold is definitely winning out over the warmth this month and did most of last month.

The GFS didn't change at all pre-truncation. Created a truncated timeframe block which was the only thing keeping down a torch. The ECMWF most likely failed. Ridge pattern depends on how the allignment comes. Timeframe makes these maps garbage can worthy however. Ensembles have been showing a -EPO/-PNA pattern(which the ECMWF is also tardy on).

English please for us idiots.

Euro definnitely caved to the GFS as far as the strength of the low/midwest/eastern trough next week. Through 240 it's really not a warm pattern for anyone around here in the least. Def warm up early next week but no biggie. What happens after that is anyone's guess. My guess is we can't avoid some of that -pna it has swinging thru in the long range. Torch? Who knows.

I will add that the euro has a bias for forecasting too much of a -PNA

There is going to be a -pna and a south/east ridge. Sorry, it seems inevitable. How strong either feature is is up for debate.

For once the frickin CFS agrees with this.

http://origin.cpc.nc...1010.NAsfcT.gif

http://origin.cpc.nc...1010.NAsfcT.gif

Euro and GFS now on the same page out to 240, it's just a question of how strong the -nao is, how strong the -pna is. I'd take those last two cfs maps in a heartbeat. Someone nearby would get snow... The nicest thing about all the longer range maps is there is a TON more cold air in Canada than there was this time last year.

The cold cross polar flow is gone. This "cold" reminds me of last October's pacific junk from the 2nd half of that month..........

If you're wrong, we are going to have some bulletin board material for you this winter. You already said with the cold snap a couple weeks ago that the models couldn't handle the -PNA well, and that the cold would stay up near the Canadian border. Oops, two highs in the 40s in early October tell me otherwise.

If you're wrong, we are going to have some bulletin board material for you this winter. You already said with the cold snap a couple weeks ago that the models couldn't handle the -PNA well, and that the cold would stay up near the Canadian border. Oops, two highs in the 40s in early October tell me otherwise.

+1

Reference the conveyor belts and you will see exactly what he's talking about. He's correct.

If I am wrong? The cross polar flow is leaving right now. It is already gone. The trough for next weak is of pacific origin which teleconnects to the NAO. What happens after that ends is up in the air. The current run was predicted by me in late September as the -EPO signaled cross polar flow, the key was when it would get here, would we wait or not(we didn't have to wait). Now it is of pacific flow.

Models do indeed struggle with PNA by overamping the PNA in the longer ranges.

I'm not saying I think you're wrong here, but I am saying that you were blasting the models for being overzealous with the trough and cold in early October, when they really weren't. There was a small NW trend with the early season snow system in the Northern Plains, but the trough came similarly as advertised. It seems all your posts are doomsday about how the pattern this fall is similar to last fall. I'm sorry, some of the features may be similar, but the results can't be more different, and it's unlikely it will continue to be similar to last fall/winter.

That wasn't my point, my point was the pattern coming for the week is very similiar to the pattern after a typical la nina Octotorch we had last year in many respects. Alot of cloudy days and warm nights.

I guess you forgot about the big bomb already, it was before the freak east coast snowstorm they wished they never had lol.

Who knows what happens after that as we head in the last 3rd of the month. Way to early.

I don't see it being that warm... Especially after Thursday, not sure what models you are looking at but the ones I am looking at don't show it being terribly warm after Thursday.

It is October, not January...

Agreed. The question I have yet to resolve (I haven't had the time to do the analogs), is what did the past winter's look like with a +AMO and -PDO with a neutral ENSO? My guess is that we are starting to see the early winter pattern setting in as we speak. If true, I think the storm track will set up between the Appalachians and the western Great Lakes area. Transient cold shots would not be a bad thing as long as few storms could feed into that colder air. Up here our biggest snowfalls tend to happen when the air temp is between 24-29°. I hope I get the time to do the analogs this week.

Archived