• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Long Term Disco

IWXwx

The weather has been boring in our subforum lately. When it gets this benign, talk invariably turns to what's down the road. Some people really like to follow these long range models, while others feel that it's just clogging up the monthly discussion threads. Why not have a thread dedicated to discussing the long term forecast, say, more than 7 days out?

I feel this would be a good compromise. It would clear up the other disco threads for observations, short-term discussions, general banter, etc. Also, this thread would allow a compilation of posts of the long range Euro, GFS, CFS, etc. all in an easy-to-find place. Although I'm not a fan of long range forecasts for anything other than determining trends, It would be easy to come here, check out the previously posted maps, and do an cursory evaluation on verification.

If this is acceptable, post away. If not, Hoosier should feel free to delete this thread.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd put some serious money on the pattern relaxing after the 15th. Ensembles all show it, Euro and GFS are again in great agreement out to 240, they both have the big old closed low moving in from the west coast which would force the northern stream into a more zonal pattern. 12z GFS in extreme la-la land has the pattern going completely and utterly massive neg PNA with a +NAO. of course we all know how well 300 plus hour fprogs work out, but the signs are all there. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen our last 70s up here, and i'd bet the farm we get a couple day "torch" the last week or so of October. You can see it coming on the ensembles, you can see it coming on the CPC 8-14. You coulod even see it coming on the week 4 CFS if you trust that worthless model...

post-1834-0-92621300-1349127484_thumb.gi

I'd put some serious money on the pattern relaxing after the 15th. Ensembles all show it, Euro and GFS are again in great agreement out to 240, they both have the big old closed low moving in from the west coast which would force the northern stream into a more zonal pattern. 12z GFS in extreme la-la land has the pattern going completely and utterly massive neg PNA with a +NAO. of course we all know how well 300 plus hour fprogs work out, but the signs are all there. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen our last 70s up here, and i'd bet the farm we get a couple day "torch" the last week or so of October. You can see it coming on the ensembles, you can see it coming on the CPC 8-14. You coulod even see it coming on the week 4 CFS if you trust that worthless model...

The State Climate Office at Purdue agrees with this assessment according to a press release, at least for Indiana.

"Temperatures could remain cool through early October but may turn warm later in the month. The warm weather pattern could continue through November."

Again, GFS and Euro in scary agreement out to 240. There have been times this year when they both do pretty well but to look almost the same all the way to 240 is pretty cool. If they're right could have a couple day "torch" in the plains/midwest with some thunderstorms around the 12- 16th. La la land, yes, but again, scary agreement.

I think for this month, the negative departures will relax mid-month and by the time we get to the last week of the month, most of us will have a bit of Indian Summer with some 70s. I don't think will have sustained warmth very far into November though.

Brett Anderson on analogs:

"BTW, I am personally not a fan of using analog years before 1990 as the overall climate pattern has changed (warmed) significantly in the northern hemisphere, especially above 50 degrees north since then."

"BTW, I am personally not a fan of using analog years before 1990 as the overall climate pattern has changed (warmed) significantly in the northern hemisphere, especially above 50 degrees north since then."

That is an inspirational quote. I shall remember it forever and use it always.

One problem with that - you will hardly have any analog years to work with.

you forgot to post his interpretation of the new ECMWX weeklies.

I am sorry but if he did actually say this, that is completely foolish of him, to take only the last 22 years of data and toss everything else out.

I am sorry but if he did actually say this, that is completely foolish of him, to take only the last 22 years of data and toss everything else out.

Ridiculous.

Holy tamales. Look at the pattern the 12z GFS brings back to the midwest after next weekend's warm up/storm. It's not going to happen, obviously. It couldn't...

Ridiculous.

Holy tamales. Look at the pattern the 12z GFS brings back to the midwest after next weekend's warm up/storm. It's not going to happen, obviously. It couldn't...

That would be a wet weekend region-wide! Quite a storm track setting up!

That would be a wet weekend region-wide! Quite a storm track setting up!

Looks like our stereotypical fall wind/rain storm. Probably too difficult for it to reach Octobomb levels, but you never know. I hope it goes north of the area if anything because most of the rain has been south recently, and I want some hope for storm systems this winter.

Looks like our stereotypical fall wind/rain storm. Probably too difficult for it to reach Octobomb levels, but you never know. I hope it goes north of the area if anything because most of the rain has been south recently, and I want some hope for storm systems this winter.

Euro takes it south. Imagine that.

Archived