• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

There was 0.23” of liquid in the gauge as of this morning’s observations, thus a total of 0.39” for this stretch over the past couple of days. From Mt. Mansfield, 0.87” was reported through yesterday afternoon, so it certainly doesn’t look like those QPF estimates in the 1” range were too unrealistic. It’s definitely started to dry out here this morning, so it feels like the precipitation might be over, but I do see more echoes upstream on the radar, so we’ll have to see if those eventually come through the area later today.

Yeah we definitely didn't get that much rain in the village... it was like a steady mist but with only occasional actual rain drops. Up near Topnotch and above on the Mountain Road though they might have seen near a 1/4" because it was just steady light rain all evening last night. I think its all tied to how far from the Spine one is.

Obviously, J.Spin, again your location on the Spine there gets the best of both westerly flow and easterly flow events.

QPF tapered quickly as you drove towards the RT 100 corridor from the Spine.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

touch of snow early at the house. funny how .1 down the hill was just cold and wet. Went to see how things were shaping up in the higher ground. went from loud walking with all the downed leaves to dead quiet. nice to see the snow. misting, spittin snow, snowing, raining all within 2 minutes.

woods at 2K

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

steady light precip. some crust in the snow on the east side of the mountain.

IMG_3145.jpg

west side with better snow quality. 4-8". nice dense mixture.

IMG_3144.jpg

Nice pics by the VT peeps! I had high hopes for seeing some snow fall and walking around in some during my hike of Wildcat Ridge, but the Greens stole the show on this one. I had some very light snow fall over 4000' for a bit which was nice but it barely provided a dusting. Across the road, the Presidentials were in the clouds throughout the day, hiding their white caps. A nice day in the Whites regardless.

post-254-0-33737400-1352061174_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-05728400-1352061192_thumb.jpg

Beautiful pics, Jayhawk! What side of the range were you on? I gotta imagine the north slope of the Presis got some snow...doesn't Bretton Woods area get upslope?

Well, I was on the ridgeline so I guess I was on all sides. lol. The pic of the trail was from the north end, near Carter Notch. That was where the most substantial accumulation was.

The northern Presis had their summits in the clouds all day, but I do know that MWN has had snow in their obs for most of the past couple days. I haven't checked any totals but as that view of the Gulf of Slides shows they are white on top.

I'm sure they and Bretton Woods do well in upslope. I'm still learning about the various mountain microclimates now that I have a vested interest.

Pretty steady light snow flurries over the past hour...flakes are so small though it's almost like a snow mist. But they are definitely small flakes...like poor snow growth needles that are half evaporated.

Still nice to see it swirling in the lights at night.

I have to..............hotdog.gif

I have to..............hotdog.gif

LOL...lotta weenies in here now. Driving around local towns and heading to higher elevations to find accumulating snow; all traits of a snow weenie.

I love how excited we all get at these first few episodes of flakes. The flurries now wouldn't even be worth a post in another month. I also wish a few more folks got in on the snow shower action to share the good mood...if we had 7sm light snow showers moving through SNE right now this place would light up.

LOL...lotta weenies in here now. Driving around local towns and heading to higher elevations to find accumulating snow; all traits of a snow weenie.

I love how excited we all get at these first few episodes of flakes. The flurries now wouldn't even be worth a post in another month. I also wish a few more folks got in on the snow shower action to share the good mood...if we had 7sm light snow showers moving through SNE right now this place would light up.

Those pics of the top of the mountain were some great shots of the 1st accum snow

True statement. Drove about 50miles this weekend to see a whopping 1" and steady SN. LOL

You might have been right Nitteny...

Mansfield Stake came in with 3.0" depth and 2.0" of new snow out of 0.51" melted.

I always trust the stake measurement for depth, but I'm skeptical about only 2.0" new with 0.51" liquid. I really felt good about 4" up at the top of the lifts...and I don't think ratios were *that* bad (5:1). It was dense snow but not soaking wet...high temp up there was 28F and the dense snow seemed to be tied more to poor snow growth instead of sfc temps.

I would've bet 8:1 ratios, with 4" of new snow out of 0.51" melted.

After musing about snowfall yesterday, we have another head scratcher today from the Mansfield Co-Op...

Yesterday had 3.0" depth.

Today has a 7.0" depth.

Today shows 2.0" new snow.

Today saw 0.51" of melted precip.

Yet somehow, although a 1/2" QPF fell with temps in low 20s, and snow depth increased 4"...they are only reporting 2.0" of new snow.

This is why the Co-Op snowfall total is a joke. Just reporting the change in snow depth may be more accurate.

Actually what is more laughable about the Mansfield summit Co-Op is this:

Over the past 3 days, the snow depth has gone from 0" to 7".

Melted precip has totaled 1.37".

Yet their "new snow" tally is only 5.5" (1.5", 2", 2").

Snow ratios are apparently less than 5:1, and somehow there is more snow depth than inches that fell. Instead of the usual where snow depth is lower than snowfall due to settling and compaction.

After musing about snowfall yesterday, we have another head scratcher today from the Mansfield Co-Op...

Yesterday had 3.0" depth.

Today has a 7.0" depth.

Today shows 2.0" new snow.

Today saw 0.51" of melted precip.

Yet somehow, although a 1/2" QPF fell with temps in low 20s, and snow depth increased 4"...they are only reporting 2.0" of new snow.

This is why the Co-Op snowfall total is a joke. Just reporting the change in snow depth may be more accurate.

Yeah I had a friend up there today who said they had about 3-5" at about 3000' which would fit more in line with the 4" change in snow depth. What a joke lol.

Yeah I had a friend up there today who said they had about 3-5" at about 3000' which would fit more in line with the 4" change in snow depth. What a joke lol.

I know they only measure what falls in the can, but how are they collecting so much QPF with so little snow? I've met the WCAX employee in charge of the techs up there (Fred L) and talked to him about it, and he just says they measure whats in the rain can...doesn't matter if they snowmobile up the Toll Road in 18" of snow, if they find 6" in the can, that's what they report. The Valentines Day storm in 2007, he said he knew that one was quite low, because the entire can filled up and drifted over with snow, so they just reported 24" of snow which is the height of the can I guess.

I guess it leads to some consistency, but its like consistently inaccurate for what actually falls on that mountain. I just don't get how they get what seems to be a correct amount of QPF out of an incorrect amount of snow. There's no way the last three days averaged under 5:1 ratios even with settling or compaction. 3-5:1 ratios is like a sleet ratio.

With a 7" increase in depth over the past 72 hours and 1.3" liquid, I'd bet the real number is more like 9" for a 3 day total. Ratios were under 10:1 due to poor snow growth, but they weren't down under 5:1. 9" would make sense with a roughly 8:1 ratio.

Archived