joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall 2012

ctsnowstorm628

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayup, snow still on the ground here in Barre. I'm with PF, this was a nice unexpected bonus.

You know its funny... after 3 days of upslope snow on the mountain, the most exciting day of the week turned out to be the day that was forecast to be partly sunny.

I mean it was coming down this morning! All of the snow below like 1,000ft had melted off this afternoon except a few shady spots and elevated surfaces like logs and tree stumps in the woods. But the mountain was glowing like mid-Winter.

RT 108 between Stowe and Jeffersonville is now closed due to snow...ergo you'll have to find some other way to get around the mountain now. Warm season is done. Time for winter.

10-inch snow depth now above 3,000ft on Mansfield...likely a 12-inch storm total over the past 3-4 days. Always boggles my mind how much snow falls on that mountain. If you were watching the GFS last week, you'd have no idea a foot of snow would fall in the mountains over the weekend.

After musing about snowfall yesterday, we have another head scratcher today from the Mansfield Co-Op...

Yesterday had 3.0" depth.

Today has a 7.0" depth.

Today shows 2.0" new snow.

Today saw 0.51" of melted precip.

Yet somehow, although a 1/2" QPF fell with temps in low 20s, and snow depth increased 4"...they are only reporting 2.0" of new snow.

This is why the Co-Op snowfall total is a joke. Just reporting the change in snow depth may be more accurate.

Another head scratcher... snow depth goes from 7" to 10", yet only 2" of new snow was recorded. So somehow the total snow depth after the weekend event is 10", yet the Co-Op recorded only 7.5" of snowfall. Not sure how you get more snow depth than snowfall, but the Co-Op manages to do it quite often.

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

542 PM EST MON NOV 5 2012

STATION PRECIP TEMPERATURE PRESENT SNOW

24 HRS MAX MIN CUR WEATHER NEW TOTAL SWE

...VERMONT...

MOUNT MANSFIELD 0.11 21 15 15 CLOUDY 2.0 10

Dismissing their "NEW" column... storm total from Friday-Monday is at least 10" (snow depth), on 1.48" of QPF.

When I took an initial look outside this morning I didn’t note much of interest, but when I finally went out to check the rain gauge I saw that there was a scattering of white on the ground. That prompted me to check my snowboard, and sure enough there were a couple of tenths of an inch of snow and graupel on there. There hadn’t been much precipitation falling at the point, but it really kicked into gear soon after that, and jumped to a steady fall of light graupel and snow from that point on. By the time I left about an hour later, another couple of tenths of an inch had accumulated, and I suspect there may have even been a bit more before it got too warm to accumulate. It was snowing quite vigorously at times as I headed toward Burlington, and actually snowed all the way to the Burlington area. We had on and off snow showers at UVM today, and the mountains were mostly been hidden, but I did catch a shot of Mt. Mansfield when it temporarily emerged from the clouds:

05NOV12A.jpg

A radar grab from this morning showing the moisture flow into the area:

05NOV12A.gif

Any additional accumulation that we got today had all melted back down to liquid by the time I got home, so for the books I’ll have to go with 0.4” of total snow accumulation. I did run a liquid analysis on the snow (for the 6:00 A.M. snow I took a core, and for the later snow I measured the liquid in my rain gauge), and each 0.2” was comprised of 0.01” of liquid. We’ve had snow at the house here this evening, but nothing as intense as this morning and just a dusting of additional accumulation.

When I took an initial look outside this morning I didn’t note much of interest, but when I finally went out to check the rain gauge I saw that there was a scattering of white on the ground. That prompted me to check my snowboard, and sure enough there were a couple of tenths of an inch of snow and graupel on there. There hadn’t been much precipitation falling at the point, but it really kicked into gear soon after that, and jumped to a steady fall of light graupel and snow from that point on. By the time I left about an hour later, another couple of tenths of an inch had accumulated, and I suspect there may have even been a bit more before it got too warm to accumulate. It was snowing quite vigorously at times as I headed toward Burlington, and actually snowed all the way to the Burlington area. We had on and off snow showers at UVM today, and the mountains were mostly been hidden, but I did catch a shot of Mt. Mansfield when it temporarily emerged from the clouds:

A radar grab from this morning showing the moisture flow into the area:

Any additional accumulation that we got today had all melted back down to liquid by the time I got home, so for the books I’ll have to go with 0.4” of total snow accumulation. I did run a liquid analysis on the snow (for the 6:00 A.M. snow I took a core, and for the later snow I measured the liquid in my rain gauge), and each 0.2” was comprised of 0.01” of liquid. We’ve had snow at the house here this evening, but nothing as intense as this morning and just a dusting of additional accumulation.

Nice shot, J.Spin! I'm putting in 0.4" in the books for today, too. Had a pretty solid coating on all surfaces except pavement and may have been as high as 0.5-0.6" if I had cleared between the two real bursts we had. But 0.4" was as much as we had on my board at any one time (I'm excited because my home location now has a big yard and ample opportunity for more exact measurements). It was 0.3" when I first measured, then it melted back slightly, and then we got another moderate burst that brought it up to 0.4". I should've cleared it to try and capture that extra 0.1-0.2" ;)

How do you take a core of 0.2" of snow? lol.

27F with SN at the moment. Nice coating on cars and grass. Very close to first 0.1" of the year

I'm down in Albany, NY for the next 36 hours, but a buddy just sent a text that its snowing pretty decently back home in Stowe right now.

Looking at the radar, seems as though Mansfield is still igniting snow showers and rolling them down RT 108 into the center of the village (one just dissipated as it passed the center of the village, and another is just starting down the road). By the sounds of it there might be enough to measure a couple tenths again tomorrow morning, but I won't be around to catch it unfortunately.

J.Spin's area looks to also be in an enhanced echo region, near where I-89 crosses the Washington/Chittenden County border along the Spine.

Good to see the upslope fizzard machine getting an early start to the season, lol.

Scott, I'm coming up to Stowe for a couple of days over break (Tday). Also, I think I might grab a $300 stowe college pass.

Sweet! Let me know when it gets closer...maybe we can grab a beer or something. Or if you get the pass, go skiing. I never really thought about it but that's not a bad idea to pick up the college pass and then pick and choose a few good upslope champagne pow days to come up. If you were to come up for like a week vacation, its cheaper to just buy a seasons pass if you are a college student, lol.

Sweet! Let me know when it gets closer...maybe we can grab a beer or something. Or if you get the pass, go skiing. I never really thought about it but that's not a bad idea to pick up the college pass and then pick and choose a few good upslope champagne pow days to come up. If you were to come up for like a week vacation, its cheaper to just buy a seasons pass if you are a college student, lol.

Yeah I just got my Burke jay merger pass today. $199 for unlimited at both resorts. That's an unheard of price.

Good morning from the Lyndon State College Weather Center. Another gorgeous start to the day up here. Sunshine on the snow covered mountains is so pretty. We had off and on -SN last night which was nice. Currently 27.5F at 9:14AM. I am working in here this morning forecasting for the Vermont Agency of Transportation. My districts are the Northeast Kingdom and the Montpelier District. Hope you all are having a great day!

Archived