amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September 2012 General Discussion

Brewers

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to upper 60s this weekend. I for one am sick of having the AC on with high temps in the upper 80s. It's September for petes sake

Yeah I hear you there! I don't think I've ran the AC as much as this year. Thinking the 90s are done finally.

High today 86° - 48th day at or above 80°.

Doing good with rainfall this month so far. 1.80° so far. Ground is soft and plants are lush.

Yeah I hear you there! I don't think I've ran the AC as much as this year. Thinking the 90s are done finally.

High today 86° - 48th day at or above 80°.

Doing good with rainfall this month so far. 1.80° so far. Ground is soft and plants are lush.

Truly, I am not criticizing your data or observations...but your location must be in an extremely unusual microclimate...like an "arctic bubble" in a sea of warmth. :)

Chicago (ORD) has had 97 days of 80+ degrees this year and you've only had 48 days, even though the two locations are only 30-40 miles apart. Does the lake influence really make that much of a difference?

Truly, I am not criticizing your data or observations...but your location must be in an extremely unusual microclimate...like an "arctic bubble" in a sea of warmth. :)

Chicago (ORD) has had 97 days of 80+ degrees this year and you've only had 48 days, even though the two locations are only 30-40 miles apart. Does the lake influence really make that much of a difference?

Actually if you include the 90s and 100s, then I am at 72 days AOA 80° for the year. The lake has a much bigger influence here then at ORD. 4 miles from the lake vs. about 11 miles. SE winds cool it off here, but not at ORD. A 10° difference between here and there is quite common during the summer. Lake breezes in general have more punch as you go up the western shore of Lake Michigan. It's nice having the free air conditioning!

You'll probably find Racine and Milwaukee have similar tallies of warm temperatures this year.

Edit: My OP was goofy sounding wasn't it! Lol

Actually if you include the 90s and 100s, then I am at 72 days AOA 80° for the year. The lake has a much bigger influence here then at ORD. 4 miles from the lake vs. about 11 miles. SE winds cool it off here, but not at ORD. A 10° difference between here and there is quite common during the summer. Lake breezes in general have more punch as you go up the western shore of Lake Michigan. It's nice having the free air conditioning!

You'll probably find Racine and Milwaukee have similar tallies of warm temperatures this year.

Yeah, that makes more sense...and I agree MKE and Racine are similar. :)

I thought you were saying you only had 48 days AOA 80 degrees.

Pretty big discrepancy between the GFS and the EURO with regards to the large scale pattern over the Lakes next weekend. EURO has a trough cutting off over the Lakes with potential for a big rain event. GFS way more progressive with that trough, with little fanfare along the FROPA and cooler, drier air in its wake. Looking back to the ~August 10th cutoff that formed, EURO schooled the GFS hard. For the sake of interesting weather, I hope the EURO is right again.

I'd definitely go with the Euro's depiction. Not only has it been more accurate than the GFS at this timeframe most of the summer, climo says it's time for a big ol' cutoff and the first taste of fall.

Well, I was wrong about the Euro. Looks like the GFS was right about a progressive trough. At least there is a slight risk that someone could see some severe weather out of this and more importantly, some heavy rainfall to continue knocking back the drought.

Yeah, that makes more sense...and I agree MKE and Racine are similar. :)

I thought you were saying you only had 48 days AOA 80 degrees.

Haha, I wish it was that cool this year! With more 80s coming I'm sure - I'll probably get above the 80 day count somewhere. :)

Now Kenosha airport I'm sure is closer to ORD because it is about 7-8 miles inland. But it is not a good depiction on the rest of the city because most of it lies within 5 miles of the lake.

Anyway, today looks like upper 70s. Clear and blue outside right now!

Well, I was wrong about the Euro. Looks like the GFS was right about a progressive trough. At least there is a slight risk that someone could see some severe weather out of this and more importantly, some heavy rainfall to continue knocking back the drought.

Tough to bet against the EURO, especially when it's so consistent (I think it was a solid 5-6 runs showing a cut off). I think the red flag was the UKIE not on board. Seems that model goes out of its way to bomb out storms in the med. range.

Looks like a protracted dry period on both the EURO and the GFS after the Friday/Saturday rain. Good I say. Two weak-moderate Nino falls that were dry:

2002-03

2004-05

Subsequent winters were awesome.

In contrast, Nino in 06-07 featured a wet falls. Following winter sucked the big one.

Until February 2007, for some of us. :D

On the flip side, 2004-05 sucked for LAF. Moral of the story, sometimes hard to get region wide "awesome" winters.

Until February 2007, for some of us. :D

On the flip side, 2004-05 sucked for LAF. Moral of the story, sometimes hard to get region wide "awesome" winters.

VD 2007 was quite mediocre here. :( Fooking NAM clown maps notwithstanding.

To your second point...yup. 2007-08s are definitely the exception. Although, IIRC, even that year was pretty crappy as you got closer to the Ohio River.

To your second point...yup. 2007-08s are definitely the exception. Although, IIRC, even that year was pretty crappy as you got closer to the Ohio River.

Indianapolis (23.3") down to Evansville (10.5") were in sort of a screw zone that winter. Further east, central/southern Ohio struggled until March 2008 put them over the top. But yeah overall, a pretty good winter for many in terms of snowfall.

Oh, and I'm working on a project trying to figure out the best winters for the region overall (based on snowfall totals). My preliminary findings of the top 5, since 1949-50.

1) 1977-78

2) 1981-82

3) 2007-08

4) 2010-11

5) 1978-79

I'm refining the list as I go, adding more sites and going back further back in time as well. Hopefully I'll have the results posted sometime before this winter starts.

Edit: My OP was goofy sounding wasn't it! Lol

Isn't it true that when you state your departures from average, you're taking your average temps for the month and comparing them to ORD's average? Does Waukegan even have its own average temps on record? I'm just asking, because your departures usually seem lower than most areas, for instance April being below normal.

Isn't it true that when you state your departures from average, you're taking your average temps for the month and comparing them to ORD's average? Does Waukegan even have its own average temps on record? I'm just asking, because your departures usually seem lower than most areas, for instance April being below normal.

Yes, UGN had its own averages going back at least 30 years. If I was running with ORD's averages I would have more months close to normal and even below average. Kenosha and Racine have there own averages too.

Yes, UGN had its own averages going back at least 30 years. If I was running with ORD's averages I would have more months close to normal and even below average. Kenosha and Racine have there own averages too.

Thanks for the clarification. It just seems weird that frequently Waukegan is cooler than many lakeshore communities in S Wisconsin just to the north, although in the case of the Milwaukee area the UHI comes into effect, and Waukegan is so far from the city of Chicago that the UHI effect is minimal.

Indianapolis (23.3") down to Evansville (10.5") were in sort of a screw zone that winter. Further east, central/southern Ohio struggled until March 2008 put them over the top. But yeah overall, a pretty good winter for many in terms of snowfall.

Oh, and I'm working on a project trying to figure out the best winters for the region overall (based on snowfall totals). My preliminary findings of the top 5, since 1949-50.

1) 1977-78

2) 1981-82

3) 2007-08

4) 2010-11

5) 1978-79

I'm refining the list as I go, adding more sites and going back further back in time as well. Hopefully I'll have the results posted sometime before this winter starts.

Very cool! The more I read about 1981-82, the more impressed I am by its combination of snow and cold. I believe it was much more wintry (relative to normal) in the Upper Midwest compared to us southerners in IL/IN/OH...but a good old-fashioned winter all around. :)

Thanks for the clarification. It just seems weird that frequently Waukegan is cooler than many lakeshore communities in S Wisconsin just to the north, although in the case of the Milwaukee area the UHI comes into effect, and Waukegan is so far from the city of Chicago that the UHI effect is minimal.

I have to say Waukegan has the coolest lows between MKE & CHI near the lake. It's a great radiational cooling location!

Archived