Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
September 2012 General Discussion

Brewers

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Late September has got to be the most useless time of the year for a negative temp departure! I was hoping we could ride the positive lake anomalies into the start of LES season, a cool fall could bring lake temps to normal levels. What a waste of cold air!

According to a APX study, there is no correlation between fall lake temps and seasonal snowfall.... Most positive lake temps get wiped out in hours.

So they are predicting that the entire Atlantic will be above normal with surface air temps?

I guess that's what it's suggesting... or the chance is good that it will be above normal! lol

Wonder how above normal the air above the water can really be. Probably nothing too crazy for departures.

Edit: Anyway - Skilling going with below normal temperatures in each of the 3 time periods; 1-5, 6-10, & 11-15 day. Getting progressively more negative as the month wears on.

ARB's little bowl got down to 40 this morning and 38 yesterday morning. Gotta love microclimates.

Also, it's been a very, very long time since I've seen CPC's historical analogs to the current 8-14 day forecast show this kind of negative temperature departure. (ETA: Summer of 2009 was the last time that I can recall, to be specific, outside of winter).

LOL to the 38F. That microclimate is very interesting....meanwhile DTWs UHI is very aggravating (because DTW is THE climate station, ARB is jusy one of the local asos's).

El Nino MO, unfortunately.

Yes...but we have just been in a predominately warm pattern for 16 months.....its about time a trough dominates. We are due for months of troughiness, and Im thinking this is right around the time the pattern started to get troughy in the brutally cold weak Nino winter of 1976-77. Doesnt mean that will happen of course, but this long warm pattern has made people forget that cold patterns DO settle in. Its not as if this is our only chance for a trough then we go back into warmer than normal weather.

It was also nice how after a hot summer in 2010 we turned onto cold JUST in time for a long, cold winter. So while I certainly wouldnt want a September trough to come at the expense of one in winter, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for this to be the start of a months-long pattern!

It is also a 300hr map which shouldn't be posted...

It is September, the most boring month in the Midwest. There's nothing happening concerning sensible weather. It doesn't hurt to look ahead. In fact, after seeing the GFS dmc posted, that just solidifies the idea that the trough east/ridge west pattern will hold on for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy the cool weather trapperman. It will be gone soon and the predominate warmth will return. Euro weeklies.

Trollpical, I guess you should try real hard not to look at the extended 06z, and 12z GFS runs, because that high is parked over the pac nw and is not going anywhere by the end of September... better get your palms indoors real soon.

Trollpical, I guess you should try real hard not to look at the extended 06z, and 12z GFS runs, because that high is parked over the pac nw and is not going anywhere by the end of September... better get your palms indoors real soon.

Yup cause 300 hour model runs are that accurate. Worked great for that "cutoff" we were supposed to have last weekend, eh?

Archived