12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 18-20 Talking Points - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, unfortunately I'd have to head back before that one arrives.  Using history as a guide, that means that now I've guaranteed that TTN will somehow get screwed on Sunday but the second one will be the biggy there...

If this thing tracks far enough west maybe TTN will get shut down with freezing rain and you wont be able to leave and will get hit with the second one ;)

how far west do we usually want this to be before we say "Stop"...?? i wasn't still here during the millenium storm but i've read people say Islip being the limit??

Its unlikely any sort of major mixing or changeover occurs with this event given its likely to be a much more mature/bombing low at the point it reaches near the latitude of NYC/LI than the December 2000 storm was when it was there....as a result the thermal gradient would likely be pulled well into the center of the low and you'd need the low to either track on top or west of you for there to be any changeover threat and perhaps the same even to get mixing with sleet.....the 1996 blizzard tracked very close to the coast but due to the storm's intensity even the southern NJ coast with a NE wind off a good Atlantic fetch only saw sleet mix in....a dry slot would be a greater threat.

we've had much worse than this. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we dont get model consensus until tomorrow night or saturday morning. At least we could see the issues the Euro was having yesterday so it makes sense that it had such a huge shift in its last 2 runs.

LOL...in 12 hours we went from people in SNE being depressed over the storm escaping east to now possibly worrying about mixing issues. One of the worst model inconsistencies I've ever witnessed.

What exactly do the colors mean on the SREF SLP maps?

Standard deviation of SLP

And what it means to those viewing the map is the direction the SREF is leaning with whatever feature, this one being the SLP.

So yeah, the contour is the mean of all the components, but it is weighted toward the left in this case.

If the spread overlays the contours, then you shouldn't expect much change either way. If the spread is significantly different from the mean contours, then you can potentially expect the mean to move in that direction.

And what it means to those viewing the map is the direction the SREF is leaning with whatever feature, this one being the SLP.

So yeah, the contour is the mean of all the components, but it is weighted toward the left in this case.

If the spread overlays the contours, then you shouldn't expect much change either way. If the spread is significantly different from the mean contours, then you can potentially expect the mean to move in that direction.

And so the higher up the scale it goes (In this case that red well to the west of the SLP mean) the more where the members are leaning, right?

Not really, in this case. Without looking at the individual members, with coastals it usually means the DEEPER lows are to the left, not that there are more of them.

Archived