Newest Member
    joxey
Friday (Aug 10) Severe Disc/Obs

Ellinwood

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woo rain.

radar doesn't look too amazing for svr today.. not much spacing between rounds. but it's early i suppose.

Haven't looked at too much this morning, but hi-res models have that back line dying off, letting a new one form this afternoon with more spacing. RAP and HRRR suggest a narrow corridor of 1500-2000+ J/kg CAPE up through north-central MD into far south-central PA.

Haven't looked at too much this morning, but hi-res models have that back line dying off, letting a new one form this afternoon with more spacing. RAP and HRRR suggest a narrow corridor of 1500-2000+ J/kg CAPE up through north-central MD into far south-central PA.

SREF still looks OK if not magical. I'd still be sleeping if I didn't have to tweet about rain. :(

Tornado warning at work. Sirens are going off. Looks like it must be from the cell down near La Plata.

Are you sure its not a fire drill?

Planning on it, yes.

Oh... hope where ever you are going has better chances than around here

Are you sure its not a fire drill?

At work we get weather warnings that pop up on our computers - things like STWs, lightning within X miles, etc. Plus, building management made the announcement about the warning. I checked the radar, but didn't see anything of interest (took a shot in the dark on the La Plata cell), though I still went downstairs just in case.

I'm guessing (just guessing) one of the mets in my organization made a call for the warning that then got shot down a few minutes later.

Oh... hope where ever you are going has better chances than around here

My primary target if Frederick to Gettysburg, but if stuff can get strong early enough it might be worth heading west to the I-81 corridor between Hagerstown and Chambersburg. I don't like the west option much because that means going through the mountains to follow the storms east, but we'll see.

Really worried about the cloud cover today. There looks to be possible clearing later but that is still uncertain and if there is, how much??

Keeping the fingers crossed for the sun! The old saying is " If we get sun then were under the gun" lol!! " if we get no sun then there will be no fun"! Just trying to have a little fun and hope the good stuff holds off until I finish work today.

I've noticed some of the stronger northeast severe days likes to coincide with heavy rain early morning. I'm not really sure why.

It actually happens in a number of bigger events... April 27 in Alabama!

I see some sun already.

Already some clearing here in Suitland. Looks like we have at least partly sunny conditions back to west central WV.

Vis sat has some clearing in WVa and SW Va so if that rotates through in a couple hours we can still get some limited sun.

edit: kenny ninja'd me

It actually happens in a number of bigger events... April 27 in Alabama!

I see some sun already.

I seem to recall somebody a few years back saying that morning rainfall served to increase low level moisture. Obviously you'd need sun after the morning rain but am I recalling correctly?

I have no idea why the SPC doesn't have the 2% tornado risk down into northern MD (or even further to the southeast?). I guess they don't anticipate any significant rotation in both the main line and whatever pre-frontal stuff that might pop up.

I guess maybe they are waiting until 1630z to pull the trigger. But I'd still think there would be potential - I think we've seen more marginal events be given a 2% in our area before.

Archived