• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday (Aug 10) Severe Disc/Obs

Ellinwood

I'd think good sign? Aren't things supposed to get a bit better tomorrow (barring cloud cover of course).

i dunno if it means anything at all since the s/w for tomorrow is still way west but it's perhaps still good to get with a weak wind environment above. though we may also be seeing more sun and less crud today than tomorrow.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to say it's a good sign, but in my limited experience here I've seen a handful of tornado warnings up in the MD/VA Panhandles for what seems like a very localized area for rotating storms. I don't know if the orography up there is helping create some spin, but rotation definitely seems more prevalent up in that area when other parts of our region are lacking. I would rather see some tor warnings out in OH/IN since that's the real upstream air we'll be playing in tomorrow.

Nice looking tornado warned storm in IN!

I think we could be seeing severe storms along a line going overnight in Ohio, moving east in Western PA and exploding into low topped supercells, i would say tomorrow has a good chance of being a 30% wind day in West and Central PA/S NY,W MD area, I would go with a large 2% tornado from Virginia to the Canada Border, and 5% area for E OH and West and Central PA, with maybe if things come together a 10% in Central PA into perhaps MD and West PA

NAM sucks for tomorrow. I suppose the SREF and NAM are indicating S NY into C PA for a possible tornado, assuming the increase in SRH is legitimate. I feel like the 00z NAM solution is very different.

NAM sucks for tomorrow. I suppose the SREF and NAM are indicating S NY into C PA for a possible tornado, assuming the increase in SRH is legitimate. I feel like the 00z NAM solution is very different.

I haven't looked that deep -- is it that different?

I see CAPE took a hit.. probably because both seem to like morning convection around and given radar it's hard not to agree.

Hopefully it doesn't linger too long I guess.

For some reason I feel good about breaking into some sun before afternoon in the region.

As a target I like the HGR to State College to Johnstown to Cumberland box tho I have no terrain criteria so maybe it sucks (as im sure it mostly does).. tho that's the southern end of the better zone perhaps and I think anything tornadic is likely to be sorta random anyway. Today's activity was well sw of their 2% though looking at the trough orientation they probably should have 2% that area.

I see CAPE took a hit.. probably because both seem to like morning convection around and given radar it's hard not to agree.

Hopefully it doesn't linger too long I guess.

For some reason I feel good about breaking into some sun before afternoon in the region.

As a target I like the HGR to State College to Johnstown to Cumberland box tho I have no terrain criteria so maybe it sucks (as im sure it mostly does).. tho that's the southern end of the better zone perhaps and I think anything tornadic is likely to be sorta random anyway. Today's activity was well sw of their 2% though looking at the trough orientation they probably should have 2% that area.

18z run of the local ARW model from LWX has none of the morning stuff other than a couple showers it seems :lol: -

it sure looks like it might rain by morning.. http://radar.weather...s/full_loop.php

it's not a cut and dry setup.. there's plenty not to love about it. but i think that's normal here?

Oh yeah...it's gonna rain for sure I'd say. Local models probably on drugs.

I liked your tropical setup thought from earlier...even if we get rain in the morning might have enough juice to get low topped spinups perhaps.

I will say that with the uncertainty, I'd think that the 06z outlook in a few hours won't show much bullishness. Probably 2% tor, 15% wind, 15 or 5 hail. I'd think they'd wait until things became more clear for the morning or midday update before upping anything (if at all)

Actually - purely going on 0z NAM-hires...it looks like it "clears" us out of the precip for a time around 18z and then pushes through a big line of something big.

at this pt might as well just see what things look like in the morning. on a wider level not much has changed with the models in a few days. for many the most interesting thing might just be the heavy rain.. and some may have already seen their heaviest today. dca will get less than .05" somehow.

New Day 1 out -- 15 hail/wind, 0 tor (2 tor way up in N PA/NY)

..FROM THE CAROLINAS/MID-ATLANTIC NWD TO NEW ENGLAND

ABUNDANT CLOUD COVER AND WEAK LAPSE RATES ARE PRIMARY CONCERNS WITH

THE EVOLVING SVR POTENTIAL IN THE ERN U.S. DURING THE DAY FRI.

NEVERTHELESS...AS HEIGHT FALLS OVERSPREAD THE LOWER GREAT

LAKES...EXPECT TSTMS TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY AS

FORCING FOR ASCENT OVERSPREADS THE WARM SECTOR. INSTABILITY WILL

GENERALLY REMAIN IN THE RANGE OF 1000 TO 1500 J/KG DUE TO THE WEAK

LAPSE RATES/ABUNDANT CLOUD COVER. SOME BREAKS ARE EXPECTED

HOWEVER...RESULTING IN POCKETS OF HIGHER INSTABILITY.

WIND FIELDS ARE FORECAST TO STRENGTHEN ACROSS MUCH OF THE SLIGHT

RISK AREA RESULTING IN 0-6 KM SHEAR RANGING FROM 45 KTS OVER WRN

NY/NWRN PA TO 25-30 KTS OVER THE CAROLINAS. LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL

LIKELY BACK EAST OF THE SFC LOW OVER SRN NEW ENGLAND...AND A

CONDITIONALLY HIGHER TORNADO THREAT MAY EXIST IN THIS AREA WITH ANY

DISCRETE CELLS THAT DEVELOP. LARGE HAIL WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE...

ESPECIALLY WITH SUPERCELL STRUCTURES. ELSEWHERE...ORIENTATION OF

SHEAR VECTORS LARGELY PARALLEL TO THE FRONT SUGGESTS THAT LINES OF

STORMS/BOWING SEGMENTS WITH DAMAGING WINDS WILL BE THE MAIN THREAT

WITH A FEW HAIL REPORTS ALSO POSSIBLE.

SVR PROBABILITIES MAY NEED TO BE RAISED OVER PORTIONS OF THE SLIGHT

RISK AREA IN LATER OUTLOOKS IF CORRIDORS OF HIGHER INSTABILITY CAN

DEVELOP WITHIN THE WARM SECTOR.

Archived