Friday (Aug 10) Severe Disc/Obs

Ellinwood

day2probotlk_20120809_0600_any_prt.gif

...SRN/CNTRL APPALACHIAN REGION THROUGH MID ATLANTIC AND A PORTION

OF NERN STATES...

STORMS WILL LIKELY BE ONGOING ALONG AND JUST AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT

WITHIN WARM CONVEYOR BELT ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE TN AND OH VALLEYS

WITH GREATEST COVERAGE EXPECTED WEST OF THE APPALACHIANS. UPPER 60S

TO NEAR 70 DEWPOINTS WILL RESIDE IN PRE-FRONTAL WARM SECTOR.

DIABATIC WARMING OUTSIDE OF CLOUDY AREAS WILL DESTABILIZE THE

BOUNDARY LAYER...BUT WEAK MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES SHOULD TEMPER

INSTABILITY SOMEWHAT WITH MLCAPE GENERALLY AOB 1500 J/KG. STORMS

SHOULD INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY AHEAD OF THE COLD FRONT

DURING THE DAY...LIKELY EVOLVING INTO LINES AND CLUSTERS...THOUGH A

FEW DISCRETE CELLS WILL ALSO POSSIBLE. VERTICAL SHEAR IN MOST OF

WARM SECTOR WILL NOT BE PARTICULARLY STRONG OWING TO THE EQUIVALENT

BAROTROPIC NATURE OF THE UPPER LOW. EXPECTED MARGINAL THERMODYNAMIC

ENVIRONMENT AND MODEST VERTICAL SHEAR COULD SERVE AS POSSIBLE

LIMITING FACTORS FOR A MORE ROBUST SEVERE THREAT.

SOMEWHAT STRONGER DEEP AND LOW LEVEL SHEAR MAY DEVELOP FROM NRN MID

ATLANTIC INTO ERN PORTION OF THE OH VALLEY AND NERN STATES IN

ASSOCIATION WITH A MID LEVEL JET ROTATING THROUGH SERN PERIPHERY OF

THE UPPER LOW. IF SUFFICIENT INSTABILITY DEVELOPS...STORMS MAY

BECOME A BIT MORE ORGANIZED IN THIS REGION WITH POTENTIAL FOR

EMBEDDED MESOCYCLONES AND BOWING SEGMENTS. DAMAGING WIND WILL BE THE

MAIN THREAT...BUT A CONDITIONAL THREAT WILL EXIST FOR A COUPLE OF

TORNADOES.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6z trends were not good so we need to see the 12z stuff really turn around. With the current data, I wouldn't go 30% wind anywhere yet.

I havent looked at anything yet today. Maybe I'll cancel it instead.

Are you leaning towards that 5% being into PA at this point? I know that's where the SREF was leaning in last nights 21z run.

30% wind?

I would imagine they'd put a 5% tor in north-central and northeastern PA, leaving my chase target of Gettysburg just south of the 5%.

PA, western MD, WV and western VA could get 30% wind... would hold off on DC east due to timing concerns with the main line.

Are you leaning towards that 5% being into PA at this point? I know that's where the SREF was leaning in last nights 21z run.

30% wind?

I would lean north of DC at least for 5 based on the past few days of guidance. Since it's conditional they might not go that high anyway...

I guess a safe bet at this point would to be to go with a good chance of storms and a very conditional threat for interesting happenings. Maybe hype the flood risk more at this point?

New 12z NAM beginning to come in. It is pretty awesome how unstable my area is at 9-12z tomorrow. Strong theta-e advection in the low levels and pretty ridiculous dewpoints being modeled bring the CAPE values up.

I would lean north of DC at least for 5 based on the past few days of guidance. Since it's conditional they might not go that high anyway...

This, too :P Being the SPC, I would think most likely scenario is starting off with 2% and then targeting the 5% in an afternoon update when the details become evident.

I guess a safe bet at this point would to be to go with a good chance of storms and a very conditional threat for interesting happenings. Maybe hype the flood risk more at this point?

I think even with mostly cloudy skies we'll get some svr... that solution should still support CAPE of 1000+ across this area. Sun will really make things bubble.

Looks like the lack of a cap, quick destabilization and favorable synoptic lift get showers/t-storms blossoming quickly over the coastal plain area (late morning). There is also a weakening but somewhat sufficient low-mid level wind max that passes through during this time as well. What a complicated mess!

Looks like the lack of a cap, quick destabilization and favorable synoptic lift get showers/t-storms blossoming quickly over the coastal plain area (late morning). There is also a weakening but somewhat sufficient low-mid level wind max that passes through during this time as well. What a complicated mess!

Scattered strong storms with road ponding!

While not tropical I sorta envision a remnants type of scenario. Constant moisture feed.. Potential for multiple rounds. Maybe a zone that gets fed some sun etc causing a few small supercells.

Scattered strong storms with road ponding!

While not tropical I sorta envision a remnants type of scenario. Constant moisture feed.. Potential for multiple rounds. Maybe a zone that gets fed some sun etc causing a few small supercells.

Definitely. There could also be a zone that just escapes most rainfall sitting in between the early morning forcing and waiting for the second shot late at night.

Call me crazy, but I almost want to say the NAM is signaling some type of +RN/embedded low-topped supercells tomorrow morning across the eastern Mid Atlantic. You want to come to NJ? :axe:

I remember a situation like this last year where heavy rain advanced across the area morning-midday and it ended up producing an EF0 in Monmouth.

Definitely. There could also be a zone that just escapes most rainfall sitting in between the early morning forcing and waiting for the second shot late at night.

Call me crazy, but I almost want to say the NAM is signaling some type of +RN/embedded low-topped supercells tomorrow morning across the eastern Mid Atlantic. You want to come to NJ? :axe:

I remember a situation like this last year where heavy rain advanced across the area morning-midday and it ended up producing an EF0 in Monmouth.

Certainly a messy setup... tho I suppose most of them are around here. Not sure I'm a huge fan of the newest SREF parameters. But, overall I think southern to central PA is an OK target for early afternoon on. It's possible morning activity will ruin things I suppose.

Certainly a messy setup... tho I suppose most of them are around here. Not sure I'm a huge fan of the newest SREF parameters. But, overall I think southern to central PA is an OK target for early afternoon on. It's possible morning activity will ruin things I suppose.

Some people are already chirping up here. you'd think were in for a blizzard the way my co-workers are talking.

Some rotation in storms today with at least transient supercell structures from MD into NY.. maybe a good sign or a reach.

450 PM EDT THU AUG 9 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

SOUTHEASTERN MORGAN COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA...

NORTHWESTERN BERKELEY COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF WEST VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 515 PM EDT

* AT 449 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A

TORNADO WAS OVER WESTERN BERKELEY COUNTY...OR NEAR HIGHLAND

RIDGE...AND WAS MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

JONES SPRINGS...

TOMAHAWK...

JOHNSONTOWN...

I'd like to say it's a good sign, but in my limited experience here I've seen a handful of tornado warnings up in the MD/VA Panhandles for what seems like a very localized area for rotating storms. I don't know if the orography up there is helping create some spin, but rotation definitely seems more prevalent up in that area when other parts of our region are lacking. I would rather see some tor warnings out in OH/IN since that's the real upstream air we'll be playing in tomorrow.

I'd like to say it's a good sign, but in my limited experience here I've seen a handful of tornado warnings up in the MD/VA Panhandles for what seems like a very localized area for rotating storms. I don't know if the orography up there is helping create some spin, but rotation definitely seems more prevalent up in that area when other parts of our region are lacking. I would rather see some tor warnings out in OH/IN since that's the real upstream air we'll be playing in tomorrow.

I'd definitely think there is some orography at work. Probably similar to the little "tornado alley" we get down near La Plata with the winds on the Potomac.

Archived