northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
NE Tropical Thread

free_man

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's impressive. Have you seen some of the wikipedia reports? LOL, some weenie anemometer readings in there.

Yeah basically east of the center (no surprise) gusts were really impressive. The storm's east side was relatively limited given a somewhat large eye and the storm tracking NE instead of NNE.

Don't you hear Kevin's footsteps? lol

Yup

Meteorology, not modelology..I'll stick with the tropical experts on this one thanks

If this is a threat, its to the Caribbean and Gulf. Looks as though the NAO is trending towards neutral in the upcoming days. Flow is looking more zonal across the conus. The Alt ridge also looks to build W, preventing any curve to the N until at least Hispaniola.

Yup

If this is a threat, its to the Caribbean and Gulf. Looks as though the NAO is trending towards neutral in the upcoming days. Flow is looking more zonal across the conus. The Alt ridge also looks to build W, preventing any curve to the N until at least Hispaniola.

Cape Verde storms are great... we can ignore them for a few days lol

One of my tedious little fun things to do is Google those heads from that era, and read their bios of what's gone down in their lives since they had their 9.34 minutes of fame. Some of it is hilarious, albeit excruciatingly embarrassing at time as you read about their struggles to maintain and/or validate their narcissism, all the while force fed the reality of their mediocrity for decades, seemingly pretending it tasted like something else.

That last thing Turbo B apparently did was a " the 90's Festival in Russia and joined MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice on the Back 2 Cool tour in 2009." Omg - dude, you're not famous anymore - get over your self

did someone steal bobs keyboard

Bob's a good guy but that struck me as a pre- Andrew oopsism... Not sure a lot of the users of this site are old enough to remember Andrew, but it's easily researchable either way. Andrew struggled for a long while. It often looked like it might not get it's act entirely together and seemed to fall apart in the early part of its life some mid way through the Atlantic. It waited until 55 west to get strong.

So I wonder if everyone in Dade Country in southern Florida said stick a fork in the CV system - haha.

It is amazing how different the GFS OP and GFS Ensemble members are from one another. The GFS OP kills this system in the Caribbean, but the majority of the Ensemble Members have it north of Hispaniola and potentially threatening anyone from Key West to Bermuda.

aal94_2012081906_track_gfs.png

Most of the tropical guru mets like Moyer,Raleighwx..etc ..have it near the Bahamas in about 8-9 days seriously threatening the entire east coast

I was just reading this thread and thought I would post a bit about my experiences with Gloria. I was about 35 years old and lived in Boston at the time (Allston). First thing I remember was watching the news the evening before. Hurricane Warnings were flying and the whole evening news was about the storm and preperations. I went out to my folks house for dinner in Wayland. Driving home I was really impressed by how many people had taped up there windows. Along Comm Ave most windows were tapped up by nightfall. (tape helps little doesn't help but back then everyone did it). The storm hit during daylight. I was amazed how little rain fell. It rained but not hard. The wind would come in big gusts then a lull for a minute or two and then another big gust. I actually was not that impressed. High winds like in a squall line but not anything that made me move back from the windows or worry about structural damage. The storm passed Boston by late afternoon. I remember how beautiful the sky was. Deep blue with fast moving Cu. The air became so refreshing the evening after the storm. Power outages were wide spread. Lots of trees down but no structural damage I remember. All in all it was a letdown for me. I guess I was expecting more considering how powerful Gloria was just 48 hours before as she moved towards the coast.

Today is also the anniversary of the 1955 flood. Still amazed by those rain totals. 26" in Westfield in 8 days.

Ryan~ Still plenty of reminders in this area of the damage that was caused; we now have the Army Corp of Eng dam complex from Southern Worcester County right down to Putnam. All of these (Buffumville,Westville,Hodges, West Thompson) dams have done there job protecting this area from a flooding event like 55. The damage to Putnam was incredible!

jmo, this system will develop some and probably move through or NE of the islands. Not sure it'll move into the Caribbean, not impossible. It may not be a monster hurricane anytime soon, but it'll definitely need to be watched. My guess is it'll end up in the S Bahamas longer-term, that was my first guess yesterday and I'm sticking with it.

Archived