• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2012 Observations and Discussions

NEG NAO

I hate it when people seem to think that sea-breezes are only at the sea.

They originate from the sea, but they can travel several miles inland or more.

"In the afternoon, when the boundary layer heating over land is at its maximum, the sea

breeze is normally at its most intense, and can penetrate tens of kilometers - in some

cases, even over a hundred kilometers - inland."

http://kkd.ou.edu/ME...Sea_Breezes.pdf

The length of a sea breeze's reach often depends on topography in the direction in which the wind is traveling. As soon as the sea breeze has to traverse an elevation about 100-150 feet or so, it's usually dead. VERY local sea or even lake breezes can be intriguing at times. These usually only travel a few blocks, since they originate from a very small body of water.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right.

But sea breezes can and do indeed travel pretty far inland, if conditions are right.

If the temperature differential is big enough and the orientation of the pressure flow is right, But looking at the map below, you have to admit that it would be stretch for a typical seasonal sea breeze from the Atlantic to penetrate more than a few miles inland and New Brunswick is about 15 miles west of the Atlantic. I also think while it might be possible, it would still be unlikely that a breeze from the Lower NY/Raritan Bay could penetrate that far inland, following the valley of the Raritan River.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Brunswick,+NJ&hl=en&ll=40.486649,-74.451599&spn=0.781259,1.231842&sll=40.697488,-73.979681&sspn=0.778802,1.231842&oq=new+brunswik&hnear=New+Brunswick,+Middlesex,+New+Jersey&t=m&z=10

If the temperature differential is big enough and the orientation of the pressure flow is right, But looking at the map below, you have to admit that it would be stretch for a typical seasonal sea breeze from the Atlantic to penetrate more than a few miles inland and New Brunswick is about 15 miles west of the Atlantic. I also think while it might be possible, it would still be unlikely that a breeze from the Lower NY/Raritan Bay could penetrate that far inland, following the valley of the Raritan River.

http://maps.google.c...Jersey&t=m&z=10

Yeah, for them to make it to New Brunswick, LOTS would have to go "right". I might look up the date and such of such occurrence that I was mentioning and I'll get back to you on that. But yeah, a typical sea-breeze reaching New Brunswick would be quite the stretch.

But I do think that while not very common, sea breezes can and do indeed reach Newark decently frequently. SI's terrain and EWR's distance from the Atlantic can often stop sea-breezes, but I seriously doubt those are strong enough features to stop all sea breezes from reaching Newark.

I hate when people describe typical gradient flow as a "sea breeze". A lot of mets do it, as well, and it really bothers me. This type of flow is "onshore flow" around a system or system(s), and is not a "sea breeze", which is caused on light flow days from a temperature difference. Another thing that bothers me is when someone says a mix of rain and freezing rain, but we'll save that one for the winter.

True. BUT, if the synoptic flow is right, I usually say the synoptic flow "enhances" the sea breeze. This happens at times.

True. BUT, if the synoptic flow is right, I usually say the synoptic flow "enhances" the sea breeze. This happens at times.

If it's created as part of the flow, for example, everyone has SE winds, Mt Pocono would obviously not have a sea breeze, I just refer to it as onshore flow.

Disgusting. Welcome to August. Worst. Month. Ever.

Hoping for a little relief at the shore.

That's what I notice every summer. July is the hot month with upper 90s/100s but dews are usually under 70, but August is the humid month, temps in the mid to upper 80s to as high as mid 90s but with dews in the 70s. Personally I'll take the higher heat with lower dews rather than the disgusting humidity where it feels like a sweat shop outside.

I assume the higher humidity is do to the warmer oceans in August correct?

That's what I notice every summer. July is the hot month with upper 90s/100s but dews are usually under 70, but August is the humid month, temps in the mid to upper 80s to as high as mid 90s but with dews in the 70s. Personally I'll take the higher heat with lower dews rather than the disgusting humidity where it feels like a sweat shop outside.

I assume the higher humidity is do to the warmer oceans in August correct?

Not necessarily. Oceans were very warm this July as well. Higher humidity can be due to less atmospheric flow. A strong westerly wind will mix out the humidity. Light winds and stagnant air often lets the humidity that rose overnight stay up and not fall so much during the day.

Guest Pamela

Not necessarily. Oceans were very warm this July as well. Higher humidity can be due to less atmospheric flow. A strong westerly wind will mix out the humidity. Light winds and stagnant air often lets the humidity that rose overnight stay up and not fall so much during the day.

Yep. The mean N. American jet is generally at its weakest in August...generally tracking through Ontario and Quebec and barely influencing our area.

Highs of the day:

NYC: 90

LGA: 90

EWR: 90

JFK: 86

TEB: 91

Was on a gorgeous North Fork of LI beach all day. Fabulous beach weather. Mid 80's and water was pristinely crystal clear. Visibility was very high. More then usual. Easily 10'+.

I cant see how tomorrow isnt mainly cloudy for a good chunck of the day with storms. Already clouds moving into PA from storm complex oushing east. seems about 12 hours away making it mainly cloudy by early or mid morning. In other words we should fall below forecasted highs of near or 90 degrees.

Leading edge of clouds/storms is very scattered and it looks like we will see more sun tthe next few hours which when combined with dew's in the mid or even upper 70s will make today quite muggy. Based on current sat images looks like we're partly cloudy and maybe scattered storms the next 6 hours (till 2-3 pm) then more clouds between 3 and 5 builfing in. We may reach 90 in some spots with heat index values up there.

Guest Pamela

This is a heat wave for the urban corridor only it looks like. Fell short yesterday at 88F, so no day 3 for me.

I'm at 88.6 right now, so today will probably make 90, but it's interrupted, so doesn't count officially.

84.6 F currently in the Port Jeff / Mt Sinai area with a dew point of 78 F!

Guest Pamela

The forecast is for the heaviest rain overnight. However the nam says its over by early evening

12z GFS very wet for CT and L.I. after 11:00 PM tonight....

Archived