amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August 2012 Observations and Discussions

NEG NAO

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z euro is below Upton's guidance with regards to temps from Fri-Sun.

For NYC euro has:

Friday: 80-82

Saturday: 74-76

Sunday: 76-78

Sunday is going to be in the 80s unless clouds are around all day

and today was a pretty big bust with sky conditions, it was supposed to be mostly sunny instead we got milky sky with dim sun

Guest Pamela

Broke the streak of 90 degree days here today, yesterday was 90 (just barely), today was 88, nice surge late in the day when the sun popped out.

Up to 80 F today at NWS Upton after a morning low of 59 F...sea surface temperature at the buoy 20 miles south of the Fire Island Inlet also 80 F...good for both swimming and landfalling tropical storms.

Up to 80 F today at NWS Upton after a morning low of 59 F...sea surface temperature at the buoy 20 miles south of the Fire Island Inlet also 80 F...good for both swimming and landfalling tropical storms.

Sir, good observation. We need the trough to position itself in the Great Lakes. It likes our area this year. Funny how one year ago I remember DT calling for increased risk for East Coast --no matter his temperament or anything else, he explained his reasons, and a large north Atlantic high and great lakes troughiness was part of it.

Guest Pamela

Sir, good observation. We need the trough to position itself in the Great Lakes. It likes our area this year. Funny how one year ago I remember DT calling for increased risk for East Coast --no matter his temperament or anything else, he explained his reasons, and a large north Atlantic high and great lakes troughiness was part of it.

If one was to stray into the vicinity of the U.S....the semi-permanent Bermuda High would likely have to be displaced several hundred miles to the north and northeast so as to prevent recurvature out to sea...

Broke the streak of 90 degree days here today, yesterday was 90 (just barely), today was 88, nice surge late in the day when the sun popped out.

Geeze, you torch even on a cool day. Barely cracked 82F here after a 62F low. Newark looks like they hit 84, so you were significantly warmer than them.

Geeze, you torch even on a cool day. Barely cracked 82F here after a 62F low. Newark looks like they hit 84, so you were significantly warmer than them.

The high was 86 basically all day, and then it shot up. We had a surprise burst of sun. Low temperature here was a COOL (lol) 67!

Guest Pamela

We've come a long way since the '38 storm...to think, just 8 hours or so prior to landfall...no one had the slightest idea what was coming....at sunrise on the morning of the 21st, Hatteras was reporting NE winds peaking at 61 mph...but no one was aware of the ferocious nature of the storm sitting out in the Atlantic just 75 miles or so to the east. By 2:30 PM that afternoon, it came ashore around Patchogue, L.I...with a northbound forward speed of nearly 60 mph.

Sunday is going to be in the 80s unless clouds are around all day

and today was a pretty big bust with sky conditions, it was supposed to be mostly sunny instead we got milky sky with dim sun

More clouds again today streaming in from the south. Should be same as yesterday cap temps in the mid to upper 80s (where its more sunny). Reached 87 here in CNJ yesterday with the late sun.

Guest Pamela

today was an odd day. It was very sunny until 1 or so, and the temp shot up to 91, with relatively low humidity. Now, it's more cloudy and the temp is a lot lower, 85, but the humidity is very high.

High of 82 F at Islip and 83 F at NWS Upton...warm, humid day...fairly uncomfortable...but there have been many far worse.

Guest Pamela

if this is the weather when there is a trough whats it like when we finally get under a ridge

I think the worst of the heat is over...though I've been wrong before.

Second day in a row with a late afternoon high here in CNJ. Made it to 90. Highs for the area, two days of high clouds dimming the sun kept most areas from reaching 90.

PHL: 89

EWR: 88

TEB: 93

TTN: 87

LGA: 87

ACY: 83

NYC: 86

JFK: 86

ISP: 82

NBRNSWk: 90

I think the worst of the heat is over...though I've been wrong before.

I still think we have a late surge of high heat later next week into the weekend of the 8/18. Not sure if we exceed the 7/17 maxes but it will be interesting to track.

Guest Pamela

Second day in a row with a late afternoon high here in CNJ. Made it to 90. Highs for the area, two days of high clouds dimming the sun kept most areas from reaching 90.

PHL: 89

EWR: 88

TEB: 93

TTN: 87

LGA: 87

ACY: 83

NYC: 86

JFK: 86

ISP: 82

NBRNSWk: 90

That 93 F at McGraw Airfield looks a little weird....

when was the last time we had a big fat ridge sitting on top of us. I love heat but Im looking forward to that sunny blue sky and 80 degree 5-7 day stretch that we usually get in late August or sometimes September...does a rex block give us this?

Not really much of a trough, we're still more influenced by the western side of the WAR creating the warm southerly flow. The clouds limiting heat he last 2 days for most, but suspect we see more sun tomorrow and widespread 90 degree readings. Same for Friday ahead of any storms/rain. The weekened will be tough to forecast, but suspect sunday is the better day. Then back to the more humid/tropical flow next week where we should grow progressively warmer by the end of the week 8/17 into that weekend - as it looks like its trending on guidance.

That 93 F at McGraw Airfield looks a little weird....

It really was a matter of being able to break into a period of mainly sunny conditions which a majority of the region wasnt. Saw some readings in Linden, Elizabeth and C-NJ in the low 90s. Just broke 90 between around 330 here in Monroe.

Guest Pamela

I still think we have a late surge of high heat later next week into the weekend of the 8/18. Not sure if we exceed the 7/17 maxes but it will be interesting to track.

You've been pretty much dead on all summer so...

Guest Pamela

It really was a matter of being able to break into a period of mainly sunny conditions which a majority of the region wasnt. Saw some readings in Linden, Elizabeth and C-NJ in the low 90s. Just broke 90 between around 330 here in Monroe.

Yep...you know the "McGraw Field" thing is actually a mistake on my part...Peter Falk called it that in the '79 flick The "In Laws"..but, just checking for the first time now...I see it is not and has never been the name of the airport.

Archived