amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August 2012 Severe Thunderstorm/Convection Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was in Nanuet this afternoon.....unsure if it was totally storm related or not, but it was certainly around the time the decent storms rolled through. I wonder how TornadoJay made out:

treeintohouse.jpg

ouch imma go out on a "limb" pardon the irony and say that tree really screwed someones day haha.....some pretty wild weather today and some real big gradients in some locals

Only 0.28" recorded by my station in Bridgewater; my area got split with thunderstorms to my west and east. New Brunswick got very little too with only 0.14". In between though the training line of storms dumped up to 4" in some places according to this Dual Pol estimate:

313642_456696521030418_619137483_n.jpg

So true. I thought those 2 were merging at one point, but it didn't quite make it to piscataway. Got .15

We have a decent EML tomorrow, and shortwave to trigger t-storms tomorrow afternoon.Weak shear and high PWs will lead to slow moving t-storms producing flash flooding again. Also high cape and steeper lapse rates, storms will be pulsing to strong or severe levels. Main severe wx threats, will be large hail and strong wind gusts.

post-187-0-59639100-1343905321_thumb.gif

post-187-0-74549400-1343905211_thumb.gif

The models have trended towards a poor timing issue with Sundays event. The best forcing and height falls are now delayed into the overnight hours of Sunday Night into early Monday morning.

I think flash flooding is bigger threat than severe. It looks like tropical airmass, with dewpoints in the 70s. The GFS has been showing PWs 2-2.5", with this event. Shear and lapse rates don't look impressive for big severe:

post-187-0-88570300-1343940024_thumb.png

Big time slight risk for the D3...

zmce2d.jpg

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS ACROSS MUCH OF THE

NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC STATES TO OH/TN VALLEYS...

...MUCH OF THE NORTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC STATES AND OH/TN VALLEYS...

THE PRIMARY DEEP CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL ON SUNDAY WILL BE TIED TO THE

EAST-NORTHEASTWARD ADVANCEMENT OF A POTENT UPPER TROUGH...FROM THE

GREAT LAKES REGION EARLY SUNDAY TO QUEBEC/NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND BY

EARLY MONDAY. BROAD CYCLONIC FLOW ALOFT WITH A MODERATELY STRONG

BELT OF WESTERLIES WILL OVERSPREAD MUCH OF THE REGION...BUT

ESPECIALLY THE UPPER OH VALLEY/NORTHEAST STATES INTO NEW ENGLAND

THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT.

WHILE IT IS CONCEIVABLE THAT EARLY DAY TSTMS AND REMNANT OUTFLOWS

COULD BE FACTORS...AN INCREASE/INTENSIFICATION OF TSTMS OTHERWISE

SEEMS PROBABLE BY EARLY AFTERNOON ALONG/AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT

INCLUDING PORTIONS OF NY/PA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE UPPER OH VALLEY

TO THE TN VALLEY. RELATIVELY HIGH MOISTURE CONTENT...STEEPENING LOW

LEVEL LAPSE RATES...AND MODERATE BUOYANCY /1000-3000 J PER KG

SBCAPE/ WILL ACCOUNT FOR STRONG/SUSTAINED STORMS WITHIN A WEAK TO

MODERATE VERTICAL SHEAR ENVIRONMENT. MULTICELLS/LINE SEGMENTS ARE

LIKELY WITH DAMAGING WINDS AS THE PRIMARY OVERALL HAZARD...BUT SOME

SUPERCELLS MAY BE POSSIBLE ESPECIALLY ACROSS PORTIONS OF NY/PA.

SEVERAL ORGANIZED SYSTEMS/CLUSTERS MAY ULTIMATELY EVOLVE BY LATE

AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING.

FARTHER SOUTH/SOUTHWEST...WITHIN A WEAKER SHEAR BUT MORE UNSTABLE

PRE-FRONTAL REGIME...SEVERE TSTMS WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE TN

VALLEY/MID-SOUTH AND PERHAPS OTHER PARTS OF THE SOUTHEAST STATES.

@andyhb- i think sunday we may get some scattered severe storms and nothing widespread until you go further into PA, upstate NY. Also agree with the outlook primary threat will be damaging winds and hail. Just wanna make sure we have decent low/mid level lapse rates, seems like cape and EML "shouldnt" be an issue but still got time to iron out details

@andyhb- i think sunday we may get some scattered severe storms and nothing widespread until you go further into PA, upstate NY. Also agree with the outlook primary threat will be damaging winds and hail. Just wanna make sure we have decent low/mid level lapse rates, seems like cape and EML "shouldnt" be an issue but still got time to iron out details

There is no EML

Glancing over the forecast for tomorrow it looks to remain dry, but I was wondering if anyone thought storms could pop up down near PNC Bank Arts Center? I'm heading there to see a System of a Down/Deftones concert and was wondering if isolated storms could pop up along any sea-breeze boundaries? Any thoughts? Or are the storm chances basically nil tomorrow?

Guest Pamela

Remember, a severe thunderstorm is defined as one that produces a tornado, winds of at least 58 mph (50 knots), and / or hail at least 1" in diameter...so they are obviously pretty rare around here from a climatological perspective. The winds are likely the easiest of the three criteria to meet.

Remember, a severe thunderstorm is defined as one that produces a tornado, winds of at least 58 mph (50 knots), and / or hail at least 1" in diameter...so they are obviously pretty rare around here from a climatological perspective. The winds are likely the easiest of the three criteria to meet.

It's funny, though. That is the OFFICIAL definition, but if a storm knocks down significant tree limbs, NWS verifies their warning and calls it severe, even though it may very well have had less than 58 MPH winds.

It's funny, though. That is the OFFICIAL definition, but if a storm knocks down significant tree limbs, NWS verifies their warning and calls it severe, even though it may very well have had less than 58 MPH winds.

I think its fair to say todays definition of a severe storm is alot broader than what william posted as an "official" severe thunderstorm. To me if a storm does knock down signifigant sized/qauntities of tree limbs, produces qaurter sized hail its severe being with that damage can cause damage to property and/or injure/kill people.

I think its fair to say todays definition of a severe storm is alot broader than what william posted as an "official" severe thunderstorm. To me if a storm does knock down signifigant sized/qauntities of tree limbs, produces qaurter sized hail its severe being with that damage can cause damage to property and/or injure/kill people.

It's the wind part that's the most ambiguous. At times, I've seen 45 MPH winds do decent tree damage. If a storm comes thru with winds of that strength, and does tree damage, it will be verified severe.

Archived