• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Summer of 2012 BANTER thread...

ag3

Just got done reading that thread...we were doing so well as a subforum then we go make ourselves look like cry babies....psv88 has successful turn off every met from our forum.....great hm is gone..but i have psv and nycsnowwierdo to give me info...next time stfu

To tell you the truth I don't think the people that were saying it was a bust looked like cry babies. It was more of an admittance that it didn't pan out the way everyone thought it would. If anything that's being up front about the events that transpired. Whether it was right or wrong to call it that it irrelevant.

Personally I could not care less what people call it. All I know is that no trees and structures/power lines were damaged and that's a win in my book.

Plus you still have a roof over your head and there are no unpleasant dealings with your insurance company ;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got done reading that thread...we were doing so well as a subforum then we go make ourselves look like cry babies....psv88 has successful turn off every met from our forum.....great hm is gone..but i have psv and nycsnowwierdo to give me info...next time stfu

You are kidding me right? By discussing a bust I turned off all the Mets to the forum? The thread was about debating busts and the Mets didn't like my opinion. It happens. I said repeatedly to relax and not take it so personal. I guess asking tough questions is no longer allowed.

Ill stop posting for the sake of the board. Have a nice summer.

Lastly I always tell the Mets I respect them and their analysis. That's why I come to this board. To boycott is childish. Cannot get through life that way.

You were proven wrong, over and over again in that thread yesterday, and still kept rambling on, along with others. One of the best mets on this board, tried to explain things to you multiple times, and you completely ignored it, and still kept on. A map was even made to show you, and others, and even that didn't matter. It's awful telling when just about every met this subforum has doesn't want to post here anymore, they don't want to put up with the crap. But by all means, keep thinking the problem is with them, and not the people arguing with them yesterday.

You see a tropical threat coming? Lol

Not in the next week, obviously.

Keep the natural sarcasm in check, please.

1938 came on the Equinox. Waters are already warm, and you guys have about two months of the heart of the season. I'd put the chance of a hurricane in the OKX CWA about the same this year as a hurricane in the HGX CWA.

Not in the next week, obviously.

Keep the natural sarcasm in check, please.

1938 came on the Equinox. Waters are already warm, and you guys have about two months of the heart of the season. I'd put the chance of a hurricane in the OKX CWA about the same this year as a hurricane in the HGX CWA.

No I didn't mean like now obviously but this year, cause reading the tropical thread still seems quiet for a while. Do you think well finally have some action developing anytime soon?

No I didn't mean like now obviously but this year, cause reading the tropical thread still seems quiet for a while. Do you think well finally have some action developing anytime soon?

As we head into august things should perk up but right now the SAL is destroying the atlantic

Nothing tops for me March 2010. Basically 24 hours of 50 mph plus winds and at times it was approaching hurricane force. You could hear the even stronger winds just above the deck. A constant roar that sent shivers up my spine. Scary.

March 2010 was the scariest storm I've experienced.

We made the mistake of going to the Garden State Plaza that day. Luckily we made it out minutes before the mall lost power, but trees were falling left and right, we made it to the GWB (literally seconds before they closed it) and we were trapped in traffic with winds lifting up the front of the car. The black choppy Hudson River is a scene I'll never forget.

We made the mistake of going to the Garden State Plaza that day. Luckily we made it out minutes before the mall lost power, but trees were falling left and right, we made it to the GWB (literally seconds before they closed it) and we were trapped in traffic with winds lifting up the front of the car. The black choppy Hudson River is a scene I'll never forget.

That storm was epic I had no power for 2 days my neighborhood marine park lost tons of trees, 30-40 on the block of the park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Edla5PwGwM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Actually, in my amateur opinion, a slower than usual year. Probably about 10-13 named storms. Just the mean trough looks to be close enough to the East Coast that the Northeast has a shot at anything that does develop. Could also see fish. I was mainly liking temps that warm already and it isn't even August. Not going to put a 45% probability or anything on it. I think even 10% would be above normal for NYC/Long Island.

I'd watch the ten days centered around August 17th. Nothing to do with Jupiter. Seeing several MJO forecasts becoming more positive towards August 11, and hints in some of the recent CFS weeklies that lowest 500 mb heights may be in Eastern Lakes.

ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

Ed lizard where in Flushing did you grow up (if at all?)

Born in the hospital in Flushing, I don't remember NYC at all except my Aunt Frances lived in Glendale, and we would go in about every other Sunday.

My Dad knew Phil Rizzuto from the neighborhood.

Born in the hospital in Flushing, I don't remember NYC at all except my Aunt Frances lived in Glendale, and we would go in about every other Sunday.

My Dad knew Phil Rizzuto from the neighborhood.

Ok gotcha. I basically spent my whole life in NE Queens I thought maybe you could mention a few places I might be familiar with from when you frequented them.

I know irene was barely below hurricane force, was Gloria the last hurricane to landfall in the OKX CWA? Bob missed East, and I'm drawing blanks on anything after.

I think, Irene was literally downgraded right before landfall in Coney island, I hope we get a nice storm even fish storms are fun to track and go to the surf.

You are kidding me right? By discussing a bust I turned off all the Mets to the forum? The thread was about debating busts and the Mets didn't like my opinion. It happens. I said repeatedly to relax and not take it so personal. I guess asking tough questions is no longer allowed.

Ill stop posting for the sake of the board. Have a nice summer.

I feel the same way as you and Sundog. Quite frankly, I thought those on our side of the argument handled the discussion with respect, and class. We were only trying to have an honest, intellectual discussion of what went wrong, and as Sundog said, a general admittance that things didn't transpire as planned for NJ/NYC/LI. However, some seemed to take offense to this (which I'm not sure why). Even if they disagreed with what we were saying, a few were not going about it professionally; I don't need to say names. If some people don't return b/c of that thread, then honestly, I'm not sure how they get through life. There was nothing wrong with the discussion and the questions were fair and asked in a respectful manner.

You were proven wrong, over and over again in that thread yesterday, and still kept rambling on, along with others. One of the best mets on this board, tried to explain things to you multiple times, and you completely ignored it, and still kept on. A map was even made to show you, and others, and even that didn't matter. It's awful telling when just about every met this subforum has doesn't want to post here anymore, they don't want to put up with the crap. But by all means, keep thinking the problem is with them, and not the people arguing with them yesterday.

In retrospect, I think it was a bit of a semantics game. No, a technical bust cannot be declared for the SPC due to the nature of probabilistic forecasts; however, it was obvious (I would hope) to most people that the T-storms were not as intense or widespread as anticipated in the NJ/NYC/LI region. Everyone I talked to on Friday laughed about how far off the deterministic forecasts were for Thursday. So the general public impression was a bust for NJ/NYC/LI. For the weather world, we can say honestly, probability aside, that we expected the convection in PA/NY to maintain its severe nature into NJ/NYC. For most, it did not.

I feel the same way as you and Sundog. Quite frankly, I thought those on our side of the argument handled the discussion with respect, and class. We were only trying to have an honest, intellectual discussion of what went wrong, and as Sundog said, a general admittance that things didn't transpire as planned for NJ/NYC/LI. However, some seemed to take offense to this (which I'm not sure why). Even if they disagreed with what we were saying, a few were not going about it professionally; I don't need to say names. If some people don't return b/c of that thread, then honestly, I'm not sure how they get through life. There was nothing wrong with the discussion and the questions were fair and asked in a respectful manner.

If the SPC had put us in a high risk, I think that our dissenters would've had quite a different stance. Maybe not. I don't remember if there was a post-mortem thread on the 6/6/2010 bust, but those who did not view that day as a bust had even less reason to defend the SPC. Though, as I said in that bust thread for Thursday's event, I think the SPC did much better than Upton.

Ed, wouldn't NYC technically be at risk for a major hurricane any year now since every 70 years it averages out to a major one, last one 1938

http://www.weather20...Hurricanes.html

If average long term frequency is one every 70 years, there is a 1/70th chance in any given year, whether it has been 2 years or 100 years.

But even if 'overdue' doesn't actually increase the chances, you are overdue.

Part of it too was that the line moving through appeared to be bowing, causing Upton to go with a rare area wide Severe Thunderstorm Warning. If you are in a warning you should expect warning conditions, or close to them. Only a few isolated areas really got close to meeting the wind threshold.

But again its all the public impression like you said. NJ and LI could have seen nothing but if a tornado hit Manhattan and Brooklyn, all people would have been talking about was the severe weather outbreak.

In retrospect, I think it was a bit of a semantics game. No, a technical bust cannot be declared for the SPC due to the nature of probabilistic forecasts; however, it was obvious (I would hope) to most people that the T-storms were not as intense or widespread as anticipated in the NJ/NYC/LI region. Everyone I talked to on Friday laughed about how far off the deterministic forecasts were for Thursday. So the general public impression was a bust for NJ/NYC/LI. For the weather world, we can say honestly, probability aside, that we expected the convection in PA/NY to maintain its severe nature into NJ/NYC. For most, it did not.

The Belt Parkway was flooded during that storm

If average long term frequency is one every 70 years, there is a 1/70th chance in any given year, whether it has been 2 years or 100 years.

But even if 'overdue' doesn't actually increase the chances, you are overdue.

Yeah true, thanks for your insight, hoping we get something to track soon

Archived