northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Summer of 2012 BANTER thread...

ag3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the october snowstorm we had a hurricane, earthquake, and the storm itself....after, we've had a ****ty winter, heat, and boring weather.

The October storm ruined everything.

you didn't know that prior to. You were stupid for staying. No one was coming to rescue you.

I know how to swim :whistle:

Anthonys elevation is sea level, if not below. He lives on the water. A surge easily could have take out the lower portion of his home causing him to get stranded. It's not far fetched. The storm came up in the perfect direction to flood him out.

It wasn't even strong. I would have stayed even if it was a minimal hurricane.

As an aside, even though Irene came through as a strong TS, it will still awesome to experience, at least on the island. Sustained winds 50+ with gusts to 65 blows any severe storm away. The noise and power of that wind all night long was great.

Cant imagine what its like to be in a Cat 2 or 3.

As far as loud sustained winds go, I liked December 1992 the best. Was living in SE Monmouth during that one. Hearing the sound from that storm's winds has never been matched by any storm I've experienced since.

As far as loud sustained winds go, I liked December 1992 the best. Was living in SE Monmouth during that one. Hearing the sound from that storm's winds has never been matched by any storm I've experienced since.

I was only 8, but i still remember driving around with my dad seeing the massive flooding down by huntington harbor. the roads were under 1-2 feet of water. i have never seen anything like it since.

That storm was epic.

I was only 8, but i still remember driving around with my dad seeing the massive flooding down by huntington harbor. the roads were under 1-2 feet of water. i have never seen anything like it since.

That storm was epic.

I had never heard or seen anything like that before or since. I was 14. I woke up in the middle of night and couldn't grasp what the heck the noise was from. Couldn't equate it to it actually being wind. Unfathomable.

:twister:

Nothing tops for me March 2010. Basically 24 hours of 50 mph plus winds and at times it was approaching hurricane force. You could hear the even stronger winds just above the deck. A constant roar that sent shivers up my spine. Scary.

I had never heard or seen anything like that before or since. I was 14. I woke up in the middle of night and couldn't grasp what the heck the noise was from. Couldn't equate it to it actually being wind. Unfathomable.

:twister:

the winds 12/26/10 were pretty epic too though...we had many gusts 60+ whipping around 2 feet of snow. Being inside sounded like a TS at times. Id say top 5 wind events that i can remember. I think places in suffolk gusted to 68/69

Nothing tops for me March 2010. Basically 24 hours of 50 mph plus winds and at times it was approaching hurricane force. You could hear the even stronger winds just above the deck. A constant roar that sent shivers up my spine. Scary.

Yea cannot forget that. South shore got majorly ****ed up.. JFK gusted in the low 70's if i remember correctly.

Maybe, it is very close. I think where I was living in December 1992, we experienced higher sustained winds than 50mph. Where I was living during December 1992 when compared to where I was living for March 2010 allows me to put December 1992 ahead of March 2010 fairly easily.

the winds 12/26/10 were pretty epic too though...we had many gusts 60+ whipping around 2 feet of snow. Being inside sounded like a TS at times. Id say top 5 wind events that i can remember. I think places in suffolk gusted to 68/69

The winds were impressive for sure for 12/26/10. Where I was living in December 1992 allows me to keep it at the top of my list. Gusts to over 100 mph were reported just a few miles away from me not sure if it was ever recorded officially though. We definitely easily gusted past hurricane force for a significant stretch of time.

Yea cannot forget that. South shore got majorly ****ed up.. JFK gusted in the low 70's if i remember correctly.

The area from JFK to white plains back east to my area.was in the kill zone. We got all that wind to mix down in a perfect conveyor belt of precip and jet maxes. Unbelievable.

The area from JFK to white plains back east to my area.was in the kill zone. We got all that wind to mix down in a perfect conveyor belt of precip and jet maxes. Unbelievable.

Those winds didnt quite make it north of the southern state to be honest, id say north of the southern winds gusted mainly to 60, but not higher. Not sure what happened up by you, but sounds like it was impressive.

No he wouldn't. I like Anthony a lot, but who are we kidding, he was staying.

Anytime you don't listen to a mandatory evacuation order you're stupid. Suppose he had a medical emergency and it was to dangerous for the ambulance to get to you, or suppose they said sorry bud should have evacuated, then what? Or even a fire, you never know what could have happened. It doesn't take anything more than a strong tropical storm to cause decent storm surge.

I think of a lot of people in this area look and say "It's not going to happen to me". Yesterday when that cell ran east from Elmira to Middletown do you know what happened? The same people that had been rooting for severe weather all day suddenly became scared. Not everyone, but a lot. One of these days this area is going to get wrecked and unfortunatly a lot of people are going to be injured and hurt because nobody takes it seriously. At least in Elmira they are somewhat used to seeing severe weather. That same storm could have hit anyone of us, and then what?

Those winds didnt quite make it north of the southern state to be honest, id say north of the southern winds gusted mainly to 60, but not higher. Not sure what happened up by you, but sounds like it was impressive.

the issue up here was the length of time the winds blew at 40-60 mph--24 hrs of it along with heavy rains weakened alot of trees and over they went, especially the ever greens. Merritt Pkwy was a mess for months....

southern westchester was hit hard man, but I don't have any numbers other than my memory.

There is no denying the sw portion of fairfield county was blasted from greenwich to norwalk. Up past Norwalk, the affects were much less.

I remember texting earthlight and JAD about the damage even before the worst of it came through and then all hell really broke lose.

Compared to 12/92, different, much more intense winds for 12/92, easily over hurricane and up to 100 mph in some spots, but shorter duration. The storm itself lasted a while, but the winds were the most extreme early Friday and the coastal flooding was much worse in that storm.

The winds for 3/10 were less but sustained at higer speeds over a longer period of time.

the issue up here was the length of time the winds blew at 40-60 mph--24 hrs of it along with heavy rains weakened alot of trees and over they went, especially the ever greens. Merritt Pkwy was a mess for months....

Does the Merritt lose trees easily? It seems there are always reports of trees down on that road.

yup, just said that. It never let up, not once from 8am Sunday morning through 8am Monday. And from about 7pm through 3am, it was extremem at times.

Does the Merritt lose trees easily? It seems there are always reports of trees down on that road.

well it lined completely by trees, but that storm did a number on it. Since then, we have been dealing with the left overs from that storm as a lot of what didn't fall was weakened and has fallen since.

The state has done a lot of work clearing ou the old stuff and weakend stuff, its much safer now.

I'm so upset at yesterday's lackluster performance in this area that I want to read Plains forum threads during high risk days to ease my boredom now.

The easiest thing to do is not to get too excited about an event until it gets into our radar range and the first

storm reports start rolling in. We never really know what the outcome of a forecast is going to be until

the radar starts lighting up and we see what the actual storm reports look like. We had some early hints

yesterday when the mid-level lapse rates on the 18z soundings where not so great. We are still light years

ahead of when I was a kid in the 70's and had the old WW2 style radar scopes and primitive modeling

compared to today.

The easiest thing to do is not to get too excited about an event until it gets into our radar range and the first

storm reports start rolling in. We never really know what the outcome of a forecast is going to be until

the radar starts lighting up and we see what the actual storm reports look like. We had some early hints

yesterday when the mid-level lapse rates on the 18z soundings where not so great. We are still light years

ahead of when I was a kid in the 70's and had the old WW2 style radar scopes and primitive modeling

compared to today.

I know, but the thing is that I have a feeling the hourly SPC mesoscale analysis tool is a bit funky. I heard that the tool is based off the RUC model which isn't that accurate. So I think our severe parameters were even worse than what we thought. I couldn't believe the derecho and cravev #s the SPC pages were spitting out for NYC. I thought I was in the Plains for a second. Do you agree? Is there a better tool out there than the SPC's?

Archived