• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Summer of 2012 BANTER thread...

ag3

I had a gut feeling that some posters were going to get 5-posted. That June 26 thread felt like a snowstorm thread. People' posts were getting deleted left and right too. :D

The line was clearly weakening and whoever said anything about it got wrecked lol

i was laughing at people that couldnt accept that the line wasn't anything special until it was over.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know, but the thing is that I have a feeling the hourly SPC mesoscale analysis tool is a bit funky. I heard that the tool is based off the RUC model which isn't that accurate. So I think our severe parameters were even worse than what we thought. I couldn't believe the derecho and cravev #s the SPC pages were spitting out for NYC. I thought I was in the Plains for a second. Do you agree? Is there a better tool out there than the SPC's?

I think that the tools did a good job as confirmed by the 18z and 0z soundings. It's just that the better parameters

were west of us like they often are. JFK was still able to gust to 54 mph. I guess the uncertainty factor especially

when dealing with convection is what makes it so interesting to follow.

Guest Pamela

As far as loud sustained winds go, I liked December 1992 the best. Was living in SE Monmouth during that one. Hearing the sound from that storm's winds has never been matched by any storm I've experienced since.

Dec. 1992 is the best cyclone around here since at least 1970...be it mid latitude or tropical.

I said it was weakening as it approached and I got ripped apart.. There's always the people who refuse to except what's happening same people that refuse to belive that a snow storm is going to change to rain they argue till no end then like yesterday when it happens they act like they knew it all along

I think that the severe bust thread might have turned off earthlight from this forum since he hasn't posted about today's heavy rain and severe threat and has not posted anything here in almost 24 hours. I kind of regret starting that thread back in early July, but I couldn't resist since of the recent semi-busts.

I miss earthlight already. :(

I think that the severe bust thread might have turned off earthlight from this forum since he hasn't posted about today's heavy rain and severe threat and has not posted anything here in almost 24 hours. I kind of regret starting that thread back in early July, but I couldn't resist since of the recent semi-busts.

Here is his number. 867 5309. You can text him and get your fix..

Earthlight is a big boy he wouldn't run away from a forum he's been a part for so many years because of one dumb discussion.

Hope y'all don't mind a non-subforum regular posting. I was born in Flushing, my parents moved from Jackson Heights to Massapequa, where I experienced Belle, the Blizzard of 1978, and a poorly forecast surprise snow a couple of weeks before the 78 Blizzard that cancelled Catholic school in Amityville. My Aunt Marguerite still lives in Bay Shore. I saw Yankee home games at Shea Stadium. No, I said that right!

I'd start a NYC tropical thread, but I am an outsider. Ant or someone is free to copy images and ideas.

At 20 to 30 mph, a legit Cat 3 or Cat 4 only has 6 to 10 hours to weaken before landfall (see map below). And it is still July. And with Islip offshore buoy being mid 70s, even if a storm is weakening, low level airmass should be plenty unstable enough to mix down strong gusts. Not even talking if a system is just beginning extra-tropical transition, and is getting some baroclinic juicing.

Katrina showed a former Cat 4 or Cat 5's storm surge dimishes slower than the storm's intensity does, and Ike showed even a Cat 2 with an expanding windfield can generate a storm surge not normally expected from a Cat 2.

2012208atd26.png

Storm surge to Sunrise Highway by the LIRR tracks, Merrick Road under water. That'd be the real deal.

w12.jpg

Hope y'all don't mind a non-subforum regular posting. I was born in Flushing, my parents moved from Jackson Heights to Massapequa, where I experienced Belle, the Blizzard of 1978, and a poorly forecast surprise snow a couple of weeks before the 78 Blizzard that cancelled Catholic school in Amityville. My Aunt Marguerite still lives in Bay Shore. I saw Yankee home games at Shea Stadium. No, I said that right!

I'd start a NYC tropical thread, but I am an outsider. Ant or someone is free to copy images and ideas.

At 20 to 30 mph, a legit Cat 3 or Cat 4 only has 6 to 10 hours to weaken before landfall (see map below). And it is still July. And with Islip offshore buoy being mid 70s, even if a storm is weakening, low level airmass should be plenty unstable enough to mix down strong gusts. Not even talking if a system is just beginning extra-tropical transition, and is getting some baroclinic juicing.

Katrina showed a former Cat 4 or Cat 5's storm surge dimishes slower than the storm's intensity does, and Ike showed even a Cat 2 with an expanding windfield can generate a storm surge not normally expected from a Cat 2.

2012208atd26.png

Storm surge to Sunrise Highway by the LIRR tracks, Merrick Road under water. That'd be the real deal.

w12.jpg

You see a tropical threat coming? Lol

Just got done reading that thread...we were doing so well as a subforum then we go make ourselves look like cry babies....psv88 has successful turn off every met from our forum.....great hm is gone..but i have psv and nycsnowwierdo to give me info...next time stfu

Just got done reading that thread...we were doing so well as a subforum then we go make ourselves look like cry babies....psv88 has successful turn off every met from our forum.....great hm is gone..but i have psv and nycsnowwierdo to give me info...next time stfu

Me? I didn't even write in that thread......

Archived