• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Summer of 2012 BANTER thread...

ag3

The world is ending. NYC is warmer then Newark right now and by 2 degrees!

Newark's bias only comes into play when there is full sunshine hitting the weather station.

And NYC's bias only comes into play when its been wet. I have both sites figured out now.

:whistle:

sea breeze... ewr is exposed to water immediately to the e/se

Has anybody noticed that there is full sunshine hitting the obs. site at EWR, with the exception of a few scattered clouds (a rhetorical question).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only affects them on cloudy days. Any hint of sunshine, nothing affects their location.

here's a day from last year where ewr failed to hit 90 and the much more rural smq was a full 5 degrees warmer... notice the wind direction. i know it was sunny because i was tracking the wx that day while i got an oil change

http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

here's a day from last year where ewr failed to hit 90 and the much more rural smq was a full 5 degrees warmer... notice the wind direction. i know it was sunny because i was tracking the wx that day while i got an oil change

I hope u know I am playing around. Hence, banter thread.

Only affects them on cloudy days. Any hint of sunshine, nothing affects their location.

KEWR 091951Z 17008KT 10SM SCT085 BKN250 29/13 A2991 RMK AO2 SLP129 T02890128

KEWR 091851Z 19007KT 150V230 10SM SCT075 BKN250 29/13 A2993 RMK AO2 SLP134 T02940128

KEWR 091751Z 16007G15KT 10SM SCT070 BKN250 28/13 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP137 T02780128 10300 20239 55002

KEWR 091951Z 17008KT 10SM SCT085 BKN250 29/13 A2991 RMK AO2 SLP129 T02890128

KEWR 091851Z 19007KT 150V230 10SM SCT075 BKN250 29/13 A2993 RMK AO2 SLP134 T02940128

KEWR 091751Z 16007G15KT 10SM SCT070 BKN250 28/13 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP137 T02780128 10300 20239 55002

Newark has been reporting mostly cloudy all day. The sun's rays have to hit their station perfectly. Watch how the sun peaks out a little more in the next 2 hours and Newark jumps to 88.

:whistle:

Why would a GREENHOUSE gas warm the Earth if you increase their levels significantly in the atmosphere? Yea I know crazy talk.

Increasing the concentration of these gases upward would cause some warming, but that does not mean it is the dominant driver of temepratures. The sun is what CAUSES weather on Earth. You don't think that a significant change upward in solar activity would have a significant impact on Earth's Climate?

Yeah, I know, it's crazy talk.

Increasing the concentration of these gases upward would cause some warming, but that does not mean it is the dominant driver of temepratures. The sun is what CAUSES weather on Earth. You don't think that a significant change upward in solar activity would have a significant impact on Earth's Climate?

Yeah, I know, it's crazy talk.

If it was just the sun this planet would be a frozen wasteland well below freezing.

Guest Pamela

Haha that's funny. You're a funny guy.

Next thing you know you'll be telling him to get his ****** shinebox...

Has anybody noticed that there is full sunshine hitting the obs. site at EWR, with the exception of a few scattered clouds (a rhetorical question).

Newark is near Sea level while Central Park is over 125ft above Sea level...I wonder if Central Parks radiation shield/shelter is shaded at times while Newark isn't...

Why are people allowed to spread lies on a science board?

"The globally-averaged temperature across land and oceans for the first five months of 2012 was the 11th warmest January–May on record. Of note, the year-to-date global anomalies for 2012 have increased each month as the year has progressed and La Niña conditions waned — January: +0.35°C (+0.65°F); January–February: +0.37°C (+0.67°F); January–March: +0.39°C (+0.70°F); January–April: +0.46°C (+0.83°F); and January–May (+0.50°C (+0.90°F)."

January-May so far rank 9th for Northern Hemisphere land, 10th for global land, and 21st for Southern Hemisphere land. Water is 10/12/15, respectively. Not a single temperature metric anywhere is below average (land or sea).

Source: http://www.ncdc.noaa...bal/2012/5#temp

A Big Picture Look At “Earth’s Temperature” – Peter Gleick Edition

What did I say that is not true? There hasn't been historic record cold/snow during the past several years for a good part of the globe? Running near average via satellite:

ncep_cfsr_t2m_anom.png

so far running below for the year via satellite:

ncep_cfsr_t2m_ytd_anom.png

cfsr_t2m_2011.png

I'm not seeing the world on fire.

After climate gate i trust this a bit more. After all there was data that was modified to hide the recent global temperature declines. Why would they do this? IDK may be there's a few bucks to be made here. ... silly me...

If it was just the sun this planet would be a frozen wasteland well below freezing.

Yes, the Greenhouse Effect is important, but once you get to concentrations like now, the effect does not become as important because of the diminishing return relationship between increases in Carbon Dioxide and Temperature. The logarithmic aspect of CO2 will always give you around 1 Degree C per doubling with a blackbody. With an insensitiive climate system, as many measurements have confirmed, you would get even less per doubling of CO2, and the recent increase in CO2 would be too small to explain the 0.7-0.8 Degree C warming over the last 150 years.

A Big Picture Look At “Earth’s Temperature” – Peter Gleick Edition

What did I say that is not true? There hasn't been historic record cold/snow during the past several years for a good part of the globe? Running near average via satellite:

ncep_cfsr_t2m_anom.png

so far running below for the year via satellite:

ncep_cfsr_t2m_ytd_anom.png

cfsr_t2m_2011.png

I'm not seeing the world on fire.

After climate gate i trust this a bit more. After all there was data that was modified to hide the recent global temperature declines. Why would they do this? IDK may be there's a few bucks to be made here. ... silly me...

Those are not temperature charts via satellite, they are GFS 2 meter re-analysis anomaly maps for the globe.

But since its been raised again, for upteenth millionth time, I agree with you. The evidence is overwhelming that it does exist, due to the man-made generated increases in greenhouse gases - CO2, since the industrial revolution.

Man could not have had a large impact on the Global Temperatures until the late-20th Century Warming, and even that is questionable whether that is due to anthropogenic greenhouse gases or not.

Newark is near Sea level while Central Park is over 125ft above Sea level...I wonder if Central Parks radiation shield/shelter is shaded at times while Newark isn't...

I'll concede that solar radiation has a greater impact on Newark Airport than Central Park, confirmed persistently by the stats. But there are exceptions such as when the seabreeze kicks in from Newark Bay, lying just to its east.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Newark+Airport&hl=en&ll=40.706018,-74.150162&spn=0.097338,0.15398&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.576045,78.837891&oq=newarj&hq=Newark+Airport&t=m&z=13

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-18770815

BOOM.

Hottest 1 year period in US since record keeping began.

Concrete Jungles across America today! Does anybody really believe this garbage? How desperate must you be? USA is now the globe? I guess just take 3% of Earth represented by USA and extrapolate for rest of the globe.

With all this warming wheres all those tornadoes and Hurricanes??? Never mind...

If I'm to believe that it is human generated then what is the explanation for the incredible heat waves of the 1920's ,1930's with less humans around, not to mention a vastly less industrialized world? Why was it so hot? I'm really struggling with that. If some records have stood since then, and many still do, 80-100 yrs ago, doesn't that cause you to wonder: geeze it musta been hot then too. This is not new to our climate!

So, extreme heat broke how many records? Out of how many? 3,000, 300k, or 3 million? How many records weren't broken -- is a good question.

One way to solve this, just tell people that carbon taxes will make their air conditioning more expensive.

My favorite people

DT, JB, Ruggie, Henry M

I can see Ruggie being a legit one for you, but the other 3 have me scratching my head. Especially since they all talk trash about each other one one form or another.

Henry/JB

JB/Henry

DT/everybody.

Concrete Jungles across America today! Does anybody really believe this garbage? How desperate must you be? USA is now the globe? I guess just take 3% of Earth represented by USA and extrapolate for rest of the globe.

With all this warming wheres all those tornadoes and Hurricanes??? Never mind...

If I'm to believe that it is human generated then what is the explanation for the incredible heat waves of the 1920's ,1930's with less humans around, not to mention a vastly less industrialized world? Why was it so hot? I'm really struggling with that. If some records have stood since then, and many still do, 80-100 yrs ago, doesn't that cause you to wonder: geeze it musta been hot then too. This is not new to our climate!

So, extreme heat broke how many records? Out of how many? 3,000, 300k, or 3 million? How many records weren't broken -- is a good question.

One way to solve this, just tell people that carbon taxes will make their air conditioning more expensive.

Funny thing is the record heat waves of the 20's and 30's in the usa were also man made! The dust bowl was caused by bad farming! Hence drought and resultant lower dew points led to higher temps.

Funny thing is the record heat waves of the 20's and 30's in the usa were also man made! The dust bowl was caused by bad farming! Hence drought and resultant lower dew points led to higher temps.

Wasn't the dust bowl in the 1950s combined with the extreme heat that decade? Oh wait that's right droughts are something new.

And I'm guessing the extreme heat of the medieval times was also man made?

History is the key that opens the door to further knowledge and tells us why our weather is acting like it is.

Another day of partly cloudy skies and Newark's temps are in check.

NYC is actually the warm spot right now at 86 degrees.

LGA/JFK are 82 and Newark is 85.

Facts:

-When its not fully sunny, EWR stays in line with the other stations

-When NYC has been very dry, Central Park station is on par or warmest out of the local ones

Not saying Newark is flawed. Just stating the trends I've noticed the past couple years.

Wasn't the dust bowl in the 1950s combined with the extreme heat that decade? Oh wait that's right droughts are something new.

And I'm guessing the extreme heat of the medieval times was also man made?

History is the key that opens the door to further knowledge and tells us why our weather is acting like it is.

Im at a loss for words... The dust bowl happened in the 1950's? ehhhh

Archived