• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post Tropical Cyclone Debby

Buoy winds just increased to 140 deg 33 g 45 kts ... time to drop a name on this.

My guess is track NW then W, over 3-4 days heading towards central TX coast, possibly reaching cat-2 intensity by 72h south of Galveston, landfall north of CRP. Obviously large range of possible tracks but the northeast option looks very weak on current upper air guidance. Don't feel it would just chug NNW into LA-MS from swelling upper high, cloud presentation hints at westward track already.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS

CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.

1130 AM EDT SAT JUN 23 2012

SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)

VALID 24/1100Z TO 25/1100Z JUN 2012

TCPOD NUMBER.....12-036

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. SUSPECT AREA (GULF OF MEXICO)

FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 70 --

A. 25/0000Z, 0600Z

B. AFXXX 0304A CYCLONE

C. 23/2245Z

D. 27.5N 88.2W

E. 24/2300Z TO 25/0600Z

F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

FLIGHT TWO -- TEAL 71 --

A. 25/1200,1800Z

B. AFXXX 0404A CYCLONE

C. 25/1045Z

D. 27.5N 88.2W

E. 25/1100Z TO 25/1800Z

F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: CONTINUE 6-HRLY FIXES.

3. REMARK: MISSION FOR 24/1200-1800Z FORM POD 12-035

WILL FLY AS ALREADY TASKED.

I'm sure it was just a comment on its linear inflow band in the northwest Caribbean, which has been helped along by the vertical wind shear. The Dvorak technique welcomes curved bands, since liner bands appear frontal on satellite imagery.

Does that mean they canx the early afternoon invest?

To Josh- I don't see any fronts...

ttd.gif

Kinda looks like a sub-tropical cyclone with a decent circulation but all the convection and strongest winds displaced 100+ miles away from the center. Better than yesterday though, and might be enough to declare some sort of depression this afternoon. TDs spawned by monsoon gyres can often be a mess like this.

The upper-low near Texas is key in shearing this thing. It's retrograding westwards though (albeit slowly), and the further away it gets the better.

Buoy winds just increased to 140 deg 33 g 45 kts ... time to drop a name on this.

My guess is track NW then W, over 3-4 days heading towards central TX coast, possibly reaching cat-2 intensity by 72h south of Galveston, landfall north of CRP. Obviously large range of possible tracks but the northeast option looks very weak on current upper air guidance. Don't feel it would just chug NNW into LA-MS from swelling upper high, cloud presentation hints at westward track already.

sounds like a good forecast. are you still thinking your seasonal numbers will verify?

The GGEM has shifted east, hangs it back just offshore LA then eventually inland in the MS area. I will be really interested to see what the Euro and UKIE do now.....

0z had that same solution...Ukie is a landfall near Corpus (0z was a hit to Galveston)

I don't think it is uncommon for them to fly right off the deck when they're trying to fix a surface center in a mess like this when the area is devoid of convection and turbulence.

You're correct, when recon is investigating systems that are quite weak (I'm not talking TD/weak TS, but just a relatively organized area of convection) they will often fly just above the deck. Obviously when there are indications the system is more organized, they bump it up to 850 millibars.

ABNT20 KNHC 231755

TWOAT

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

200 PM EDT SAT JUN 23 2012

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

BUOY OBSERVATIONS...SATELLITE DATA...AND PRELIMINARY RECONNAISSANCE

DATA INDICATE THAT A TROPICAL STORM MAY BE FORMING IN THE CENTRAL

GULF OF MEXICO ABOUT 250 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF THE MOUTH OF THE

MISSISSIPPI RIVER. IF THE PLANE IS ABLE TO IDENTIFY A WELL-DEFINED

SURFACE WIND CIRCULATION...THEN ADVISORIES WILL BE INITIATED LATER

THIS AFTERNOON. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...90 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE AS IT MOVES SLOWLY NORTHWESTWARD DURING

THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Archived