THIS WEEKEND THROUGH NEXT WEEK...THE BIG STORY WILL BE THE

DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE OVER THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO. THERE HAS

NOT BEEN MUCH CHANGE IN THE 12Z SUITE OF MODEL GUIDANCE...MOST OF

WHICH SHOWS A SLOW NORTHWARD MOVEMENT THIS WEEKEND THEN TURNING

WEST INTO THE WESTERN GULF OF MEXICO WHICH IS THE MORE LIKELY

SCENARIO ACCORDING TO THE HURRICANE CENTER. THE LATEST GFS

CONTINUES TO BE AN OUTLIER BRINGING THE SYSTEM EASTWARD ACROSS THE

FL PENINSULA ON TUE.

OK, that's kinda lame if the usually acid-trippy HWRF can't produce a good acid trip with this one.

The upgrade with the HWRF may have made a difference. Baby steps....

Test results from the combination of these upgrades showed significantly improved track, intensity and structure forecast skills and improved track, intensity and storm radius forecast biases in both Atlantic and Eastern North Pacific basins.

The upgrade with the HWRF may have made a difference. Baby steps....

Test results from the combination of these upgrades showed significantly improved track, intensity and structure forecast skills and improved track, intensity and storm radius forecast biases in both Atlantic and Eastern North Pacific basins.

Ah, OK. Makes sense.

TCFA for 96L

SUBJ/TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION ALERT//

WTNT21 KNGU 221600

RMKS/

1. FORMATION OF A SIGNIFICANT TROPICAL CYCLONE IS POSSIBLE WITHIN

100 NM EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 22.6N 88.3W TO 26.0N 88.3W

WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS. AVAILABLE DATA DOES NOT JUSTIFY

ISSUANCE OF NUMBERED TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNINGS AT THIS TIME.

WINDS IN THE AREA ARE ESTIMATED TO BE 20 TO 25 KNOTS. METSAT

IMAGERY AT 221545Z INDICATES THAT A CIRCULATION CENTER IS LOCATED

NEAR 22.5N 88.3W. THE SYSTEM IS MOVING NORTHWARD AT 02 KNOTS.

2. REMARKS:CURRENT MODEL GUIDANCE IS DEPICTING INTENSIFICATION

OF A TROPICAL WAVE OVER THE YUCATAN PENINSULA. AT 221544Z,

INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATED A BROAD AREA OF

SHOWERS/THUNDERSTORMS THAT HAS PERSISTED FOR OVER 12 HOURS.

FAVORABLE SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES OF 83 TO 85 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT

IN CONJUNCTION WITH WEAK VERTICAL SHEAR MAY ENHANCE DEVELOPMENT OF

THIS SYTEM INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

3. THIS ALERT WILL BE REISSUED, UPGRADED TO WARNING OR CANCELLED

BY 231600Z.//

NHC has it up to 80%

atl1.gif

question for the pro mets looking at this thread..at what level should we be looking for increasing/decreasing shear to give us a signal of possible strengthening? especially north of the system, if shear quiet's down out of the west, I would expect some kind of intensification, but what is the critical level??...Thanks in advance

question for the pro mets looking at this thread..at what level should we be looking for increasing/decreasing shear to give us a signal of possible strengthening? especially north of the system, if shear quiet's down out of the west, I would expect some kind of intensification, but what is the critical level??...Thanks in advance

There are no hard rules, but a good rule of thumb is <20kts of shear, obviously the lower, the higher the chance...the area that it must cover should be rather large around the LLC.

Question -- The recon on Saturday is a tentative thing? They will cancel it like they did today if there is not enough going on, right? Or will they be going no matter what...

Yes, Yes, No

If the global models are right... the shear over the system the next 24-48 hours is actually probably going to increase as an upper level low dips southward into the Western Gulf of Mexico. You can see the upper level trough already starting to get better organized over Texas coastline as it moves southward. While I think the llc is getting better defined, it was still far too broad to take advantage of the transient anticyclone that developed over the system yesterday. I think the storm can get to TD or even minimal TS strength even with this current disheveled upper level pattern, but forget about any sort of robust intensification until that upper level impulse gets out of the way. That could be 2-3 more days away. I'll have a full outlook later tonight.

bhesdk.png

23/0z 850mb vorticity...is this thing getting it's act together?

Slowly so.

Upper level conditions are better, but still not very conducive, especially considering it's a huge low. Low level structure has gotten better, also. Like others have said it, this thing needs over 24 hours (48?) to consolidate into a more compact one, with persistent convection over it.

If the global models are right... the shear over the system the next 24-48 hours is actually probably going to increase as an upper level low dips southward into the Eastern Gulf of Mexico. You can see the upper level trough already starting to get better organized over Texas coastline as it moves southward. While I think the llc is getting better defined, it was still far too broad to take advantage of the transient anticyclone that developed over the system yesterday. I think the storm can get to TD or even minimal TS strength even with this current disheveled upper level pattern, but forget about any sort of robust intensification until that upper level impulse gets out of the way. That could be 2-3 more days away. I'll have a full outlook later tonight.

Yep, I agree...but models split a piece of that TUTT and dive it southwestward (as a ULL)...if it can keep a distance from our low, it could be beneficial as an excellent venting source, which some models are hinting at just prior to landfall.

Did you mean southward into the western Gulf or eastward across the northern Gulf? Either way, it sounds like you're implying a Lee-like development in the Gulf.

If the global models are right... the shear over the system the next 24-48 hours is actually probably going to increase as an upper level low dips southward into the Eastern Gulf of Mexico. You can see the upper level trough already starting to get better organized over Texas coastline as it moves southward. While I think the llc is getting better defined, it was still far too broad to take advantage of the transient anticyclone that developed over the system yesterday. I think the storm can get to TD or even minimal TS strength even with this current disheveled upper level pattern, but forget about any sort of robust intensification until that upper level impulse gets out of the way. That could be 2-3 more days away. I'll have a full outlook later tonight.

bhesdk.png

Did you mean southward into the western Gulf or eastward across the northern Gulf? Either way, it sounds like you're implying a Lee-like development in the Gulf.

Yes I meant Western GOM. I think Lee is actually a relatively good analog aside from the time of the year. IIRC Lee was also forecast to make landfall in TX but ended up moving further north. The upper level pattern is slightly different this go around but I still remain skeptical 96L makes it as far west as the ECMWF is indicating.

Yep, I agree...but models split a piece of that TUTT and dive it southwestward (as a ULL)...if it can keep a distance from our low, it could be beneficial as an excellent venting source, which some models are hinting at just prior to landfall.

Yea I see that too, but that's quite a few days down the road, and models are notorious for moving ULL out of the way too fast. A good analog to ponder at this point might be some sort of Lee(2011)/Claudette(2003) hybrid given the synoptic pattern indicated in the global modeling.

is it just me or is the low redeveloping just off the Yuc. peninsula. The picture below is of 96L. You can see the thunderstorms around the new center and the areas marked by black strips are where convection has blown up. You can see the spin on the loop below...

1109gxw.jpg

LOOP:http://www.ssd.noaa....h-rb-short.html

Not just you. I posted an hour or so ago that the satellite rotation was SE of best track. I assume I am seeing the MLC, but perhaps the system will develop a new center inder that.

ETA- new GFS still Florida, and I don't think it can be dismissed just because it is an outlier.

Archived