Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid June Heat Wave

Chicago Storm

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAP's going gangbusters with temps tomorrow.

Widspread low 100s from Nebraska to Central Iowa to Northern Illinois to Southern Michigan.

I just noticed this earlier...The RR on the NOAA ESRL site is much different from what's shown on Twisterdata.

RAP's going gangbusters with temps tomorrow.

Widspread low 100s from Nebraska to Central Iowa to Northern Illinois to Southern Michigan.

The RAP did that the day before Memorial Day and it busted horribly. Probably more like widespread mid 90s tomorrow.

Any reason to think it will be right?

No.

Though, with the ridge strengthening, it's quite possible temps today will be slightly warmer than yesterday, with a little drier air advecting in.

Looks like what ultimately went wrong was the poor handling of the pattern amplification, which is typical.

The RAP did that the day before Memorial Day and it busted horribly. Probably more like widespread mid 90s tomorrow.

Yeah, RAP's been hit or miss.

It seems to do better on days without convection factoring in.

I can say it has been right on with the temps, at least loaclly, several time this season.

Know it's going to be hot when temps tonight are rising. Went from 74 to 78.

Yeah in the last couple of hours many spots in the state have actually risen, if we start out the morning at 80 we won't have too far to climb to eclipse the record of 95.

HRRR has been showing a section of SEMI on a line from Hillsdale to Oakland counties not even hitting 90 today.

Mid-80's across SEMI right now.

I highly doubt that happens.

In any event, the 12z NAM has slowed things down just enough Thursday for Detroit to have a third day of 90*F+ temperatures, making this by definition an official heatwave.

It also blows up a decent squall line overhead around 19z-20z.

Givn how ****ed up yesterday was, I hope the 12z NAM is right.

ORD up to 86 as of 10AM.

With a bit deeper mixing and a bit warmer thermal profiles, Skillings 97 looks good.

Several sites in S. WI are up to 88 as of 10AM.

Maybe I'm being influenced by yesterdy but I think 97 may be a bit optimistic. I think more like 95 or 96.

A new record high min will be set at ORD today, assuming nothing strange happens before midnight. The low this morning was only 78. The old record was 75 in 1931.

Also, no day prior to June 19 has ever had a low temp of 79+ in recorded history. So, this morning, ORD was within one degree of setting a new record for the warmest low temp so early in the season.

I think 97-98 for ORD. Today compared to yesterday, mixing is a bit deeper, but it's a bit less windy. No clouds are present currently. Also, it started warmer today and is warmer now than at this time 24 hours ago. If it reaches 98, it will be the earliest that it's been as warm or warmer since 14 June 1987, when it reached 99.

Edit: Maybe not ... 94-95 might be a better estimate.

Archived