Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid June Heat Wave

Chicago Storm

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORD <em>only</em> up to 89 as of noon.

Skilling still going with 95-102 area wide, but it's becoming obvious no one will get near 100.

I would've thought 90 or 91 by now. I sorta wonder if there is too much wind today and if it could keep max temps down a hair. Mixing is deep, which is a plus for maxing out, but the strong low level wind could be mixing/disrupting the near surface layer more than normal? I don't know...just a thought.

weird to see the Tundra of Waukegan warmer than Chicago the last 3 hrly obs and won the race to 90

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. Actually, Racine and Kenosha are warmer than many Chicago area obs, which is also weird. This should be the most uncomfortable day of the year so far, with the moister heat compared to the dry heat we've experienced in abundance this year.

I would've thought 90 or 91 by now. I sorta wonder if there is too much wind today and if it could keep max temps down a hair. Mixing is deep, which is a plus for maxing out, but the strong low level wind could be mixing/disrupting the near surface layer more than normal? I don't know...just a thought.

Maybe the slight increase in soil moisture is an issue too? Not sure.

IA isn't doing well temp wise either.

Didn't expect dew points to be this high at this time, thought more mixing would take place and I'm sure that is playing a role in max temps.

I would expect dews to creep down but there is pretty decent moisture through 850 mb, which would suggest that even great mixing might not lower them drastically.

A couple days ago the nws had much of Iowa in the upper 90s, but we won't come close to that. Even mid 90s may be too high. It also hasn't been exceptionally windy. The CR airport has only been gusting into the low to mid 30s.

I see a lot of locations at 90° or still in the upper 80s across eastern IA/NW IL!

I think 93° is going to be the high here.

Edit: Down to 92° at 4pm.

Archived