Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid June Heat Wave

Chicago Storm

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS has bumped much of Iowa into the upper 90s for Monday. The wind will be nice, although I'll likely have to move some plants into the garage so they don't get ripped apart.

Yeah DVN has been slowly bumping up temps each day since last Thursday. Point up to 96 tomorrow and 95 Tue for much of the QCA. 30-40mph winds with that kind of heat is always kind of cool. Those winds should only help to dry out the topsoil as well I would think.

Yeah DVN has been slowly bumping up temps each day since last Thursday. Point up to 96 tomorrow and 95 Tue for much of the QCA. 30-40mph winds with that kind of heat is always kind of cool. Those winds should only help to dry out the topsoil as well I would think.

I think the soils will have a good shot at drying out here, but south and west of Chicago - I doubt it. The talk of storms tonight and tomorrow may keep areas near here on north a bit cooler. That's probably why my highs were knocked down a few degrees. Edit: The rain only soaked in about 1 3/4" here. Soils in Kankakee County are dripping wet I'm sure!

Quote from LOT:

THE STRONG WAA AND RETURN OF MOISTURE RICH LOW LEVEL AIR IS

EXPECTED TO RESULT IN THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT IN THE EASTERN

DAKOTAS AND MN LATER TODAY. WHILE THE MEAN FLOW WILL BE OUT OF

THE W ACROSS THE REGION TONIGHT A CONVECTIVE COMPLEX MAY TURN SE

AS IT FEEDS ON THE STRONG LOW LEVEL THETA-E ADVECTION AND TRACKS

DOWN THE THETA-E RIDGE AXIS. MAJORITY OF MODELS HAVE THE

CONVECTIVE COMPLEX MOVING ESE ACROSS WI AND BYPASSING MOST OR ALL

OF IL SO ONLY HAVE 15-30 PCT POPS ACROSS CENTRAL AND NORTHERN

COUNTIES... WITH HIGHEST POPS AS ONE APPROACHES THE WI BORDER.

I'm wondering how much impact the wet soils will have on temperatures this coming week. Maybe low to mid 90s at best?

It depends upon how much rain any one area got. I had 0.05" during a brief midday thunderstorm yesterday, and, by supper-time, the soil looked hardly as if it had rained. Overnight, I had 0.35". With evaporation rates this time of year on the order of 0.20" - 0.30" per sunny day (like today), soil-moisture conditions will be back to where they were prior to this weekend by tomorrow in my area and much of the rest of northern Illinois north of I-88. Areas like Kankakee County, etc., that had several inches of rain might have some lasting effects.

The heat/wind combination looks pretty impressive tomorrow especially for you guys farther north. Could easily envision mid/upper 90's and occasional gusts over 40 mph.

Usually our hottest days are windy like that. If it's just hot with light winds then there nothing to stop a lake breeze, then that cuts the warming off usually around 90° any time. It will be interesting to see if any debris clouds are around in the morning to interfere with heating. Still 92° predicted here.

I don't know if there is an easy way to figure this but it would be interesting to know the last time there was a temp of 95 with 40 mph winds at ORD.

I took a look into this question using the MRCC's climate-records database (to which you need a subscription). Hourly data (which would contain wind velocities) are available only back to 1996. Hence, first, I compiled all dates on which the temperature was 95 degrees or higher, starting from the present and going back to 1996. Then, I pulled up the hourly observations for each of those dates. Scanning through the hourly observations, the highest sustained wind speed that I could find was 21 knots. Of course, there may have been gusts to 40 MPH on any of these dates. It seems to me that, at least for inland locations in the Chicago area, such days are usually a bit breezy but not usually obnoxiously windy, either.

I took a look into this question using the MRCC's climate-records database (to which you need a subscription). Hourly data (which would contain wind velocities) are available only back to 1996. Hence, first, I compiled all dates on which the temperature was 95 degrees or higher, starting from the present and going back to 1996. Then, I pulled up the hourly observations for each of those dates. Scanning through the hourly observations, the highest sustained wind speed that I could find was 21 knots. Of course, there may have been gusts to 40 MPH on any of these dates. It seems to me that, at least for inland locations in the Chicago area, such days are usually a bit breezy but not usually obnoxiously windy, either.

I went through F6's, which have maximum wind gusts, back to 1998 and I couldn't find a temp AOA 95 concurrent with a gust of 40 mph. There were a few instances in which both of those events occurred on the same day but not at the same time (late evening gusty thunderstorms).

LOT zone for Rockford. :yikes:

MONDAY VERY WINDY. PARTLY CLOUDY. HOT. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 90S. SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH EARLY IN THE MORNING BECOMING SOUTHWEST AND INCREASING TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 MPH IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON.

I went through F6's, which have maximum wind gusts, back to 1998 and I couldn't find a temp AOA 95 concurrent with a gust of 40 mph.  There were a few instances in which both of those events occurred on the same day but not at the same time (late evening gusty thunderstorms).

Went back to 1980 and still couldn't find one at ORD. There was an ob of 98F with a 35 mph gust on 7/10/1984 so that is similar to what could happen tomorrow. It seems to be an uncommon occurrence to say the least.

FWIW...Sounding off of the 2z RR has ORD close to 38C at 20z. Mixing to above 850mb.

The NAM is also mixing to around/just above 850 mb but the temp profiles don't appear warm enough for triple digits. Will be interesting to watch...purely anectodally speaking it seems like the RR has overshot temps on the really hot days.

Didn't a bunch of people die in the heat wave back in the 90's in Chicago? How warm was it then? Probably not good when ChiTown gets overheated...

Yeah, 1995: 500-600 people died from three days over 100° (100-105) HI: Up to 125° at MDW. Lows in the lower 80s set records as well.

I'm still amazed whenever I see this map

00ZH8J14.JPG

It's just really difficult to get those kind of 850 mb temps in N IL. If there would've been mixing to 850 mb then you would've been looking at readings approaching 110F. I've checked some reanalysis maps from those classic heat waves in the 1930's and some of those days had 850 mb temps of 30C as far east as IL.

The NAM is also mixing to around/just above 850 mb but the temp profiles don't appear warm enough for triple digits. Will be interesting to watch...purely anectodally speaking it seems like the RR has overshot temps on the really hot days.

Indeed.

I'm thinking 96/97 for ORD.

Archived