• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

Regarding fire ants, they IMO are about as painful as wasp stings. I stepped in a mound and had 54 bites - had to be rushed to the hospital. Foil nearly quadrupled in size in about 5 minutes.

a mason jar full of 100 low-lead aviation gas and a lighter will take care of a fire ant hill fairly quickly, it was standard operating procedure on our flight line in mississippi :devilsmiley:

congrats on the job! Relocation is always exciting! :thumbsup:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch out for Brown Recluse, Black Widows spiders, don't freak if you see tarantulas. Snakes: Cottonmouths, Timber Rattlers, Western Diamondbacks, Copperheads, Coral Snakes, Always remember round pupil = non-poisonous, Slit (cat eyed pupil) poisonous

Also water moccasin's. Never leave those bad bous out.

The roaches are scary big, you'll freak out like a little girl when you first see one crawling across your kitchen counter, guaranteed.

Regarding fire ants, they IMO are about as painful as wasp stings. I stepped in a mound and had 54 bites - had to be rushed to the hospital. Foil nearly quadrupled in size in about 5 minutes.

Beware when it rains hard, Houstoj floods very badly. It's a bowl city and water can't escape. Flash flooding is part of life there. Compared to free too no one pays attention to tornado watches (get them all the time) or t-storm warnings.

Also I hope you like baseball, Houstoj and the 'burbs are America's baseball Mecca.

First off, good luck, Potter and hope you find lots of success :)

Second, speaking of water moccasins, I lol at people who think there are water moccasins in PA. I mean, c'mon, people.

a mason jar full of 100 low-lead aviation gas and a lighter will take care of a fire ant hill fairly quickly, it was standard operating procedure on our flight line in mississippi :devilsmiley:

Yup, burning them out's the only effective way of killing a hill. It's good therapy too to watch them burn ...

Congrats on the job man. With where your gonna be at it looks like you'll be keeping an eye on gulf storms of the tropical variety now haha.

First off, good luck, Potter and hope you find lots of success :)

Second, speaking of water moccasins, I lol at people who think there are water moccasins in PA. I mean, c'mon, people.

Thank you guys! It means alot to have support from all my CPA buddies. I promise not to be a stranger. I'm sure I will quite jealous of you guys come winter time, I better see lots of pictures on here! If I have the chance to chase severe wx or capture a nice Hurricane, I will be sure to share the experience. I'm sure I will come home at times throughout the year, especially during the winter time, I'm going to need my fix!

That winter was a dream. I wish....I wish we could see it again.

Feb 5-6th was such a great storm, I wish everyone in our C-pa thread would've been able to get slammed by it. That whole February onslaught was bittersweet for me. A couple weekends before the 5-6th storm I got a high ankle sprain snowboarding on what was at the time not a ton of snow and very icy conditions. So basically when we got the motherload of snow the first couple weeks of February I wasn't able to snowboard in it.

On a current weather related note, weather looks nice and quiet through at least the weekend.

Feb 5-6th was such a great storm, I wish everyone in our C-pa thread would've been able to get slammed by it. That whole February onslaught was bittersweet for me. A couple weekends before the 5-6th storm I got a high ankle sprain snowboarding on what was at the time not a ton of snow and very icy conditions. So basically when we got the motherload of snow the first couple weeks of February I wasn't able to snowboard in it.

On a current weather related note, weather looks nice and quiet through at least the weekend.

That was a great winter but it did screw IPT and NE PA some.

I know it's just one piece of the puzzle and it's WAY out timewise, but the ENSO is looking rather encouraging for a good winter.

Current weather, looks like a mini-heat wave late next week also, but a return to a more cool, wet pattern afterwards.

That was a great winter but it did screw IPT and NE PA some.

I know it's just one piece of the puzzle and it's WAY out timewise, but the ENSO is looking rather encouraging for a good winter.

Current weather, looks like a mini-heat wave late next week also, but a return to a more cool, wet pattern afterwards.

We want a west base ENSO, correct? *I should know this, I always get the west vs. east confused*

Billabong, on top of all the rain, one of the craziest things about Agnes was the fact that sleet was observed in Philipsburg at the end. Elliot Abrams told me about that when I worked at AccuWeather.

Never knew that... interesting. Here are the scanned obs cards from downtown State College if you're interested.

obsp.jpg

Archived