Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Boy I sure hope this is a sign of things to come for this winter.

After our brief heatwave, the Euro has a very odd-for-June storm. Don't know if anyone else saw it. NWS noted it this am:

INTERESTING ECMWF DEVELOPMENT WOULD GIVE US A WIDESPREAD CHILLY

RAIN FOR SUNDAY. STILL FAR OUT IN THE EXTENDED...BUT THE PATTERN

IT IS PAINTING LOOKS LIKE ANYTHING BUT THE FIRST DAYS OF THE

ASTRONOMICAL SUMMER.

But, of course, until then, lots of heat Tue-Thu

After our brief heatwave, the Euro has a very odd-for-June storm. Don't know if anyone else saw it. NWS noted it this am:

INTERESTING ECMWF DEVELOPMENT WOULD GIVE US A WIDESPREAD CHILLY

RAIN FOR SUNDAY. STILL FAR OUT IN THE EXTENDED...BUT THE PATTERN

IT IS PAINTING LOOKS LIKE ANYTHING BUT THE FIRST DAYS OF THE

ASTRONOMICAL SUMMER.

But, of course, until then, lots of heat Tue-Thu

Yeah. Comes down to increased heights through the Davis Strait and CUS.

test8.gif

Wow, 40 years. i was 9 and have very vivid memories of the flooding and destruction in our area.

If you or anyone else is interested, Dr. Jon Nese is working on a 40th anniversary feature on Weather World set to air tomorrow discussing the synoptic setup and flooding (specifically the river flooding on both branches of the Susquehanna and the Schuylkill).

If you or anyone else is interested, Dr. Jon Nese is working on a 40th anniversary feature on Weather World set to air tomorrow discussing the synoptic setup and flooding (specifically the river flooding on both branches of the Susquehanna and the Schuylkill).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to tune in.

Wow, 40 years. i was 9 and have very vivid memories of the flooding and destruction in our area.

- got back to Pa Sunday from OC MD. It was nicer here then down there. Looks pretty overcast right now.

WOW - 40 years, where does the time go.

We lived along the Little Conestoga at the time. Ended up with 54" of water in the basement.

Couple of memories...

- The produce market upstream (Boas) was flooded. My brother waded out and snagged like 10 watermelons plus cantelope. We had quite the feast. Of course now we know how dangerous it was for him doing that plus eating fruit that was floating in who knows what...but hey, we were young.

- Once the water receded, the basement mud was brutal. Probably 2 inches at least and really stank. There was a huge carp flopping around as well! He must have swam in under the garage doors which had floated upward.

- My folks tell me I was thinking we would have to evacuate so I had packed my toys in a pillowcase ready to go. I don't remember that part but it seems they were amused.

- The water rose SO FAST. My dad pulled the old Lincoln out the garage to higher ground with the water already up to the frame. My brother lost a 396 SS Chevelle race car that had the engine pulled for rebuild. Just didn't have the time to push it out.

Anyone else have some Agnes stories to share?

WOW - 40 years, where does the time go.

We lived along the Little Conestoga at the time. Ended up with 54" of water in the basement.

Couple of memories...

- The produce market upstream (Boas) was flooded. My brother waded out and snagged like 10 watermelons plus cantelope. We had quite the feast. Of course now we know how dangerous it was for him doing that plus eating fruit that was floating in who knows what...but hey, we were young.

- Once the water receded, the basement mud was brutal. Probably 2 inches at least and really stank. There was a huge carp flopping around as well! He must have swam in under the garage doors which had floated upward.

- My folks tell me I was thinking we would have to evacuate so I had packed my toys in a pillowcase ready to go. I don't remember that part but it seems they were amused.

- The water rose SO FAST. My dad pulled the old Lincoln out the garage to higher ground with the water already up to the frame. My brother lost a 396 SS Chevelle race car that had the engine pulled for rebuild. Just didn't have the time to push it out.

Anyone else have some Agnes stories to share?

-living across the street from the firehouse it was a flurry of activity. The National gaurd moved into the social hall at the firehouse. Being 9, i still remember the racks of M-16's lined up at the foot of their cots.

- They also set up an emergency shelter at our social hall. I remember my mom making us gather up clothes and whatever else we could take from our closets to give them. To this day, i remember the faces of the people there and seeing the pain on their faces thinking they had just lost everything. I'm told for that reason, is why i try and help people.

- i remember the heavy rains and i was wearing my yellow rain coat and my dads work hard helmet, helping the fireman and other men in town moving hoses and pumps etc to try and keep up with the rising water in peoples basements.

-It was the 1st time i ever rode to a call in a fire truck. I wasn't suppose to, but i just happened to be in the cab going to pump another basment when the alarm came. I'm pretty sure i already knew i wanted to be like my dad, uncle and granfather and be a fireman, but that pretty much sealed the deal!

- If anyone is familar with routes 11 &15 in Enola, At the McDonalds that sits in front of the Summerdale plaza? I remember my father taking us to the highest point (its where Barlups Appliance is now) and looking down, and the railroad was underwater and so was that Mickey D's.

- after the flood waters started to go down, my dad, who knew everyone, was able to get us in places to see. he got us down to front street near Wormleysburg, looking south, and seeing the debris strewn on the road way and yards..

-living across the street from the firehouse it was a flurry of activity. The National gaurd moved into the social hall at the firehouse. Being 9, i still remember the racks of M-16's lined up at the foot of their cots.

- They also set up an emergency shelter at our social hall. I remember my mom making us gather up clothes and whatever else we could take from our closets to give them. To this day, i remember the faces of the people there and seeing the pain on their faces thinking they had just lost everything. I'm told for that reason, is why i try and help people.

- i remember the heavy rains and i was wearing my yellow rain coat and my dads work hard helmet, helping the fireman and other men in town moving hoses and pumps etc to try and keep up with the rising water in peoples basements.

-It was the 1st time i ever rode to a call in a fire truck. I wasn't suppose to, but i just happened to be in the cab going to pump another basment when the alarm came. I'm pretty sure i already knew i wanted to be like my dad, uncle and granfather and be a fireman, but that pretty much sealed the deal!

- If anyone is familar with routes 11 &15 in Enola, At the McDonalds that sits in front of the Summerdale plaza? I remember my father taking us to the highest point (its where Barlups Appliance is now) and looking down, and the railroad was underwater and so was that Mickey D's.

- after the flood waters started to go down, my dad, who knew everyone, was able to get us in places to see. he got us down to front street near Wormleysburg, looking south, and seeing the debris strewn on the road way and yards..

I was five. My memoires include being at my grandmothers due to a family situation, and the police coming down the street with bullhorns telling people that the water was going to be contaminated soon and to fill anything with water. So my grandma fill a bunch of mason jars, etc.

My aunt came over...she opened her basement door and saw water rising. They evacuated her by boat.

I also remember being driven over to my mom's house, and suddenly water came down this one street in West York. My uncle had to figure out how to get to my mom's house due to Kiwanis Lake/Willis Road basically being a roaring river.

The Codorus Creek flooded downtown York pretty bad. Water from the ol' Inky Stinky - YUM!

I was five. My memoires include being at my grandmothers due to a family situation, and the police coming down the street with bullhorns telling people that the water was going to be contaminated soon and to fill anything with water. So my grandma fill a bunch of mason jars, etc.

My aunt came over...she opened her basement door and saw water rising. They evacuated her by boat.

I also remember being driven over to my mom's house, and suddenly water came down this one street in West York. My uncle had to figure out how to get to my mom's house due to Kiwanis Lake/Willis Road basically being a roaring river.

The Codorus Creek flooded downtown York pretty bad. Water from the ol' Inky Stinky - YUM!

Obviously I was not around for Agnes, but my dad was up in Canada on the annual fishing trip when it hit PA. At a time without cell phones and in a place with minimal TV reception, they really didn't know anything was going on until my uncle called his wife from a pay phone to check in and she told him to come home because their basement had taken on several feet of water. They had to take a number of alternate routes home due to the severe flooding. My dad, being a weather nerd, was of course bummed that he missed almost all the fun.

Obviously I was not around for Agnes, but my dad was up in Canada on the annual fishing trip when it hit PA. At a time without cell phones and in a place with minimal TV reception, they really didn't know anything was going on until my uncle called his wife from a pay phone to check in and she told him to come home because their basement had taken on several feet of water. They had to take a number of alternate routes home due to the severe flooding. My dad, being a weather nerd, was of course bummed that he missed almost all the fun.

lol...yeah, I bet he was bummed.

Hope we get some rain tomorrow and next week. Starting to get a bit dry.

It's going to be 95-98 and people are flipping out. WTF. It's summer, it gets hot every year - it is supposed to.

My parents had 49 straight days of 103+ last year, something like 65 in total. Yeah it's hot but you don't need to freak the f out when it's hot for two days and will get back into the 60s in a day or two.

Archived