• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

Lets just say the heat hasn't helped with the smell.

We are getting a bit dry now. Nothing major...yet.

:lol: I certainly don't miss lifting paint at Sherwin-Williams on days like this...nothing like a stifling warehouse and the smell of Fredericksburg!

91.7° here for the high today, my parents hit 96° down there.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another MCS trying to make a run at PA but is starting to make the right turn around the periphery of the high. Looks like maybe the southwestern third of the state may see some shower and thunderstorm activity but we are again out of the best instability. Parameters downstream of the thunderstorms in SE Ohio and WVA are just primed for another high end damaging wind threat over the same folks that got slammed by Fridays derecho. Gotta love us folks being right in that perfect spot where your just far enough away from the monster ridge to remain dry as the ring of fire convection drops to the southwest... but close enough where its still quite hot. At least we're not seeing the absolutely stifling heat that has been residing in the midwest. My uncle in Paducah, KY hit 108 on Friday and was 104 the last two days not to mention right smack in the middle of a D3 drought.

Looks like another peak in temps at the end of the week? Mid 90s fri/sat then back to near 90 Sunday..

Yeah. The jet stream has retreated way North and there looks like there is little hope of it dipping back South over the Eastern third as continuous pieces of energy drop into the GOA and PAC NW.

Occasionally we've been getting enough amplification between the GOA and HB PV's that we get a nice troff dropping into the NE and Mid Atlantic. Yet that is only sustained so long before it and down stream blocking shift ever so slightly to allow the Bermuda and CUS ridge to bridge and bring the heat once again.

Would have to think Don Sutherland has called another one right again when he stated that the June and July heat will likely be the peak heat of the Summer season.

Looks like another peak in temps at the end of the week? Mid 90s fri/sat then back to near 90 Sunday..

Yea that seems to be what the Euro and to a slightly lesser extent the GFS is advertising. They build the ridge up towards toward weeks end introducing 850s of 20-25ºC for a couple days, >576 thickness and 5880 (GFS) to 5920ish (Euro) heights. Pretty much looks like run of the mill heat wave type temps for a couple days 90-95 central and mid 90s in southeast. Doesn't look ridiculous at the moment but a pretty consistent and hot pattern non the less. Heights dampen a bit after the end of the week so perhaps we can cool back nearer to normal. The core of the very hot weather continues to reside over Central and Mountain west states, just a brutal pattern out there.

Additionally, the euro seemed to offer up some half decent precip chances midweek, so hopefully we can at least score some rainfall.

Yea that seems to be what the Euro and to a slightly lesser extent the GFS is advertising. They build the ridge up towards toward weeks end introducing 850s of 20-25ºC for a couple days, >576 thickness and 5880 (GFS) to 5920ish (Euro) heights. Pretty much looks like run of the mill heat wave type temps for a couple days 90-95 central and mid 90s in southeast. Doesn't look ridiculous at the moment but a pretty consistent and hot pattern non the less. Heights dampen a bit after the end of the week so perhaps we can cool back nearer to normal. The core of the very hot weather continues to reside over Central and Mountain west states, just a brutal pattern out there.

Additionally, the euro seemed to offer up some half decent precip chances midweek, so hopefully we can at least score some rainfall.

Impressive Day 3 risk from the SPC: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3otlk.html

Anyone able to help me locate the most consecutive 90+ days for Harrisburg? I looked at CTP's climo site to no avail.

I wasn't able to find what particular summer had the most consecutive days of 90+ for MDT but the PA State Climatologist site has where you can look at the daily summary obs during a selected year (high/low temp, departure from average, QPF, etc). Last years major heat wave in early/mid July had 8 consecutive days of 90+ at MDT. The best year I could find just skipping around a few recent hotter summers was 1999, where MDT ripped off 11 straight days. Perhaps you could contact them to find out what summer has the most.

Anyone around HBG know how I can get rid if a groundhog? It's destroying my garden.

Opi have access to a trap, but no gun and can't put in my car to take into the country really.

I'll pay someone good money for help.

Does your car have a trunk? That's what I do - trap and move.

Repellents have limited value. Unless you can get someone to shoot it, trap and move is your best bet. Next best is a fence.

Yeah, they lie.

Being a freshman undergrad spending the summer up here in Penn State, they say that these 4th of July fireworks are ranked one of the top 5 in the country. Can't wait to see them!

It's a nice display, but there's something like 3,394 places that claim to have "one of the biggest fireworks displays in the country" every July 4.

Anyone around HBG know how I can get rid if a groundhog? It's destroying my garden.

Opi have access to a trap, but no gun and can't put in my car to take into the country really.

I'll pay someone good money for help.

here ya go

Nuisance Wildlife

Cumberland County, Pennsylvania

403 4th st, P.O. Box 179, Summerdale, PA 17093

Phone: (717) 732-8099

Archived