• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

Does your car have a trunk? That's what I do - trap and move.

Repellents have limited value. Unless you can get someone to shoot it, trap and move is your best bet. Next best is a fence.

Have a Rav4, don't really want this nasty thing n my all-one-capsule car.

No fence really is an option because the property layout. Places are asking $360!!! to trap abd move. I can get a trap, will gladly pay someone to haul it wherever themselves.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a .9mm pistol, but yeah in the city and all ...

Just make sure you are firing in a safe direction and at a safe backdrop (dirt not rock or concrete)

If somebody actually calls the cops on one shot, tell the police you didn't hear anything and mention that the person that called it in was in Phil Haven a couple times.

Wow we might hit 100 Saturday. This heat wave has been something else.

Thats good, the heat can stay up north! I like being underneath the death ridge, get that nice east flow off the gulf :) I must say, it has been decent weather since I have been down here and hopefully it stays that way! I could do without the 75F dew points uggghh, but temps only reaching 93F has been wonderful. Haha listen to me, only 93 :arrowhead: I'm already turning Texan lol.

Anyone able to help me locate the most consecutive 90+ days for Harrisburg? I looked at CTP's climo site to no avail.

I wasn't able to find what particular summer had the most consecutive days of 90+ for MDT but the PA State Climatologist site has where you can look at the daily summary obs during a selected year (high/low temp, departure from average, QPF, etc). Last years major heat wave in early/mid July had 8 consecutive days of 90+ at MDT. The best year I could find just skipping around a few recent hotter summers was 1999, where MDT ripped off 11 straight days. Perhaps you could contact them to find out what summer has the most.

not 100% sure my findings are completely accurate but here is what I have found... Since the official reporting location for harrisburg has changed a number of times over the years... I looked at some of Middletown (MDT) and Capital City (CXY) airports data...

longest streak I could find was Aug-Sept 1953 at MDT with 12 days

Longest at CXY was 11 in July of 1991

Other notable streaks at MDT are 11 days in July 1993 and July 1999, July 1955 had 14 of 15 days reach 90+

Other notable streaks at CXY are Aug-Sept 1953 with 10 of 11 at 90+ but one day of missing max temperature, July 1988 also had 14 of 15 days at 90+, the summer of 1966 was just flat out hot

current streak at MDT has 3 days where max hit 89 degrees but CXY has reported 90+ for 8 straight days with today and tomorrow more than likely pushing that to 10... Timing of frontal system Sunday could push streak to 11 or end it at 10... I dont see Monday reaching 90 so heat wave should officially end

Had two really nice largemouth throw me yesterday. Was so pissed.

Lots of stares as I erupted in a rush of turretes like profanity.

I've caught five 20"+ largemouths. I caught a 23" largemouth at Pinchot State Park back in 1989, on a really hot day in early July, weekend after the fourth. Then, I hooked another. This one was bigger, a fair amount bigger. I am talking close to a state record, if not a state record.

I got the damn thing about five feet away after fighting it for about a half hour, then he shook his head, and I lost him. I actually sat there in the grass and stared for what seemed like hours.

I've caught five 20"+ largemouths. I caught a 23" largemouth at Pinchot State Park back in 1989, on a really hot day in early July, weekend after the fourth. Then, I hooked another. This one was bigger, a fair amount bigger. I am talking close to a state record, if not a state record.

I got the damn thing about five feet away after fighting it for about a half hour, then he shook his head, and I lost him. I actually sat there in the grass and stared for what seemed like hours.

Ah poo.

I don't think these were that big, but they would have pushed my personal record of 18" 4.6 lbs.

Has the weather still been dry in PA? hopefully you guys can get a decent front to push through soon.

In Centre County we've had around 1-1.5" in the past 30 days, and pretty much nothing in the past 10-12 days, so yeah, drying out quickly. SWPA has been more fortunate, cashing in on some more frequent storms.

Ah poo.

I don't think these were that big, but they would have pushed my personal record of 18" 4.6 lbs.

i am addicted to bass fishing as well..these are me and my sons personal bests.

not monsters but maybe someday we will get that big one...

tough fishing today and im crispy and sore..too hot!!!

post-803-0-71273400-1341621882_thumb.jpg

post-803-0-08512800-1341621910_thumb.jpg

i am addicted to bass fishing as well..these are me and my sons personal bests.

not monsters but maybe someday we will get that big one...

tough fishing today and im crispy and sore..too hot!!!

Great fish and great photos!

May be the light but that is an interesting color phase on the one your boy is holding.

In other news ,,,, really like the wind damage potential for you PA guys today. Hail threat looks pretty blah IMO, with a heavy column and thermal profile yielding a VOTD of 69 g/m2 on the 21z UNV NAM sounding. Wind damage threat on the other hand looks very real ... with the potential for good cold pool production and instability and low SR level winds setting up to provide good lift along gust fronts/cold pools. I could see multiple clusters ... possibly merging into a more broken line ... producing scattered wind damage across PA this afternoon/evening.

Great fish and great photos!

May be the light but that is an interesting color phase on the one your boy is holding.

it was prob the light or the camera(cell phone)

Nice fish! My personal best is a 17.2 lb. largemouth. Pulled out of Lake Fork in East Texas, where many of the biggest bass are (many 20+ lbers.) I miss fishing.

a17 lb bass would be fun..

heck thats 6lbs heavier or so than our state record.

What lake are those out of?

curwensville

Nice fish! My personal best is a 17.2 lb. largemouth. Pulled out of Lake Fork in East Texas, where many of the biggest bass are (many 20+ lbers.) I miss fishing.

Damn. Those bass in warm water have more opportunity to grow. 5.2 pounds off the world record.

The world record lasted for 77 years at 22.4 pounds until a guy tied it - that bass was caught in Japan!

In other news ,,,, really like the wind damage potential for you PA guys today. Hail threat looks pretty blah IMO, with a heavy column and thermal profile yielding a VOTD of 69 g/m2 on the 21z UNV NAM sounding. Wind damage threat on the other hand looks very real ... with the potential for good cold pool production and instability and low SR level winds setting up to provide good lift along gust fronts/cold pools. I could see multiple clusters ... possibly merging into a more broken line ... producing scattered wind damage across PA this afternoon/evening.

Thanks - more tonight in central pa, right?

MAG, Thoughts on the severe probs. for C and SE pa. tonight?

MCD has been out for the rest of central PA near i-80 and above to join in on the severe thunderstorm watch that is currently in effect from about IPT northeast. *Now issued

The bulk of the severe threat looks to stay i'd say from US 22 (I-78) and north, barring an organized line/MCS developing.. which is in the realm of possibility. Anything that makes it further southeast is going to have trouble maintaining itself. As per mesoanalysis the SE is currently pretty well capped with much lower CAPE (as well as CIN present) and an area of weak LI. This is due to the ridiculously warm air aloft, which is helping enhance the very hot temperatures at the surface. Big time CAPEs in excess of 4000 J/KG reside in the west central and the presence of some shear/helicity lends to the potential of some scattered supercells. Any supercells that form are likely going to be in the northern half of the state. Wind is going to be the biggest threat today, and alot of the storm modes (clusters, lines, scattered supercells) are fair game. EHI's are pretty low but existent, so can't rule out the possibility for any supercell that develops to drop a weak tornado.

Archived