Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's going to be 95-98 and people are flipping out. WTF. It's summer, it gets hot every year - it is supposed to.

My parents had 49 straight days of 103+ last year, something like 65 in total. Yeah it's hot but you don't need to freak the f out when it's hot for two days and will get back into the 60s in a day or two.

when its 95 and my beer is 33, mmmmm

It's going to be 95-98 and people are flipping out. WTF. It's summer, it gets hot every year - it is supposed to.

My parents had 49 straight days of 103+ last year, something like 65 in total. Yeah it's hot but you don't need to freak the f out when it's hot for two days and will get back into the 60s in a day or two.

Imagine them trying to make it for just a week in La & TX :lol:

WOW - 40 years, where does the time go.

We lived along the Little Conestoga at the time. Ended up with 54" of water in the basement.

Couple of memories...

- The produce market upstream (Boas) was flooded. My brother waded out and snagged like 10 watermelons plus cantelope. We had quite the feast. Of course now we know how dangerous it was for him doing that plus eating fruit that was floating in who knows what...but hey, we were young.

- Once the water receded, the basement mud was brutal. Probably 2 inches at least and really stank. There was a huge carp flopping around as well! He must have swam in under the garage doors which had floated upward.

- My folks tell me I was thinking we would have to evacuate so I had packed my toys in a pillowcase ready to go. I don't remember that part but it seems they were amused.

- The water rose SO FAST. My dad pulled the old Lincoln out the garage to higher ground with the water already up to the frame. My brother lost a 396 SS Chevelle race car that had the engine pulled for rebuild. Just didn't have the time to push it out.

Anyone else have some Agnes stories to share?

thanks for sharing! I have a rough idea of where you grew up. Boas' is in a pretty poor location, isn't it? I remember touring Safe Harbor hydro when I was in Boy Scouts. They have the Agnes high water level painted 20-30' up on a wall in the main generator room.

lol...yeah, I bet he was bummed.

Hope we get some rain tomorrow and next week. Starting to get a bit dry.

Agree. I was out watering the flowerbeds at 1 am last night. Things were starting to wilt when I left for work yesterday afternoon, so I came home and gave everything a good soaking. So far, so good today.

thanks for sharing! I have a rough idea of where you grew up. Boas' is in a pretty poor location, isn't it? I remember touring Safe Harbor hydro when I was in Boy Scouts. They have the Agnes high water level painted 20-30' up on a wall in the main generator room.

Agree. I was out watering the flowerbeds at 1 am last night. Things were starting to wilt when I left for work yesterday afternoon, so I came home and gave everything a good soaking. So far, so good today.

Yeah, we watered heavy last night too. As hot as it is, probably hit them again tonight.

Softball practice should be interesting this afternoon.

Imagine them trying to make it for just a week in La & TX :lol:

Yeah this weather has actually been good conditioning for me, haha gotta get acclimated to the furnace temps :fever::frostymelt:

Eh...I feel the same about southern transplants who whine up here when it gets to 40. They seem to forget that in the summer when they are laughing at people complaining about heat. It's fun to remind them.

Eh...I feel the same about southern transplants who whine up here when it gets to 40. They seem to forget that in the summer when they are laughing at people complaining about heat. It's fun to remind them.

funny related story. All relatives on my moms side are from the south. After my dad passed away, my aunt and uncle would come visit my mom a week at a time in the summer. One year my aunt thought it would be nice to come for a week in the winter in hopes of seeing a snow storm over 3" (biggest she ever saw) the year................................1996.

She couldn't wait to get the hell out of Pa. and their trip lasted a lot longer..

funny related story. All relatives on my moms side are from the south. After my dad passed away, my aunt and uncle would come visit my mom a week at a time in the summer. One year my aunt thought it would be nice to come for a week in the winter in hopes of seeing a snow storm over 3" (biggest she ever saw) the year................................1996.

She couldn't wait to get the hell out of Pa. and their trip lasted a lot longer..

lol....careful what you wish for.

One observation I've made around campus - I can tell the foreign students from warm climates. They are the folks who have scarves, etc. wrapped around their face and all you see are two very, very freaked out looking eyes.

Not sure if you guys have seen, but the MARFC has been doing a day by day thing for the 40th Anniversary of Agnes. I especially like the daily satellite images they have for each day. I've never seen Agnes imagery as it was on the approach. It was a certainly a pretty mean looking storm coming up the East Coast.

June 20th entry:

post-1507-0-88695300-1340324986_thumb.jp

Yeah, I don't know where in TX your family is but go check out the tropical threads on it. Looks pretty legit.

I didn't recognize the abbreviation.

My brother lives on the coast near Galveston (Baytown). His home was destroyed in Ike and had the roof ripped off in Rita. That area was devestated and no one even knew it because the media ignored it completely. Go figure, huh?

I didn't recognize the abbreviation.

My brother lives on the coast near Galveston (Baytown). His home was destroyed in Ike and had the roof ripped off in Rita. That area was devestated and no one even knew it because the media ignored it completely. Go figure, huh?

Wow, Baytown. The media coverage there actually was pretty heavy because they got hit so hard. I remember some CNN reporter walking on that highway, I think 124, full of boats. And the refinery took such a bad hit, plus if I remember correctly one side of town was flooded especially bad.

Has he recovered yet?

The other thing that I remember from that is that moronic Galveston mayor telling people that Ike wasn't going to be that big of a deal due to weather forecasters always being wrong. Talk about negligence through stupidity. Rescuers had to do a lot of last minute rescues due to her, although I can't work up a helluva lot of respect nor sympathy for anyone who ignores weather warnings.

He and his family (includung 4-month old son) were stuck on I-45 for 60 hours leaving Ike. He will never evacuate again, ever. His boat was one if those you saw off 124, it was on top of a storage unit place.

Yeah they built a new house in Pearland, a bit away from the water.

Ike was worse than Katrina by a mile, devestated far more people. But yeah.

He and his family (includung 4-month old son) were stuck on I-45 for 60 hours leaving Ike. He will never evacuate again, ever. His boat was one if those you saw off 124, it was on top of a storage unit place.

Yeah they built a new house in Pearland, a bit away from the water.

Ike was worse than Katrina by a mile, devestated far more people. But yeah.

Ike was certainly a good example at how the Saffir Simpson scale is not necessarily the defining measure of how devastating a hurricane can be. After Ike emerged in the Gulf, it was a fairly low category 2 in terms of winds, but maintained a really low 945-955ish pressure until landfall. Instead of a tightly wound small hurricane that would've made for at least cat 4 winds but a smaller impact area .. you had a ridiculously large hurricane with associated wind field that was able to move a ton of water and also make an impact wind wise deep into the US. I always like the example of the classic buzzsaw that was Hurricane Andrew where you look at downtown Miamis archived obs and see the gusts to 120mph but with the lowest pressure coming in at 992mbs. So your talking a roughly 75mb pressure drop from Miami to Homestead. Ike was just a freak of nature in its own right with the widespread devastation it caused along the Gulf Coast and its ability to maintain very strong damaging winds all the way up through western PA.

Archived