• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

Time for a new thread it looks like.

Lots of small storms popping up around the area today...I can hear decent thunder from the one north of State College at the moment. Anyone seeing any hail from these?

This appears to be the last day under the influence of the upper low that has plagued us for the entire week...on to summer-like weather.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No hail but a little thunder and wind gusts with decent rain about 30 minutes ago, now just light rain.

I'll miss this week's weather.

Yeah, i went home and started mowing. i had my music cranked up, couldn't hear the thunder. My wife came out when she gets home and points to the sky, i shrugged, the sun was nice and bright....i made another pass and she is still standing on the patio laughing, pointing north......it was a race to the shed!

Have fun up in the Pocono's! Should be a good race, too bad the weather is going to suck. I'm missing that NAO block already :(

For some of us the weather is going to be awesome...I'm hoping for 90° today. Let's just save NAO blocking for late November on.

Guys, you will NEVER hear me complain about PA heat ever again. I just wanted to say, if I'm not posting on the CPA side of the forums, it is because I'm moving to Texas for a job. I don't leave until July 5th, so I should be around here untl then, but I will be sure to check in from time to time, especially come winter time, I'M GOING TO MISS IT! Hopefully I get at least one snow event in Houston while I'm there hahaha that will be another thing, after this adventure, I will probably never complain about 2-4" events ever again :) Nothing like a little relocation to put certain weather events into perspective, I'm sure it will humble me up on the weather side.

Guys, you will NEVER hear me complain about PA heat ever again. I just wanted to say, if I'm not posting on the CPA side of the forums, it is because I'm moving to Texas for a job. I don't leave until July 5th, so I should be around here untl then, but I will be sure to check in from time to time, especially come winter time, I'M GOING TO MISS IT! Hopefully I get at least one snow event in Houston while I'm there hahaha that will be another thing, after this adventure, I will probably never complain about 2-4" events ever again :) Nothing like a little relocation to put certain weather events into perspective, I'm sure it will humble me up on the weather side.

Good Luck!! You don't know what hot is yet. hehehehe

As a native Texan who was born and lived there 25 years and eagerly waits the time to move back, I say howdy! Where are you loping more specifically, I will help in any way possible.

Prepare for a miserable summer of oppressive humidity and temps 95+. In winter the chance if you seeing accumulating snow is around 5 percent, I'd say. Houston gets accumulating snow probably once every -5 years if that.

What you will witness is real rain - people in PA don't know what heavy rain is, trust me. You too will experience this phenomenon.

Congrats! What field do you work in...the energy sector?

Congrats! Best wishes to ya.

yes good luck to you down in the lone star state.

i used to live in poth texas as a kid and remember the pool water would get so hot you couldnt get in it.

im sure you will still check in here with some interest during the winter months to see how your c-pa buddies are enjoying or complaining about the snow or lack of snow : )

Congrats! What field do you work in...the energy sector?

Congrats! Best wishes to ya.

Thanks Guys!! means alot from all my CPA friends. I will guarantee I won't stray to far away from the CPA thread, especially during winter! and Eskimo Joe, Yes it is in the energy sector. I will be working for Schlumberger.

yes good luck to you down in the lone star state.

i used to live in poth texas as a kid and remember the pool water would get so hot you couldnt get in it.

im sure you will still check in here with some interest during the winter months to see how your c-pa buddies are enjoying or complaining about the snow or lack of snow : )

Thanks Mike! I'm sure I will be hugging my AC like I hug the GFS model during winter :) I will be sure to def check in during the winter months. I do plan on coming home every once in a while throughout the year, so I won't be a complete stranger. I know right! I'm sure after experiencing a winter in Houston, once I come home, I will be counting individual flakes like it was my job. I will keep you guys up to date every so often, heck maybe I can get a few tornado shots.

As a native Texan who was born and lived there 25 years and eagerly waits the time to move back, I say howdy! Where are you loping more specifically, I will help in any way possible.

Prepare for a miserable summer of oppressive humidity and temps 95+. In winter the chance if you seeing accumulating snow is around 5 percent, I'd say. Houston gets accumulating snow probably once every -5 years if that.

What you will witness is real rain - people in PA don't know what heavy rain is, trust me. You too will experience this phenomenon.

I don't know how you did it Chris! I was down there just for a few days at the end of May for my interviews and the heat was like hitting a brick wall. I really really really hope they don't have a summer like last year with multiple days in a row above 100F. I'm really upset I'm moving to a place where the snow goes to die :( Hopefully when I'm home for the hollidays, I can manage to score a few flakes. Like I said, after living through a winter in Houston, I don't think I will ever complain about dusting type events. I know already what you mean about the heavy nature of the rain, I got a chance to witness a t-storm and PA has nothing on that, haha and by Texas standards wasn't a very strong one. I've never seen a tornado in my life, I'm really hoping I get a chance to chase one while I'm out there. I wish I could of been there for Hurricane Ike. I will keep you posted and will let you know if there is anything you can give me advice on!

Don't get freaked out when you see your first waterbug (aka cockroach), red wasp the size of a 747 and mosquito's as big as a house. Also, don't mess with fire ant mounds.

Cockroachs don't scare me to much or wasps. I'm more worried about the fire ants, because I've heard they are bad. Is there any poisonous snakes I should look out for. Lol that is one good think about Northern Potter county, there isn't any animal that could kill me with poison. We don't have any timber rattlesnakes where I live either, and I hate snakes, but I worry more about poisonous spiders because they are sneaky and are hard to look out for, snakes are pretty obvious to avoid.

Congrats on the job man. With where your gonna be at it looks like you'll be keeping an eye on gulf storms of the tropical variety now haha.

Also water moccasin's. Never leave those bad bous out.

The roaches are scary big, you'll freak out like a little girl when you first see one crawling across your kitchen counter, guaranteed.

Regarding fire ants, they IMO are about as painful as wasp stings. I stepped in a mound and had 54 bites - had to be rushed to the hospital. Foil nearly quadrupled in size in about 5 minutes.

Beware when it rains hard, Houstoj floods very badly. It's a bowl city and water can't escape. Flash flooding is part of life there. Compared to free too no one pays attention to tornado watches (get them all the time) or t-storm warnings.

Also I hope you like baseball, Houstoj and the 'burbs are America's baseball Mecca.

Archived