Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA Thread - Summer 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy it while it lasts. Euro is pretty aggressive with the heat for Friday into the weekend as the upper ridge builds in. 25°C at 850mb would mean surface temps in the 90s with dew points in the low 70s.

yeah, i was just looking a the weather for Friday and Saturday, seems like another hot weekend for softball. Saturday looks like to hottest of the 2 days. having said that, not as bad as last week!

In other words, enjoy Texas Potter!!!!!!!

And it's not even August yet...lmao

Oh, Potter you also need to bone up on your Gary P. Nunn and Jerry Jeff Walker. Also, don't let them boys with Schlumberger send you after the left-handed monkey wrench.

I know guys, don't rub the texas heat in!!, ughh I better adapt quickly down there. I leave Friday so hopefully I avoid the extreme of the heat for now. And lol Irving, I will try not to let the Schlumberger crew give me the run around!

Is it ever going to rain in Harrisburg again? Hasn't rained at my house in 2.5 weeks now if I'm adding correctly.

I remember you missed the storms on the 22nd. Been very hit or miss lately. MDT got 1.25 on the 22nd, LNS got .04 and you and I got nada. I did get a .35 by luck early Mon morning.

Looks like the last decent day this week before the heat makes its charge into our neck of the woods. Could be some MCS fun tomorrow night as well.

I really hope so, we really need the rain. My local river is running below the 25th percentile in stream height as well as discharge. And lol ignore my rain icon, haha thats KBFD, it doesn't rain in potterland lol.

In regards to the heat, don't look now but the ridge of death in the mid-west looks to set up in the longer range. Someone is going to consistantly bake in 100F+ for days if that sets up at the right time. I think the extreme heat will be slightly further west compared to places last year that saw the heat.

MAG, thoughts on the nocturnal storms for Central and SE Pa for the overnight hrs.

We have destabilized a good bit in the last several hours this afternoon as the warm sector has pushed into PA bringing decent CAPE's, higher PWATs and very high mid level lapse rates. I'd watch southeast Michigan/Southernmost Ontario into NE Ohio and NW PA just off the Lake as potential firing points for anything noteworthy that decides to form. If an MCS does in fact form in the next couple hours, it is likely to maintain itself half decently through most of PA, especially the western 1/2 to 2/3rds. Storm motion is likely to be a pretty steep SE or SSE trajectory so the folks in the farther east may have the potential line of storms drop down just to the west. The instability is there, it remains to be seen how effectively anything gets triggered. I don't expect widespread severe issues, but likely a couple wind reports here and there. But again.. that's if we get thunderstorms to actually develop.

Interesting.

Thought it would have dispersed by the time it reached us.

It is pretty wild.. There's a lot of big fires cranking in Wyoming and Colorado. Heres a neat image from NASA that was taken this morning. The plumes that were really visible on that image this morning are ones from fires in Wyoming.

post-1507-0-38063400-1340932836_thumb.jp

I was watching the Colorado Springs Waldo Canyon fire on the Gr2Analyst the other night after thunderstorm outflow boundaries whipped it into a huge fire and sent over into the suburbs. The plume the radar was picking up (from 3,500 ft agl and up) was spiking up over 50dbz at times.

We have destabilized a good bit in the last several hours this afternoon as the warm sector has pushed into PA bringing decent CAPE's, higher PWATs and very high mid level lapse rates. I'd watch southeast Michigan/Southernmost Ontario into NE Ohio and NW PA just off the Lake as potential firing points for anything noteworthy that decides to form. If an MCS does in fact form in the next couple hours, it is likely to maintain itself half decently through most of PA, especially the western 1/2 to 2/3rds. Storm motion is likely to be a pretty steep SE or SSE trajectory so the folks in the farther east may have the potential line of storms drop down just to the west. The instability is there, it remains to be seen how effectively anything gets triggered. I don't expect widespread severe issues, but likely a couple wind reports here and there. But again.. that's if we get thunderstorms to actually develop.

We could use the rain. It appears like the NAM is leaning toward Saturday as the best chance for rain.

Crap, looks like they're diving SE...

Yea they actually are not dropping south as sharply as I thought they were going to but the cluster of storms is not overly big. They've occasionally had some nice hail signatures and echo tops have been 50k feet+ as well. The one cells trying to make a run at Potter but otherwise it looks like the best candidates for this so far are 2001kx, Jamie and PennMan.

Yea they actually are not dropping south as sharply as I thought they were going to but the cluster of storms is not overly big. They've occasionally had some nice hail signatures and echo tops have been 50k feet+ as well. The one cells trying to make a run at Potter but otherwise it looks like the best candidates for this so far are 2001kx, Jamie and PennMan.

ehhh...i will take the rain but not the storms.

my house is 15ft. from the woodline..everytime it storms i pray one of the huge trees dont come down on the house.

ehhh...i will take the rain but not the storms.

my house is 15ft. from the woodline..everytime it storms i pray one of the huge trees dont come down on the house.

By the looks of velocity you should be getting the edge of the gust front pretty shortly if not now. Also appears to be possible 1 inch hail by the looks of the VIL product just west of town.

post-1507-0-88683800-1340950651_thumb.pn

Pretty neat, starting to get a nw breeze off of these storms and temps have shot up several degrees. Lots of lightning also. 2001kx let me know how that storm was, it looked like a pretty decent one for you.

it was pretty nasty for 15 mins or so.

very windy and lots of lightning...no trees down around my place as far as i can see.

Archived