CFS Long Range (as in Winter)

mitchnick

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hating the CFS2 precip forecasts of late

extremely dry centered right over DCA/BWI

always sumtin' around here when hoping for snow

I always like to put our winter precip in perspective. We average over 14" of precip from Dec-Mar. Only 2" of that needs to be snow to hit climo just about everywhere. Only 14% or less of our climo winter precip is snow on average.

The models are always right 6 months out in time.

I wouldn't have posted about it except weak NINOs around here are NOT known for their precip, though they are traditionally colder than average

and considering many of the LR Enso models are weakening the NINO from forecasts a few months ago, it's a reasonable concern

and if we can't discuss what LR models are currently depicting around here because they'll change, why even have them?....or maybe the mods should just delete threads/posts concerning them?

What's more risky....getting cold and waiting for the precip or getting wet waiting for the cold....I prefer to get the cold first and take my chances.....assuming the cold is sustaining and the storm track doesn't go West when it does get wet....lol

What's more risky....getting cold and waiting for the precip or getting wet waiting for the cold....I prefer to get the cold first and take my chances.....assuming the cold is sustaining and the storm track doesn't go West when it does get wet....lol

Cold dry and warm wet is always a risk around here. All things equal I will take the cold and hope for moisture. At least that feels more seasonal and what falls will hang around.

Cold dry and warm wet is always a risk around here. All things equal I will take the cold and hope for moisture. At least that feels more seasonal and what falls will hang around.

What's funny is that I think normal in January isn't cold enough for snow here

I wouldn't have posted about it except weak NINOs around here are NOT known for their precip, though they are traditionally colder than average

and considering many of the LR Enso models are weakening the NINO from forecasts a few months ago, it's a reasonable concern

and if we can't discuss what LR models are currently depicting around here because they'll change, why even have them?....or maybe the mods should just delete threads/posts concerning them?

It is likely to change multiple times between now and then, so no need to fret over the models... just fret over the climo.

LR models are a tool... they are not meant to be read verbatim, ESPECIALLY the CFS/CFS2 (I would at least take the ECM output over that, if anything).

I do wish the mods would delete some of the crap in these threads, but simply making a bad post isn't usually a good enough reason for the mods to delete it, especially considering the current status of the thread/forum (off-season topic and kind of quiet in the Mid-Atlantic).

In the end, it's still August, so why worry about it now? Worry about snow when it's time to worry about it... in winter. I don't know why you would have any need to be concerned over all of the changes the LR models are showing at this time. You've got ENSO, PDO, AMO, QBO, etc. correlations that, when put together and supplemented with analog years, will give you a much better idea of what is most likely compared to some ever-changing model output. You should rely much more on the thoughts of the vetted LR forecasters (mets and non-mets alike) than changes in the LR model output at this range. LR forecasters' thoughts on this upcoming winter have been fairly well hashed-out within the forum, and that's basically all you really need until we get close to winter. There's no need to keep going back to the models to check their winter updates when we're this far out.

It is likely to change multiple times between now and then, so no need to fret over the models... just fret over the climo.

LR models are a tool... they are not meant to be read verbatim, ESPECIALLY the CFS/CFS2 (I would at least take the ECM output over that, if anything).

I do wish the mods would delete some of the crap in these threads, but simply making a bad post isn't usually a good enough reason for the mods to delete it, especially considering the current status of the thread/forum (off-season topic and kind of quiet in the Mid-Atlantic).

In the end, it's still August, so why worry about it now? Worry about snow when it's time to worry about it... in winter. I don't know why you would have any need to be concerned over all of the changes the LR models are showing at this time. You've got ENSO, PDO, AMO, QBO, etc. correlations that, when put together and supplemented with analog years, will give you a much better idea of what is most likely compared to some ever-changing model output. You should rely much more on the thoughts of the vetted LR forecasters (mets and non-mets alike) than changes in the LR model output at this range. LR forecasters' thoughts on this upcoming winter have been fairly well hashed-out within the forum, and that's basically all you really need until we get close to winter. There's no need to keep going back to the models to check their winter updates when we're this far out.

The mods should delete your post since it is kind of pointless.

because it is a free country, although "barely", I'll talk and fret about LR winter models all I want regardless of the date thank you

it's like you keep forgetting this is not a Board exclusively for mets or people interested in changing careers to become one

what you may have not considered is that since the LR models obviously consider all those indices in their physics I, who really doesn't care about the minutia or I would have had a career in meteo, can pull up a LR model map. weigh it against climo and discuss what it says; and in light of LR forecasts put out by people in the past using the correlation method, my method is no less accurate this far out

Lol....I know those are climo for a weak nino in the early season but man....there aren't any storm tracks that get much uglier than that for our area....yeesh.

Well, I'm not trying to bash zwyts by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I've observed so far from the other mets on these forums, he is by far, one of the most pessimistic about the upcoming winter.

The others aren't overly excited about this Winter, but quite a bit more optimistic, we'll say.

Well, I'm not trying to bash zwyts by any stretch of the imagination, but from what I've observed so far from the other mets on these forums, he is by far, one of the most pessimistic about the upcoming winter.

The others aren't overly excited about this Winter, but quite a bit more optimistic, we'll say.

Careful....a lot of those mets are from up North

I don't think zwts is being pessimistic at all. He's accurately reporting a likely outcome based on the early signals. There's plenty up in the air this winter and I don't think anybody is calling for a bustola.

We'll get some cold and snow. 100% sure it will be better than last year...

I don't think zwts is being pessimistic at all. He's accurately reporting a likely outcome based on the early signals. There's plenty up in the air this winter and I don't think anybody is calling for a bustola.

We'll get some cold and snow. 100% sure it will be better than last year...

Careful, Bob. I think a lot of people were saying the same thing in 2011.

Careful, Bob. I think a lot of people were saying the same thing in 2011.

lol

The only thing that could make this winter worse than last is if we were to be cold and dry rather than warm and dry.

Disagreed. I'm not sure it's even possible for any cold winter to be as void of any snow as 11-12.

Archived