• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Beryl now TD; Landfall 70 mph Jax Bch 12:10 AM 5/28.; TS warnings lifted for S SC to NE FL

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The IR imagery is interesting for three reasons:

* The system looks well-organized.

* The "eye" is quite large and almost Wilma-esque.

* The convection is rather tepid. There's just this paucity of cold cloud tops.

The cyclone looks much better on radar.

The Wilma reference is interesting in that on radar the COC is quite cavernous as was Wilma's giant eye. We all know Wilma was a spin down from a classic monster at one point though and had momentum to work with.

Jax has a truly massive tree canopy consisting of mainly 3 types of oaks, red maples, cypress (both pond and bald), slash and longleaf pine, and magnolias. Palm trees are everywhere as expected, but Jax's 2nd biggest asset, urban forest, is its biggest threat.

I assumed it was like Orlando or West palm

The Jacksonville Beach reading of 46 kt gusting to 59 is pretty good. Not too shabby.

If this were hitting LI or New Englan...you'd be poo-pooing every 60+kt gust report coming in you latitude snob(j/k)

As Don S commented, the post analysis of this will be interesting. 12 more hours over water woulda been solid cane..

If this were hitting LI or New Englan...you'd be poo-pooing every 60+kt gust report coming in you latitude snob(j/k)

As Don S commented, the post analysis of this will be interesting. 12 more hours over water woulda been solid cane..

Or if it wasn't May. :P

The NHC's handling of these borderline systems is mysterious. There were plenty of 80-85 kt radar obs around 1.5-2 km earlier, which would support a cat 1. Recon winds seemed strong enough too. I think they're biased towards calling this a tropical storm since there's been no hurricane warnings. If there were hurricane warnings they probably would've upgraded it around 5 pm.

:lmao:

C'mon. I'm not like that. :D

P.S. I wouldn't be shocked to see a posthumous upgrade, like Cindy 2005, once they can really sit down and analyze the data. I'm not saying they're going to or should-- just that it was close enough that it wouldn't be shocking. The 80 kt at flight level was interesting.

In terms of those 80kt flight level winds found per tpc the actual surface winds beneath the airplane were only about 50 kt, well below hurricane strength. On average, 80 kt at 850 mb would correspond to about 65 kt at the surface. But not all storms have the "average" structure. Some have surface to flight-level wind ratios that are higher than average, some are lower than average.

The NHC's handling of these borderline systems is mysterious. There were plenty of 80-85 kt radar obs around 1.5-2 km earlier, which would support a cat 1. Recon winds seemed strong enough too. I think they're biased towards calling this a tropical storm since there's been no hurricane warnings. If there were hurricane warnings they probably would've upgraded it around 5 pm.

What about Humberto 2007? That one was upgraded right as it came ashore, and I don't think there were 'cane warnings until just around that time.

I agree with you, the data sure are suggestive. It certainly wouldn't be an outlandish move if they did upgrade it.

What about Humberto 2007? That one was upgraded right as it came ashore, and I don't think there were 'cane warnings until just around that time.

I agree with you, the data sure are suggestive. It certainly wouldn't be an outlandish move if they did upgrade it.

Humberto seems to be the exception, as far as the NHC deciding on whether or not to pull the 'cane trigger for a system at landfall. I think Humberto was also unusual in that it was plainly obvious it was strengthening even beyond the 60/65kt borderline area.

Cases in the past 10 years where the NHC did *not* upgrade 60kt TSs approaching land to hurricanes operationally (rightly or wrongly):

Barry 2001 (FL)

Chantal 2001 (Belize)

Gabrielle 2001 (FL)

Erika 2003 (MX -- upgraded post-analysis)

Gaston 2004 (SC -- upgraded post-analysis)

Cindy 2005 (LA -- upgraded post-analysis)

Ernesto 2006 (NC)

Hanna 2008 (NC)

Beryl 2012 (FL)

Other than Humberto, the only other case I can think of in recent times when the NHC made a last-minute upgrade to 'cane status is Ida 2009 (Nicaragua). So I guess it happens, but it's not nearly as common as holding back.

Yup, and it was quite a run of years in a row- Erika '03, Gaston '04, Cindy '05, and Ernesto '06 where the NHC had to decide whether to upgrade after the fact. Just reading over those reports, it's still almost a coin-toss which way Ernesto should have gone given the wording of the report.

Here in Savannah some 100 or so miles to the north, an outer feeder band just passed through moving NW. This was the first rain I saw all day.

The rain started off as quite heavy and was accompanied by very gusty winds. It reminded me of a squall line, but it came in from the SE as opposed to a real squall line, which usually comes in with an easterly component of motion, and there was no lightning.

There were several thousand power outages here today, including a nearly 12 hour long one at my bro's.

Hurricane or not, even if we assume a very low estimate of 50kt max sustained winds at landfall...Beryl is the strongest recorded TC to hit the US in May since 1908. In 104 years.

If it truly is a 60kt (or higher) landfall, it is the strongest US May hit on record (since HURDAT considers the 1908 storm a 55kt hit).

In the satellite era, the only system that really even compares to Beryl is Alpha of 1972, which hit GA as a 45kt subtropical storm.

Any way you put it, this is a rare breed.

Archived