• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Beryl now TD; Landfall 70 mph Jax Bch 12:10 AM 5/28.; TS warnings lifted for S SC to NE FL

Yea weather is really going downhill. Torrential rain and strong winds. I see people looking at me through their windows like I'm a jackass. lol. I don't care. This is fun!

OK, so are you in a car? Walking around in a raincoat? Details, please.

As I said to Jaguars, I hope ya get raked real good. You guys deserve a little action. :wub:

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't think we'll see a gust on land higher than 60 MPH.

05/27/2012 0830 PM

1 miles N of Mayport, Duval County.

Tropical storm, reported by mesonet.

Mesonet equipment at Huguenot Park recorded a sustained

wind of 54 mph with a peak wind gust of 63 mph.

Huh? There's an inner band that's still well offshore. You can't make an assumption that the higher winds are in that outer band unless you have some recon data to support that.

I think the band hitting the shore now is indeed the eyewall (not just a normal band like coach said). The inner swirl on reflectivity is some sort of mesovortice like structure, definitely not deep convection.

Peak wind gust so far is 63 mph at the mouth of the St. Johns river. I think we'll see gusts around hurricane force or higher in spots over the next 12 hours.

OK, so are you in a car? Walking around in a raincoat? Details, please.

As I said to Jaguars, I hope ya get raked real good. You guys deserve a little action. :wub:

I was going to but once I realized that a lot of trees would be down because this area hasn't had a storm in years, I figured it would be best to stay at the hotel. I went back and forth to the beach until about 8, but now I'm "hunkering down" at the hotel. lol.

Huh? There's an inner band that's still well offshore. You can't make an assumption that the higher winds are in that outer band unless you have some recon data to support that.

The inner core isn't showing on radar. This is a tropical storm still showing sub-tropical characteristics. The inner core isn't going to all of a sudden show up.

I think the band hitting the shore now is indeed the eyewall (not just a normal band like coach said). The inner swirl on reflectivity is some sort of mesovortice like structure, definitely not deep convection.

Peak wind gust so far is 63 mph at the mouth of the St. Johns river. I think we'll see gusts around hurricane force or higher in spots over the next 12 hours.

Agreed. I think sustained winds over 65 mph will be hard to come by at the surface, but gusts to 75-80 possible.

He is talking about the inner band, not the outer band. The inner band is quickly moving inland towards Jacksonville city.

Huh?

I'm on a plane and maybe it's my connection, as I see a static shot of an image from over an hour ago-- and in that image, there's a substantive inner band offshore. (Maybe it's a loop and I'm only seeing a static shot?)

Either way, like I said above, the cyclone's landfall intensity-- and its status as a tropical storm or hurricane-- will not be determined based on surface obs out of JAX; it will be the recon data from before, plus subsequent radar imagery.

Huh?

I'm on a plane and maybe it's my connection, as I see a static shot of an image from over an hour ago-- and in that image, there's a substantive inner band offshore. (Maybe it's a loop and I'm only seeing a static shot?)

Either way, like I said above, the cyclone's landfall intensity-- and its status as a tropical storm or hurricane-- will not be determined based on surface obs out of JAX; it will be the recon data from before, plus subsequent radar imagery.

Yup, that's exactly what it was. He posted a loop but you only could see the first image.

No It's still not a big wind threat. It might go over 60mph, but the Palm trees can take quite a bit of punishment, so FL is less suseptable to power outages.

Jax has a truly massive tree canopy consisting of mainly 3 types of oaks, red maples, cypress (both pond and bald), slash and longleaf pine, and magnolias. Palm trees are everywhere as expected, but Jax's 2nd biggest asset, urban forest, is its biggest threat.

Jax has a truly massive tree canopy consisting of mainly 3 types of oaks, red maples, cypress (both pond and bald), slash and longleaf pine, and magnolias. Palm trees are everywhere as expected, but Jax's 2nd biggest asset, urban forest, is its biggest threat.

Agreed. It's not like this area only has palms, and it has been a *very* long time since JAX has seen any serious pruning from windstorms. I'd say a strong TS or Cat-1 hurricane can produce major wind havoc there. S FL-- particularly areas raked by recent cyclones (Jeanne, Frances, Wilma)-- is probably not as vulnerable.

Archived