northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March, in May........SNE finally gets its XXX winter trough

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

once in awhile--he was one of the OT thread people--yawn....

People who camp out and troll in OT are generally not worth having around. What brings most of us together is a love of weather... not absurd posts in OT about who has the most recent picture of themselves or a new sitcom on ABC.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm just completely suck and have no clue what to do and the only people I know that I can get great advice from are you guys. Perhaps I can go the community college route, however, I have to find out if those classes would transfer over. There is a community college down the street from me in Hartford which I could apply to and such. How would I find out if classes from there would transfer over? Would I contact the admissions office from WCSU?

Hey there!

It's probably very doable. Begin here: http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/transfer.htm#csu which essentially says call and ask us. Here in NH, we have several majors at UNH Manchester which must start at the community college level. It saves students a ton of money and often lets them work part time in their field before moving onto to the UNH system. If CT works like NH, then once you're accepted to the major, you're pretty much guaranteed admission to the university. Sometimes there are restrictions on courses based on the number of people who want a course but that's the case pretty much anywhere.

As others have said, take a breath. There are tons of times in your life when you'll need to regroup and make a new plan. I remember when my BIL came up to visit from Georgia in the middle of a very snowy winter. He went tobagganing at night on our hill and came in complaining about how cold it was. Umm... night, snow in his gloves, Georgia "winter" jacket, yup! he needed a new plan. Instead, he went snowboarding the next day. At least he learned that daytime was substantially warmer...

-monadnocks

Why those places even exist on here boggles my mind.

I like the sports forum but I think OT/AP does generate alot of issues which does spill into the wx side at times.

Hey there!

It's probably very doable. Begin here: http://www.ccc.commn...ransfer.htm#csu which essentially says call and ask us. Here in NH, we have several majors at UNH Manchester which must start at the community college level. It saves students a ton of money and often lets them work part time in their field before moving onto to the UNH system. If CT works like NH, then once you're accepted to the major, you're pretty much guaranteed admission to the university. Sometimes there are restrictions on courses based on the number of people who want a course but that's the case pretty much anywhere.

As others have said, take a breath. There are tons of times in your life when you'll need to regroup and make a new plan. I remember when my BIL came up to visit from Georgia in the middle of a very snowy winter. He went tobagganing at night on our hill and came in complaining about how cold it was. Umm... night, snow in his gloves, Georgia "winter" jacket, yup! he needed a new plan. Instead, he went snowboarding the next day. At least he learned that daytime was substantially warmer...

-monadnocks

This is awesome! Thanks. I'm going to begin the process to join Capital right now for the fall semester! This is the community college I was going to look at, it's like maybe 3 miles up the street and right along the bus line.

I like the sports forum but I think OT/AP does generate alot of issues which does spill into the wx side at times.

This is awesome! Thanks. I'm going to begin the process to join Capital right now for the fall semester! This is the community college I was going to look at, it's like maybe 3 miles up the street and right along the bus line.

Yeah it's a weather forum. If people want to discuss other stuff they should do so on a separate website.

I'm going to end this right here. I apologize to everyone that had to witness it. I've made myself pretty clear. I'm done.

Thanks for the 'schooling' Randy.lol You didn't answer any of my relevant questions but I understand it's hard to address injustice. Too bad we weren't playing chess so I could say "checkmate". Please stop by again soon for another nice chat, this was fun. If you prefer to settle this privately please PM me. I'm a reasonable person and I'm always interested in getting rid of bad blood. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

I have a good friend that messed up at his first attempt at college. He went to a community college for a few semesters then transferred to a university. He got his masters degree then a great job. There is no reason you can't find a similar path. You're a bright kid and you'll do just fine so long as you stay after it.

I have a good friend that messed up at his first attempt at college. He went to a community college for a few semesters then transferred to a university. He got his masters degree then a great job. There is no reason you can't find a similar path. You're a bright kid and you'll do just fine so long as you stay after it.

Now that I'm thinking about it this really isn't all that bad. Before I can even start taking met classes I need to take pre-calc and physics, so even if I were to start at WCSU in the fall I still wouldn't be able to take met classes until the following year anyways.

So I can get take these two at Capitol and get them out of the way and perhaps even take some other general classes. Doing this if I can go to WCSU the following fall I can take more classes needed for my major.

Now that I'm thinking about it this really isn't all that bad. Before I can even start taking met classes I need to take pre-calc and physics, so even if I were to start at WCSU in the fall I still wouldn't be able to take met classes until the following year anyways.

So I can get take these two at Capitol and get them out of the way and perhaps even take some other general classes. Doing this if I can go to WCSU the following fall I can take more classes needed for my major.

You're better off that way. And you better study your butt off for pre-calc and physics. You should be acing both of those at CCC. If you don't have a strong foundation for calc you're totally screwed going forward. Taking those kinds of courses at WCSU is a waste of money to be honest... get them out of the way at CCC.

You're better off that way. And you better study your butt off for pre-calc and physics. You should be acing both of those at CCC. If you don't have a strong foundation for calc you're totally screwed going forward. Taking those kinds of courses at WCSU is a waste of money to be honest... get them out of the way at CCC.

I know I'm going to have trouble with pre-calc and physics, especially considering I haven't done any math in 5-6 years now. It would probably benefit me more just taking these two courses along with one or two others, as opposed to a full schedule of classes as this would give me more time to concentrate on the pre-calc/physics work.

I know I'm going to have trouble with pre-calc and physics, especially considering I haven't done any math in 5-6 years now. It would probably benefit me more just taking these two courses along with one or two others, as opposed to a full schedule of classes as this would give me more time to concentrate on the pre-calc/physics work.

Agreed. If you're struggling/barely passing pre-calc or have no idea what's going on met is definitely not for you. If you work really hard and can focus on not just passing the class but learning the content you'll have a good foundation for the future. Take 3 classes or something your first semester then 3 the second. You'll have 18 credits and be in good shape for WCSU. I would try to make an appointment to meet with admissions people and met people at WCSU to get ideas of what classes to take.

Paul - I was 5 years removed from my most recent math course and 7 years removed from my most recent science course when I quit my job to start the post-bac premed course work at tufts a few years ago. It included physics, chemistry, bio and organic chemistry. I spent some time beforehand watching free lectures on the MIT site to reacquaint myself with some of the material before going to my first lectures. If you have the time to spare, it wouldn't hurt to try and watch some of those lectures online and maybe do some work to get your feet wet before diving right into the course work.

Based on the level of interest and passion you've shown with learning the ins and outs of severe weather I don't doubt that if you focus your passion toward learning this important material as a foundation for your future met classes that you will succeed.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ is the link for the MIT courses - not sure if they offer pre-calc but I imagine a similar type of lecture is available somewhere to help do some pre-work.

Exactly what I did in 90 after being out of college for 12 years. Took math classes at CC, got tons of help before Calc 2, Hydrology, Physics, Stats in college. Tough but hard work paid off. Wiz if you give up every time you get rejected you will never succeed. Failures make you stronger. Ihave faith in you, bury yourself in online study, we are here for you bro for help too!!

Paul - I was 5 years removed from my most recent math course and 7 years removed from my most recent science course when I quit my job to start the post-bac premed course work at tufts a few years ago. It included physics, chemistry, bio and organic chemistry. I spent some time beforehand watching free lectures on the MIT site to reacquaint myself with some of the material before going to my first lectures. If you have the time to spare, it wouldn't hurt to try and watch some of those lectures online and maybe do some work to get your feet wet before diving right into the course work.

Based on the level of interest and passion you've shown with learning the ins and outs of severe weather I don't doubt that if you focus your passion toward learning this important material as a foundation for your future met classes that you will succeed.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ is the link for the MIT courses - not sure if they offer pre-calc but I imagine a similar type of lecture is available somewhere to help do some pre-work.

Exactly what I did in 90 after being out of college for 12 years. Took math classes at CC, got tons of help before Calc 2, Hydrology, Physics, Stats in college. Tough but hard work paid off. Wiz if you give up every time you get rejected you will never succeed. Failures make you stronger. Ihave faith in you, bury yourself in online study, we are here for you bro for help too!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's much appreciated. The application fee for Capitol is only $20 so I will do all that stuff tomorrow and I assume I'll hear back much faster from them than WCSU and then I can begin the financial aid process. Fall classes start on 8/29 which is just over 3 months away so I don't want to waste any time. Also, I think I'm going to look up some pre-calc/physics stuff online and at least get myself a bit familiar with some of the material so I don't go into the class completely clueless.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's much appreciated. The application fee for Capitol is only $20 so I will do all that stuff tomorrow and I assume I'll hear back much faster from them than WCSU and then I can begin the financial aid process. Fall classes start on 8/29 which is just over 3 months away so I don't want to waste any time. Also, I think I'm going to look up some pre-calc/physics stuff online and at least get myself a bit familiar with some of the material so I don't go into the class completely clueless.

Awesome Wiz, follow through, party less/ study more. The only thing that can keep you from succeeding is laziness. Don't be lazy.

Yeah it's a weather forum. If people want to discuss other stuff they should do so on a separate website.

I agree to a certain point. It creates all kind of ill will and carries over to this side. It takes a lot to be banned from a subforum. And especially by unanimous consent of the staff. It's only happened one time in the history of eastern and here. I'd be in favor of scrapping it, but we tried that before and we had a near riot.

Archived