Toothache
Heart of April banter and discussion.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course AFTER the gtg...

Or hit it early then drive to Woosta?

Oh Sh*T! I totally spaced that out. I'll have to go up Sunday, I have a friend visiting from SC and we were going to go Sat. I think he'll be ok with Sunday. Just a training day, laps on the Superstar Quad. The K-1 is a drag. Cascade and Downdraft then a long flat run out to the base.

Oh Sh*T! I totally spaced that out. I'll have to go up Sunday, I have a friend visiting from SC and we were going to go Sat. I think he'll be ok with Sunday. Just a training day, laps on the Superstar Quad. The K-1 is a drag. Cascade and Downdraft then a long flat run out to the base.

Will it still be good on Sunday?

Nice Scott, have a blast man! Looks like some nice weather ahead, going to be a good battle up that way after the weekend early week warmth....I think BOS has a good chance to finish around +6 or so for the month, should be close to +3 after today I would imagine, good battle coming up though, but I would side with persistence, which has been warmth, but who knows?

Amazing how we're sneaking in another much above normal month in what some have seen as a cooldown. I've been home since March 31st for spring break, and I actually think it's been remarkably mild for April...HPN did get down to 31F last week so we've seen freezes across Westchester, but we've not had the grim, rainy days in the upper 30s/low 40s that usually characterize early spring in the Northern Mid-Atlantic region.

1 52 42 47 -1

2 57 40 49 1

3 64 40 52 3

4 68 47 58 9

5 58 42 50 1

6 59 38 49 -1

7 61 40 51 1

8 67 44 56 6

9 64 49 57 6

Central Park's dailies show the mild start with only 2 days slightly below normal and no low temperatures even approaching freezing. Just to put it into perspective on how cold it can be in April even in NYC, Central Park reached 28F on 4/10/1997. Here in Dobbs Ferry, the latest accumulating snow on record was 4/27/1967. It hasn't been a cold spring at all.

Will it still be good on Sunday?

This snow is going to turn to glue as soon as the sun hits it. April sun angle and 2-3 feet of fresh snow equals ACL and knee issues, haha. But of course I will be out there to find out... I just wouldn't go expecting powder conditions (if you could even call it that now) after tomorrow.

Then it won't get good again until it goes through a few freeze/thaw cycles during the day/night to become corn/granular snow again.

Posted this in the NNE thread, but I think some of the SNE folks may find this sort of cool if you like meso-scale stuff.

The inversion is lowering now and its causing orographic blocking so the precipitation has finally left this area and backed into the BTV and Vermont coast of Champlain region. Upslope has been going on for over 36 hours now, however this is the first time its actually backed into BTV area.

This type of ridgetop inversion and orographic blocking is how BTV got 36" of fluff in January 2010 to set their largest snowstorm record. You get the convergence along the lakeshore from friction and the air is so backed up from the mountains that it has no where to go and you end up with the orographic precipitation band well upstream of the actual mountains. You can even still see Mansfield's effects on this whole thing with the heaviest echos about 10-20 miles NW of the actual summit.

Posted this in the NNE thread, but I think some of the SNE folks may find this sort of cool if you like meso-scale stuff.

The inversion is lowering now and its causing orographic blocking so the precipitation has finally left this area and backed into the BTV and Vermont coast of Champlain region. Upslope has been going on for over 36 hours now, however this is the first time its actually backed into BTV area.

This type of ridgetop inversion and orographic blocking is how BTV got 36" of fluff in January 2010 to set their largest snowstorm record. You get the convergence along the lakeshore from friction and the air is so backed up from the mountains that it has no where to go and you end up with the orographic precipitation band well upstream of the actual mountains. You can even still see Mansfield's effects on this whole thing with the heaviest echos about 10-20 miles NW of the actual summit.

The Jan 2010 event was amazing.....I was staying with a friend (skierinvermont, my college roommate) at a cabin on the east side of the Green Mountains, and we had less than 1" of snow overnight. I had to drive back to campus since school was starting up at Middlebury, and I anticipated that the drive might be a little tricky since I saw bands of moderate precipitation on TWC's radar, although I had no idea what had happened. As a precaution, I took I-89 towards BTV planning to take Route 7 south towards Middlebury...this seemed safer than traversing the mountain pass. It was a horrendous drive, snow up to the mailboxes in Burlington, postcard like scene but terrible on the roads. I arrived to 20" on the Middlebury campus at 350' elevation after having just a light dusting at over 1000' elevation on the other side of the spine. One of the weirdest effects I've yet seen. That was the first of two 20" events we had that season, the second being the 2/24 storm.

Archived