• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Stab at a summer outlook ...

Typhoon Tip

Firstly, I fully expect that this thread will get very little attention; it's just not in folks' wheel-house of interest. But here are some thoughts to add to the fray of inevitable seasonal outlooks.

Interesting read if you got the time … http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/90day/fxus05.html

“….THE SEASONAL TEMPERATURE OUTLOOK FOR AMJ 2012 INDICATES BELOW NORMAL MEAN

TEMPERATURES FOR PARTS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND FOR SOUTHWESTERN ALASKA.

PROBABILITIES OF ABOVE NORMAL MEAN TEMPERATURES ARE ENHANCED FROM THE SOUTHWEST

ACROSS TEXAS AND THE SOUTH, INCLUDING THE GULF COAST STATES, TO THE ATLANTIC

COAST STATES, AND NORTHWARD THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY TO THE GREAT LAKES REGION

AND THE NORTHEAST…..”

They have all these forecasting philosophies that also includes the continental starvation of moisture and spring drought aspect…

…6) PERSISTENTLY DRY OR WET SOILS IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER AND SNOW AND ICE

COVER ANOMALIES IN THE WINTER. THESE FACTORS TEND TO PERSIST FOR LONG PERIODS

AND ACT AS A KIND OF MEMORY IN THE CLIMATE SYSTEM…..”

We have multiple teleconnectors, land and sea, pointing toward a warmer than normal summer. It is important to note, however, that on rare occasions very loud statistical precursors fail to realize an accurate prediction - particularly when using those indicators alone.

The NAO has technically entered the multi-decadal negative tendency, however, as this last winter showed, that does not guarantee a season's bias will actually be negative. It's a serrated curve.... The PNA's correlation on summertime circulation overall is much less well defined and non-correlated. The EPO/NAO correlate better. The other consideration is that wave-lengths being smaller in summer means that -NAO vs +NAO would correlated differently. Over the years I have observed that heat on the east coast tends to correlate well with the actual gradient over the Canadian Maritimes. If that field is less vortex stricken heading into latter May, June usually gets toasty. That will be something I'll be looking for as the spring ages.

In the meantime, the canvas clearly appears set up for painting a warm picture, with the attenuating La Nina combined with the on-going drier than normal conditions.

(Scott, notice I didn't say "Sonoran" once ;) )

Firstly, I fully expect that this thread will get very little attention; it's just not in folks' wheel-house of interest. But here are some thoughts to add to the fray of inevitable seasonal outlooks.

Interesting read if you got the time … http://www.cpc.ncep....day/fxus05.html

“….THE SEASONAL TEMPERATURE OUTLOOK FOR AMJ 2012 INDICATES BELOW NORMAL MEAN

TEMPERATURES FOR PARTS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND FOR SOUTHWESTERN ALASKA.

PROBABILITIES OF ABOVE NORMAL MEAN TEMPERATURES ARE ENHANCED FROM THE SOUTHWEST

ACROSS TEXAS AND THE SOUTH, INCLUDING THE GULF COAST STATES, TO THE ATLANTIC

COAST STATES, AND NORTHWARD THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY TO THE GREAT LAKES REGION

AND THE NORTHEAST…..”

They have all these forecasting philosophies that also includes the continental starvation of moisture and spring drought aspect…

…6) PERSISTENTLY DRY OR WET SOILS IN THE SPRING AND SUMMER AND SNOW AND ICE

COVER ANOMALIES IN THE WINTER. THESE FACTORS TEND TO PERSIST FOR LONG PERIODS

AND ACT AS A KIND OF MEMORY IN THE CLIMATE SYSTEM…..”

We have multiple teleconnectors, land and sea, pointing toward a warmer than normal summer. It is important to note, however, that on rare occasions very loud statistical precursors fail to realize an accurate prediction - particularly when using those indicators alone.

The NAO has technically entered the multi-decadal negative tendency, however, as this last winter showed, that does not guarantee a season's bias will actually be negative. It's a serrated curve.... The PNA's correlation on summertime circulation overall is much less well defined and non-correlated. The EPO/NAO correlate better. The other consideration is that wave-lengths being smaller in summer means that -NAO vs +NAO would correlated differently. Over the years I have observed that heat on the east coast tends to correlate well with the actual gradient over the Canadian Maritimes. If that field is less vortex stricken heading into latter May, June usually gets toasty. That will be something I'll be looking for as the spring ages.

In the meantime, the canvas clearly appears set up for painting a warm picture, with the attenuating La Nina combined with the on-going drier than normal conditions.

(Scott, notice I didn't say "Sonoran" once ;) )

Oh but you did.............lol

Nice write up, I hope you are spot on

Sounds like something to really look forward to...high heat, no humidity, no t-storms and a drought

Word...

although - low precip still can have thunder. Could be an interesting year if the central and eastern semi-perm heat dome sets up, because we could end up with NW-SE MCS activity in the means...

Word...

although - low precip still can have thunder. Could be an interesting year if the central and eastern semi-perm heat dome sets up, because we could end up with NW-SE MCS activity in the means...

Rounding the ridge sort of idea? Hopefully it stays far enough SW of here so that we do get some of those overnight storms that rumble down out of Canada.

It's dry here and this summer is already concerning me some. A lot of people around here have dug/shallow wells that rely on fairly consistent precip the year through, including us. Might be a lot of lake-bathing this summer... Which isn't terrible actually.

I'm actually surprised to see it this dry in the west considering the troughing they've had at times...

drmon.gif

They've had a wayyyy below normal winter in terms of snowfall in a lot of areas... the Sierra especially (places that average 450-500" of snow are at 200" on the season). But even UT/CO are down by more than 25-33%.

The high pacific NW and up into British Columbia is the only area that's been near normal or above with regards to seasonal snowfall departures from average.

Archived