joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2012 General Discussion

Guru Of Reason

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geos, I read that they were officially opening Illinois Beach State Park today after all the closure resulting from the extremely damaging storms last summer.

The south unit was closed. The north side was closed for a short time. We had 3 wind damage events. They were outflows from thunderstorms. 2 were particularly bad and hit the park within 2 weeks. June 30th and July 11th. The first one was the worst. Winds gusted through the park at 90mph taking down entire trees and causing structural damage in town and to the parks buildings. The 11th storms wasn't quite as intense, but there was still limbs in trees that were already broken and they came down with 70mph winds from that event. Entire roads were blocked up to 24 hours after those storms, due to the amount of debris and powerlines laying across them! It was a mess.

Here is a picture of the outflow and a couple pictures of the aftermath in Carol Beach right across the border.

262379_2196351835247_1440765701_2493247_261733_n.jpg

268396_2196352475263_1440765701_2493248_4181762_n.jpg

270541_2196352875273_1440765701_2493249_5221615_n.jpg

Not possible, Georgia can not freeze that late in the season.

Actually they have an can during the first half of the month in the northern part. Atlanta, April 7th, 2007 - record low of 28°. At the NW corner of the state - Chattanooga, TN has freezed or experienced frost through about the 25th of the month. April 3rd, 1992 - 25°.

Palm army. It's what gets me through crappy days like the past few.

Cool palms! Are you going to start a palm forest in Saukville!?

What kind are they? I've been growing different types of ferns. They have that prehistoric look to them, which I think is cool. Got plenty of shade in the yard, which they love.

Btw I think there was a misconception with my post being complaining about the cold this morning. I am more complaining about the potential inactive period forthcoming combined with the inactive period we have been in besides Friday. Of course if it is going to be inactive I'd rather it be warm vs cold and sunny vs cloudy. Cool and cloudy though average for here isn't something to be excited about.

Cool palms! Are you going to start a palm forest in Saukville!?

What kind are they? I've been growing different types of ferns. They have that prehistoric look to them, which I think is cool. Got plenty of shade in the yard, which they love.

They are windmill palm seedlings. I plan on selling them in the local market to hopefully increase the usage of palms up here. These are cold hardy to 5F and don't require much protection to get them through our winters (especially being close to the lake). Mine sit between 20-35F all winter with minor protection and it doesn't phase them. Planting these palms along a warm foundation also helps wonders, as the ground barely freezes.

Here is my oldest one, planted as a tiny 3 gallon in July of 2008. So it's been through 4 of our winters so far.

dbc3069b.jpg

They are windmill palm seedlings. I plan on selling them in the local market to hopefully increase the usage of palms up here. These are cold hardy to 5F and don't require much protection to get them through our winters (especially being close to the lake). Mine sit between 20-35F all winter with minor protection and it doesn't phase them. Planting these palms along a warm foundation also helps wonders, as the ground barely freezes.

Here is my oldest one, planted as a tiny 3 gallon in July of 2008. So it's been through 4 of our winters so far.

That's a good sized palm for being that old. That dark stone on your house helps retain the daytime heat too I bet. Wow, 5°F - I wouldn't have guessed they could survive to that level!

Long range doesn't look impressive for heat in these parts... Not thinking we see 70F again for a while (weeks?).

2012040200_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

You could easily hit 70 in that prog. One day in the warm sector of a good cyclone. A normal run of the mill April as it looks. Still warner than last years April.

Hmmm.... 2009 redo? Really thinking we pay big time soon. June - September is starting to look ugly. If a strong nino develops, lock this in ... with moderating temperatures by November 1st in time for another mild nino winter. June and July look like -NAO / +PNA

post-5896-0-12698500-1333388001.gif

Does the map above look familiar for June and July? Step back 3 years.

post-5896-0-98765900-1333387892.gif

Archived