• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Early April Winter Pattern Likely

CoastalWx

GFS coming in a lot further north with that system now...so it may be climbing on board. Its fast like the NAM though...has it snowing in most of SNE by 78-84h. Its a little warmer and further north than the NAM too...it hammers the pike region...changes to rain in CT after some front end snow.

we just need the precip so badly, I don't care what falls. I've never seen it this dry this early. Scary stuff.

Sounds like it's coming around to all of us getting good precip this weekend which is great news.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, would you say with the strong confluence to our NE this has a chance of being a little bit further south than where the GFS has it?

Yeah I'd thing so...the system will have to fight to gain latitude as messenger said because of the confluence to the northeast. The Euro has a different evolution so we'll have to see how it plays out...in a complex pattern like this, the Euro is probably going to handle it better...but its interesting that the GFS has caught on tot he faster idea...maybe the Euro will too at 00z.

GGEM is slower like the Euro...a bit more suppressed though...it has the best snow in CT. But probably still gives most of SNE at least an inch or two, with the 3-6 or 4-8 type stuff south of the pike. Though there are ptype issues in southern half of CT.

just saw the gfs wow!! Forecast for 50's and 60's this weekend are in serious trouble! :snowing:

I dont think a single model has upper 50s and low 60s now for the weekend. Def gonna have to revise that forecast. Such is the game in April when an airmass that produces a high of 57F under full sun can also produce a plastering of wet snow.

The amount of cold air into central/eastern Canada in the long range on GFS is pretty remarkable...considering what it looked like just recently during the torch. Euro ensembles support the big cold influx too. It actually has the coldest 850 temps there at the end of its run despite being much further into April.

Seeing this pattern on the models right now is making me cringe almost...if only we had this in winter. We joked a couple weeks ago when the weeklies showed that pattern that it was ironic that the pattern we were waiting for all winter happens in early April...well it looks like the weeklies were right.

Hopefully we can cash in on this...the time of year is working against us, but itsa pretty good pattern, esp for the interior.

GFS ensembles are south of the OP for Saturday...but not a surprise...still much further north than previous ensemble mean. Its odd to me that the ensembles don't seem to have any slower runs like the GGEM or Euro...obviously that is a red flag in the modeling right now...the huge difference in timing.

GEFS continue to show a remarkable torch cutter around 4/3...Euro ensembles had it much more suppressed....we'll see who wins. GEFS do have the 4/6 event that the OP has and the Euro ensembles have...a fairly decent signal, but not overly robust either. But its there.

Euro is really sloppy with the phase of the 4/1-4/2..it has some snow but likely changing to rain south of the pike and perhaps even up to Rt 2. Its not a ton of qpf as the bulk of the system slides south. Its a very messy look at H5 so this obviously has alot of work to do...and will likely change a lot on the models aswe get closer just looking on how complex it is. There is no qpf into CNE/NNE.

Archived