Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

I still don't understand some of the numbers some people (media types, weenies, nws in some cases) are putting out. So unbelievably bullish when many of the signs besides warm 850s just aren't there.

NWS very, very bullish. 79F for a day 6 forecast in mid/late March?

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming southwest between 5 and 8 mph.

Sunday Night: Patchy fog between 3am and 4am, then Patchy fog after 5am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 44.

Monday: Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 71.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 77.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 50.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 79.

NWS very, very bullish. 79F for a day 6 forecast in mid/late March?

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming southwest between 5 and 8 mph.

Sunday Night: Patchy fog between 3am and 4am, then Patchy fog after 5am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 44.

Monday: Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 71.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 47.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 75.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 52.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 77.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 50.

Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 79.

Well the zone forecasts are less bullish. I hate those point and clicks.

lol

I still don't understand some of the numbers some people (media types, weenies, nws in some cases) are putting out. So unbelievably bullish when many of the signs besides warm 850s just aren't there.

90's. 3-day heat wave likely.

Meanwhile it's 34.3F with low clouds and rain in Plymouth right now.

Well the zone forecasts are less bullish. I hate those point and clicks.

True, I don't understand the layout of the NWS, because I used to only know about point and clicks, but its what the public sees if they are not going to weather.com, so I think more care should probably put into them. Even TWC isn't as warm as the P+C.

Getting back to that upper level low screwing things up next week...if that approaches like the models have...you'll have a component a little too southerly which mutes the warmth. Still very warm, but it may mean the difference between 74 and 80. NNE FTW. Might have to wait until Thursday or Friday for better warmth.

True, I don't understand the layout of the NWS, because I used to only know about point and clicks, but its what the public sees if they are not going to weather.com, so I think more care should probably put into them. Even TWC isn't as warm as the P+C.

I mean it is possible, but there are other factors that need to come together.

I would say more than a one day break....Its been miserable here since mid afternoon on Wednesday, the temperature briefly spiked yesterday afternoon into the mid 40s, but it was very short lived - the majority of the day was cold and raw in the 30s. I hope tomorrow turns out nice, but I am not as optimistic....think it turns out only slightly nicer than today. 38F here

True...people aren't getting the message that its colder or don't care, you would think it was going to be 65F in sunny but what people are wearing ...lol.

I understand, i just don't know why the P+C isn't worked on more when that's what most people who go to NWS use for temps.

P&C is based on a gridded forecast. NWS forecasts for specific points and the software generally does the rest so someone looking for a forecast at a specific point can get one. The ZFP is a legacy product that is generated from the gridded forecast that drives the P&C. The P&C and ZFP are derived from the same forecast, just different formats. Once in a while you see something nonsensical in the zones since they aren't human generated, so the NWS can go in and tweak them if they want. As I understand it they don't spend any time on zones per se, but rather the forecast itself instead of the formatting of it.

As predicted yesterday... the day's mirk and chill is completely biasing the tempo of the posting toward sarcasm and disrespect to the fact that we are embedded in an overall warm regime ...one that will prove as such over the next 5 days.

Don't rush things ...

P&C is based on a gridded forecast. NWS forecasts for specific points and the software generally does the rest so someone looking for a forecast at a specific point can get one. The ZFP is a legacy product that is generated from the gridded forecast that drives the P&C. The P&C and ZFP are derived from the same forecast, just different formats. Once in a while you see something nonsensical in the zones since they aren't human generated, so the NWS can go in and tweak them if they want. As I understand it they don't spend any time on zones per se, but rather the forecast itself instead of the formatting of it.

Makes sense. I didn't understand that before. Thanks.

Archived