Newest Member
    joxey
Threat for thunderstorms Tuesday, March 13th, 2012

weatherwiz

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Wiz...

I'm on the mids this week, though not doing short term.

I did let him know about the SEE TEXT, and he already saw it. Also already saw the line of C/G lightning heading out of SE Michigan at 04Z tonight. Remember...look to Michigan for possible severe here in W-NW flow aloft! Still think it's kind of soon, though. Noticing SW low level flow ahead of front/weak low pres moving through between 21Z Tue and 00Z Wed. Pretty cold waters to the S. Wouldn't surprise me to see TSTMs, but severe...am not too impressed at this point.

Just my 2 cents.

--Turtle

Hey Wiz...

I'm on the mids this week, though not doing short term.

I did let him know about the SEE TEXT, and he already saw it. Also already saw the line of C/G lightning heading out of SE Michigan at 04Z tonight. Remember...look to Michigan for possible severe here in W-NW flow aloft! Still think it's kind of soon, though. Noticing SW low level flow ahead of front/weak low pres moving through between 21Z Tue and 00Z Wed. Pretty cold waters to the S. Wouldn't surprise me to see TSTMs, but severe...am not too impressed at this point.

Just my 2 cents.

--Turtle

I agree...I don't think we see much in the way of severe at all...in fact any reports should be below severe criteria. While the instability we should have looks similar to what they had across MI the shear is going to be significantly less and the lift won't nearly be as strong and convergence will be weaker.

I would think storms though probably fizzle out very quickly as they move east as timing will be during the loss of heating/instability.

I agree...I don't think we see much in the way of severe at all...in fact any reports should be below severe criteria. While the instability we should have looks similar to what they had across MI the shear is going to be significantly less and the lift won't nearly be as strong and convergence will be weaker.

I would think storms though probably fizzle out very quickly as they move east as timing will be during the loss of heating/instability.

Agreed, Paul.

--Turtle

Still have a SEE TEXT!!!

Western Mass and CT in a 5% hail and wind area, and after the Winter that as rather fail after Halloween, I'll be rooting for y'all.

Latest 21Z RUC BDL forecast skew-T isn't all that impressive, but I am always a glass sixteenth full optimistic.

For some reason mesoanalysis not working on my phone. Can someone post the following values:

SBcape

MLcape

MUcape

LI

Mlvl lapse rates

Llvl lapse rates

0-6km shear

0-1km helicity

0-3km helicity

For MA and CT west of the river:

SBcape < 250 J/Kg

MUcape between 150 and 350 J/Kg

LI 1

mlvl & llvl lapse rates ~7 C/Km

0-6km shear 40 kts

0-1 helicity ~100 m2/s2

0-3 helicity ~125 m2/s2

Pretty hard to get excited about

For MA and CT west of the river:

SBcape < 250 J/Kg

MUcape between 150 and 350 J/Kg

LI 1

mlvl & llvl lapse rates ~7 C/Km

0-6km shear 40 kts

0-1 helicity ~100 m2/s2

0-3 helicity ~125 m2/s2

Pretty hard to get excited about

Thanks...yeah numbers aren't impressive and little in the way of convergence. I think there is a weak cap too in place.

Wiz FTW while Kev dreams of days and days of 80s next week

SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE RAPIDLY DEVELOPED

OVER THE PAST HOUR TO THE NORTH OF THE MA TURNPIKE. APPEARS THAT

THERE IS JUST ENOUGH INSTABILITY IN THE VICINITY OF WEAK SURFACE

CONVERGENCE TO RESULT IN THESE SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED

THUNDERSTORMS. THIS ACTIVITY WILL PROBABLY DIMINISH A FEW HOURS

AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Archived