Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

Gastonwxman

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPC does have Day 3 slight.

WRAL is talking about an elevated risk of severe weather in central and eastern NC this Saturday. I haven't seen anything here about it, though.

They mention local wind and marginal hail. I like the omission or the T word. Back veer back issues should limit the tornado threat. The 0-1km shear may be pretty good; it's the one reason I don't say eliminate tornado threat. Still believe Carolina residents can rest easy this weekend.

Up to 9,369 today. Pretty amazing numbers there considering the previous all-time record was only 6,013.

Well it's obvious that there are not suddenly 50% more grass and trees so I, of course, have a theory. It's a good news, bad news thing. The bad news is already occurring of course with the record pollen counts. The good news is it should be a shorter than normal allergy season.

My reasoning is this. The quick and prolonged change to uninterrupted abnormally warm weather has caused everything to bloom at once. Plants that normally bloom in March, April and even some in early May are all coming out at once. I have a lot of old well established azaleas that have always bloomed from mid April into early May. Right after the Masters. :) They are well on their way to full bloom. There has always been a progression through the different types but this year they are all coming out at the same time. I look for the pollen counts to probably be lower than normal by mid to late April.

Here are a few pics of some of my azaleas from several years ago.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Well it's obvious that there are not suddenly 50% more grass and trees so I, of course, have a theory. It's a good news, bad news thing. The bad news is already occurring of course with the record pollen counts. The good news is it should be a shorter than normal allergy season.

My reasoning is this. The quick and prolonged change to uninterrupted abnormally warm weather has caused everything to bloom at once. Plants that normally bloom in March, April and even some in early May are all coming out at once. I have a lot of old well established azaleas that have always bloomed from mid April into early May. Right after the Masters. :) They are well on their way to full bloom. There has always been a progression through the different types but this year they are all coming out at the same time. I look for the pollen counts to probably be lower than normal by mid to late April.

Here are a few pics of some of my azaleas from several years ago.

Beautiful azaleas :)

Mr. Burns, I like your theory. I think you are on to something. My hope is we will get 90's and 100's out of the way in April and May then 70's and 60's in June and July, and finally, winter begins in August with sleet and zrain thru Sept, and snow falling as well, starting in Oct.!! This is the kind of acceleration of weather patterns I'm hoping for :)

Nice bloomers, by the way. My azaleas were amazing two years ago, but last year not so much and they are only putting out a few blooms so far this year. T

Anyone else got hostas popping up? I was weed whacking the other day and had to stop. We've got a couple dozen of these guys shooting up in the garden, a good 6 weeks ahead of schedule!

Yep, our nubs in the ground are about 3", the ones in pots are fully leaved out. Saw several lightning bugs last night! Toads are hopping about the yard, but not singing yet.

The crazy warm weather has been incredible,but this is crazy,I just saw my first lightning bug of the year!! That's about 2 months ahead of schedule.amazing!!

I've had lightening bugs for 2 weeks :) I'm having to watch where I put my hands and what I turn over as the wasps are building nests already.

I am just thankful I'm not slapping mosquitos yet! T

I've had lightening bugs for 2 weeks :) I'm having to watch where I put my hands and what I turn over as the wasps are building nests already.

I am just thankful I'm not slapping mosquitos yet! T

I haven't seen any lightning bugs here yet but the mosquitos were out at the ballfield last week :(

It is going to have to warm up quick this afternoon to reach the high of 78 that is forecasted here. It's been a cloudy, chilly, and windy morning and sitting at just 60 now.

It rebounded 35 degrees from the morning low here today, from 42 to 77.

Archived