joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012........Happy Sping

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little warm eh? but anyway Joe no one in the SNE crew wants to talk about winter anymore from what I gather this morning its all about your torch from here on out. Congrats. Wonderful scenes out of snow covered country this morning.

Eh' I've got solid snowpack of 6-7" it's 27F imby and we're looking at wintery mix to rain tonight/saturday which should freeze solid tomorrow night and sunday night so it'll be winter in central and western New England for the week ahead.

2011-2012 was far from the worst in CT.

I agree. 2001-2002 was far worse here. It was milder and we had less snow. The only upside to that winter was it snowed on May 18th which is the latest that I've seen snow here. I only had a coating but I think higher elevations saw several inches. That was also after a three day heat wave in late April so you really never know!

I'm at 29.9" for the season which is only the 4th lowest I've seen since 1986. If I can get another 0.2" it will be the 5th lowest and I'm pretty sure we can squeeze that out at some point in the next few months.

1979-1980 was equally bad and we had even less snow and we went months with only traces. At least this winter has seen accumulating snow from time to time. Maybe not block busters, but at least accumulating.

The thing I lament about this winter is the lack of a true snow pack here. I know that some had one in other places but I really think that was more luck than anything with how some of the storms tracked. I wasn't so lucky. Normally I average 73 continuous days with snow cover - this year I had a maximum of 12!

<p>

as a region Brian, any snow measured counts Met season or not.

I think you'd want to compare with the 10/30 12z map...not November 1. I agree that regionwide the best coverage is now considering far NNE has heavy depths, but I think for many that post here that the morning of 10/30 was the deepest. Regardless, this is the most it's looked like winter all season.

<p>I tell ya the 12 Z GFS through day 8 is a helluva way to run a MOrch., if that verified the first 10 days of MORch would be AOBN

? As alluded to in the first post the warmth arrives on the 7th which the gfs plainly shows, its 2-3 well above normal, a brief cool down followed by more well above normal warmth, who said it was supposed to be warm before the 7th?

Snowfall isnt really bad here either...27 inches so far, only twenty inches below what I use for normal for spfd and last year we were twenty two inches above normal. I remember 88-89 when I lived in Bristol Ct we had13.2 inches for the season wwhich was the only season under 20 inches I have ever recorded livng in sne...

I think you'd want to compare with the 10/30 12z map...not November 1. I agree that regionwide the best coverage is now considering far NNE has heavy depths, but I think for many that post here that the morning of 10/30 was the deepest. Regardless, this is the most it's looked like winter all season.

HERE WE GO

flurries here on return flow off the ocean, hrrr showed this all day, some better returns organizing now around li and just south. ....yay. LOL

Holy crap, did not even look until you mentioned it, south shore of LI , Geez. Have you cached a radar return on your browser? I used IE for the first time since last year on my PC and hit the NWS link for OKX and the radar was nuts, I said WTF then hit refresh and todays showed up, it was not until I hit the button did I see it was from 1/27/11, stupid me I could have saved it.

Holy crap, did not even look until you mentioned it, south shore of LI , Geez. Have you cached a radar return on your browser? I used IE for the first time since last year on my PC and hit the NWS link for OKX and the radar was nuts, I said WTF then hit refresh and todays showed up, it was not until I hit the button did I see it was from 1/27/11, stupid me I could have saved it.

No, I have been using Safari, downloaded ie9 for work the other day, its absolutely horrific. Looks like you will see some flurries/light snow later hopefully that nice batch holds together, even a flurry is a win here this winter lol

:weenie:

Duh me. close enough I guess what day did it stop snowing?

The morning of the 30th. Our snow depth from that storm epically got eaten away from day to day. That morning it was at 18", but we lost 5" in each of the next 2 days to be down to 8" on the morning of 11/1. 2 more days later and we were down to 1". Great memories though.

Archived