joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012........Happy Sping

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I experienced a DJF equivalent to litchfieldlibation's climo.

At least today was really nice and wintry.

Yeah thats awesome, I was cheering you guys on the last few days, glad most of you got a nice long duration event, I am sure there is more snow to come this season, enjoy the snow.

The long-range 18z and 12z GFS has a look more typical of mid-late April than mid-March. The 0C 850 contour is way up towards James Bay, we're seeing deep lows cutting across the Canadian Prairies, and 20C 850s are moving into the Southwest and Southern Plains. Very disappointing.

I would take anything modeled beyond day 7 (pattern recognition aside) with a huge grain of sea salt. Tis' March, wavelengths beginning to shorten, cutoffs will fly, while the overall theme of this month should be warm, surprises will abound and sneak up on all of us. I am positive there will be a few diamonds in the rough for the usual suspects, just too much volatility in the atmosphere for 7-14 days stretches of warmth.

Later Sunday/Monday is a perfect example, its so so close to being a east coast snow storm, so close.

Over all the month averaged, I believe will be torchalicious.

I would take anything modeled beyond day 7 (pattern recognition aside) with a huge grain of sea salt. Tis' March, wavelengths beginning to shorten, cutoffs will fly, while the overall theme of this month should be warm, surprises will abound and sneak up on all of us. I am positive there will be a few diamonds in the rough for the usual suspects, just too much volatility in the atmosphere for 7-14 days stretches of warmth.

Later Sunday/Monday is a perfect example, its so so close to being a east coast snow storm, so close.

Over all the month averaged, I believe will be torchalicious.

I definitely think there's a chance Monday with the vort dropping into the trough, but the pattern is looking absolutely torrid after that. With increasing troughing over the West Coast and a vicious +EPO spreading warmth into the Plains, I wouldn't be surprised if the month averages out very warm. There's a chance a few Canadian highs come down and give New England a break from the torch while the SE and Plains bake, such as the 18z GFS showed for later next week, but I could still see another month in the 4-6F above average range. The cold air retreats to Greenland and Alaska, and with limited snow cover across the country compared to normal the sun angle will do its damage. The 18z GFS, 12z GFS, and 12z ECM all agreed it would become toasty in the 8-10 day range, so the models seem pretty locked.

When do you usually start doing properties? And I assume this year there will be an early start...

I have already started spring cleanups. Designs are done for spring, I planted my first perennial garden April 14th last year, overnight lows down here were very warm mid to late March into April, but the more succulent perennials wait till just before Mothers Day.

When soil temps hit 50 I will fertilize, then overseed 3 weeks later.

I expect an early green up this season. (down here)

I have already started spring cleanups. Designs are done for spring, I planted my first perennial garden April 14th last year, overnight lows down here were very warm mid to late March into April, but the more suculent perennials wait till just before Mothers Day.

When soil temps hit 50 I will fertilize, then overseed 3 weeks later.

I expect an early green up this season. (down here)

Joe,

I'm going to be home from March 31-April 13 for spring break. Do you expect the more attractive trees like magnolias, Bradford pears, etc to be open in Dobbs Ferry during that time given the mild weather pattern? What about leaf-out for NYC metro? You probably have a better handle on these things than I being a gardener.

Joe,

I'm going to be home from March 31-April 13 for spring break. Do you expect the more attractive trees like magnolias, Bradford pears, etc to be open in Dobbs Ferry during that time given the mild weather pattern? What about leaf-out for NYC metro? You probably have a better handle on these things than I being a gardener.

Thats impossible to say, having said that things are way ahead of schedule in the city, the Botanical gardens in the city are alive with color, I think there is a good chance the star and disc magnolia's could be in bloom then, heck there are shome rhody's around here that are in bloom now, the early variety.

Mother Nature has certainly thrown a monkey wrench to the plant kingdom this winter.............3 weeks ago daff's were blooming on the cape, only reason I know is because of a video somebody posted here. I noticed today that the Maiden grasses in my front yard have new growth on them, after this wet period with some warm temps anything is possible.

No wasting time. MORCH ON. But still, man the hype for this warm-up is already huge. I heard people today talking about 70F here. Probably thanks to the one and only...Pete B! :sizzle:

7day_wide_629x354.jpg?20120301042916

If the euro ensembles are right, it could be near 70 on Friday. Boredom season 2012 is here.

Archived