• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 23-24th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

23z sfc analysis has the low around PAH. 3 hr press falls along the OH River. Looks like about 50 miles south of where the 18z NAM/GFS progged the low. I know, probably straw grasping, but without it, you end up with that ^^^^

Are you suggesting that maybe the NAM/GFS are too far north with the low placement. And BTW how did the RGEM look?

Sorry I'm not near a computer I'm on my ipod so it cant load the images for some reason

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you suggesting that maybe the NAM/GFS are too far north with the low placement. And BTW how did the RGEM look?

Sorry I'm not near a computer I'm on my ipod so it cant load the images for some reason

18z RGEM was slightly further south than the 18z Nam. It showed more snowfall in the region. 4-8"...closer to 2-4" near the lake.

Again I would worry about the placement of the LP anomaly and where the precip shield tracks. 0z RUC and HRRR will be interesting.

Hmm any thoughts as to whether or not this can slide slightly further south than what the 18z Nam or the GFS depicted. A slightly further south track than those models would put me back in the jackpot similar to what the 18z RGEM showed.

Given my location, upper air temps and sfc temps are conductive for snowfall to fall and stick though relatively low snow ratios. I dont think the atmosphere is conductive enough for Thundersnow in my area but its possible though.

Just want your opinion on that.

Thanks!

Probably not, the surface low is already beginning to take a neutral to northward track, and I don't think there will be any more south "trends" since the jet is no longer amplifying via latest WV as well as model indicated. I doubt that secondary defo band as the mid level wave begins tanking will dive S for any reason, but that is a general idea. I honestly have not been looking terribly close for Toronto...I am sure SSC has more info on it than I.

Really liking the 6-9z period around here, sitting right on the nose of the left exit region of the jet with mid-level temps steepening the lapse rates aloft.

Extremely impressive. The radars will be awesome to watch over the next 6-12hrs. Looks like the north/south oriented wave near the Mississippi could blow up into some nice convective precip at any time. Already some interesting little returns mixed in near the QC.

EDIT: and also down towards Burlington.

Probably not, the surface low is already beginning to take a neutral to northward track, and I don't think there will be any more south "trends" since the jet is no longer amplifying via latest WV as well as model indicated. I doubt that secondary defo band as the mid level wave begins tanking will dive S for any reason, but that is a general idea. I honestly have not been looking terribly close for Toronto...I am sure SSC has more info on it than I.

Personally I believe the 18z Nam was too far north as the 18z RGEM and the latest RUC trended a bit further south with the precip shield. Again lets see. This is the first "widespread" storm across my region since 08-09 lol.

Based on current OBS, I agree with you. Again It will be interesting to follow the secondary deformation band.

I hope your enjoying Winter man. Good luck :)

Well, looking at the current trends, seems like the warning for Wayne County in MI should be downgraded. Looking more like a storm for the thumb area. Good for them I suppose. I was hoping to see a decent storm, and now it looks I'll be lucky to pull in a few inches. It's the weather, what can ya do?

portion of Izzi's aviation update...

SUSPECT COOLING REQUIRED TO CAUSE A CHANGE

OVER TO WET SNOW WILL BE DRIVEN LARGELY BY DYNAMIC COOLING/ASCENT

AS THE UPPER LOW APPROACHES...SO THIS MAKES TIMING SOMEWHAT

TRICKY. TRENDS IN SHORT RANGE MODELS AS WELL AS SATELLITE IMAGERY

TEND TO SUPPORT A SLOWER CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW AND HAVE DELAYED

THE SWITCH-OVER ANOTHER HOUR WITH THE LATEST SET OF TAFS.

ONCE BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW DEVELOPS WOULD ANTICIPATE

SEEING A A GOOD 4-6 HOUR LONG PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AT

THE CHGO METRO TERMINALS FROM LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH MUCH OF

THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. SLOWER MOVEMENT OF THE UPPER LOW ALSO

SUPPORTS HANGING ONTO THE HEAVIER/ACCUMULATING SNOW LATER INTO THE

NIGHT/EARLY MORNING FRIDAY. HAVE CONTINUED WITH IFR VSBY SNOW

THROUGH 14Z...BUT ACTUALLY WORRIED THAT THE SNOW COULD BE HEAVIER

EVEN INTO THE FIRST PART OF THE DAY WHEN MORNING TRAFFIC PICKS UP.

HAVE MAINTAINED TEMPO FOR +TSSN IN THE TAFS AS OBSERVATIONAL DATA

AND SPC MESOANALYSIS DATA CONTINUE TO SUGGEST THE PRESENCE OF WEAK

INSTABILITY WHICH COMBINED WITH STRONG FORCING WOULD SEEM TO

SUPPORT THE THREAT OF EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING OVERNIGHT.

portion of Izzi's aviation update...

SUSPECT COOLING REQUIRED TO CAUSE A CHANGE

OVER TO WET SNOW WILL BE DRIVEN LARGELY BY DYNAMIC COOLING/ASCENT

AS THE UPPER LOW APPROACHES...SO THIS MAKES TIMING SOMEWHAT

TRICKY. TRENDS IN SHORT RANGE MODELS AS WELL AS SATELLITE IMAGERY

TEND TO SUPPORT A SLOWER CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW AND HAVE DELAYED

THE SWITCH-OVER ANOTHER HOUR WITH THE LATEST SET OF TAFS.

ONCE BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW DEVELOPS WOULD ANTICIPATE

SEEING A A GOOD 4-6 HOUR LONG PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AT

THE CHGO METRO TERMINALS FROM LATE THIS EVENING THROUGH MUCH OF

THE OVERNIGHT HOURS. SLOWER MOVEMENT OF THE UPPER LOW ALSO

SUPPORTS HANGING ONTO THE HEAVIER/ACCUMULATING SNOW LATER INTO THE

NIGHT/EARLY MORNING FRIDAY. HAVE CONTINUED WITH IFR VSBY SNOW

THROUGH 14Z...BUT ACTUALLY WORRIED THAT THE SNOW COULD BE HEAVIER

EVEN INTO THE FIRST PART OF THE DAY WHEN MORNING TRAFFIC PICKS UP.

HAVE MAINTAINED TEMPO FOR +TSSN IN THE TAFS AS OBSERVATIONAL DATA

AND SPC MESOANALYSIS DATA CONTINUE TO SUGGEST THE PRESENCE OF WEAK

INSTABILITY WHICH COMBINED WITH STRONG FORCING WOULD SEEM TO

SUPPORT THE THREAT OF EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING OVERNIGHT.

jives with what the hi-res have been showing show a while now.

We'll see. It's not unprecedented. Dec 15-16, 2007 had the models go nuts with the development of the sfc low around 24 hours out only to ease it back 12 hours later. And the upper level component in that case was much more vigorous than this one.

That being said, RUC is still pretty far west with the storm. We'll see. Absence of true bombing, it seems sort of anomalous for a sfc low to abruptly shift to a meridional track.

My mom has pictures of me playing in the snow during that blizzard. She told me you were off school for like a week lol. I was too young to remember. In kindergarten lol.

I was in Grade 13. Incredible storm, one of the best of my life. The others are december 10-11,1992, December 11-12, 2000, December 16, 2007, March 8, 2008, December 9-10, 2008.

Where is organizing low?

We'll see. It's not unprecedented. Dec 15-16, 2007 had the models go nuts with the development of the sfc low around 24 hours out only to ease it back 12 hours later. And the upper level component in that case was much more vigorous than this one.

That being said, RUC is still pretty far west with the storm. We'll see. Absence of true bombing, it seems sort of anomalous for a sfc low to abruptly shift to a meridional track.

On a positive note, my temperature has dropped to 32F. Being away from the lake may be a positive in this storm.

Well, looking at the current trends, seems like the warning for Wayne County in MI should be downgraded. Looking more like a storm for the thumb area. Good for them I suppose. I was hoping to see a decent storm, and now it looks I'll be lucky to pull in a few inches. It's the weather, what can ya do?

1st weenie suicide of the night.

Lol

I would be shocked if DTX dropped the warning for Wayne. The placement of the dryslot is a roll of the dice. The high res are decent guess but that's about it.

Friendly reminder. The HRRR an RUC are not gospel.

No, but completely ignoring them is just as silly. And really I'd trust these too models a lot more right now then what the GFS and NAM or some non-hi-res model shows.

Also you were the first one to call out a dryslot last night lol. You have to be trollin'

Archived