12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 23-24th Winter Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upon further, more detailed inspection of the precipitation- its a majority of sleet. A few snow grains getting spit in here and there. Sleet is coming down pretty good. The accumulation here right now is about .2" of pure sleet. its sticking to the less traveled pavement, ground, and cars. Main roads just look and are wet. Didn't see any evidence of graupel here. There were some bigger chunks of sleet- but they were bits of pure hard ice pellets not soft and mushy like graupel typically is.

Despite decent radar returns overhead, there's nothing actually coming down. Sitting at 36* atm.

EDIT:

I look outside and see no precip, type this out and post it, and then look outside again and stuff is coming down lol. Looks like pixie dust snow/drizzle.

for those that have decent radar software and want to check it out...

the waves BI, TH and QV were discussing earlier once again have been showing up on KDVN (BV 0.5)...from around Wapello, IA to Prophetstown, IL. they're best seen from 8:15-9:25 south of MLI.

edit: they now show up on KLOT too, west of Yorkville...after 8:40.

I'm hoping Environment Canada scores a coup here. I well remember March 2001 when what looked like a non event the night before turned into 20cm for Toronto. I also remember December 9, 2008 when Ottawa ended up with 32cm when the night before they had been calling for it to turn to rain with the temperature forecast up to 45F!

Archived